It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
(male)

Kevin74 HB User
Low platelets and fatigue

Hello, last time I checked my blood platelet count was 115. Normal range is between 150-400. Would my low platelets cause me to fatigue easier?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Low platelets and fatigue

Have you been given a reason for the low count? At least one study done on people with thrombocytopenia (low platelets) found that counts below 100K can sometimes cause fatigue. It's less likely that your count is causing yours, but I guess it isn't impossible. Might be better to investigate more common causes of fatigue in your case. Anemia or low thyroid, perhaps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
(male)

Kevin74 HB User

The doctor didn't seem concerned about it, he said it might be what's normal for me. I've had my Thyroid TSH checked and it was normal as well as other blood tests.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I have low thyroid as well as low platelets due to two separate autoimmune diseases. I'm quite well-read on thyroid diseases and can tell you that the TSH test alone isn't sufficient for diagnosis. The American Assn. of Clinical Endos issued a 2002 statement that the reference range of "normal" is too broad and misses many cases of hypothyroidism.

If your TSH was higher than 2, you should also have a free T4 test (at least). If free T4 is below the mid-point of its range, that would strongly suggest you're hypothyroid and might account for your fatigue. Just so you know.

Reply Reply