It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

1234567pv HB User
Talking Polycythemia Vera

Hi Maggie

I was diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera in 2003 I was 127 pounds in 2003. Every year since then I have loss weight gradually. I have loss about 25 pounds. I have been trying everything to gain weight (protein powders, natural supplements, extra meals, and exercise). Have you found any ways to gain your weight back? Please let me know. Talk to you soon.

Sheba

Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
(male)

BiggerMac HB User
Re: Polycythemia Vera

I've been dealing with polycythemia for about 7 years now, taking Hydroxurea and getting phlebotomies every two months or so.

I took various anti-itch pills for a couple of years. But I gave them up as a useless expense and... yeah... the itchig is less frequent and less severe now. Nightsweats is another symptom of polycy. For those I found a nightly dose of Ambien works pretty well.

Sorry to say, I can't help you on the weight loss. I maintained 175 on my 6'3" frame till this summer. Now I'm down to 160, but I seem to have stabilized there. My oncologist says I shouldn't worry as long as the loss is not polonged and severe.

Hang in,

Ron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
(male)

tav555 HB User

Polycythemia vera is a myeloproliferative blood disorder in which the bone marrow makes too many red blood cells.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
(male)

ameliajo HB User

Hi Sheba!
Are you a vegan or vegetarian? I've been wondering if eating more animal products might be helpful to people with PV, but I really don't know. All I know is everyone I've talked to so far with PV doesn't eat very much animal protein.

Reply Reply