It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

wendy sa HB User
blood disorders

I would like to find out what foods/beverages to avoid or what foods are recommended for certain blood disorders eg myeloproliferative diseases

Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
(male)

ameliajo HB User
Re: blood disorders

Hi Wendy!
I just posted the same question. Doctors have no clue if there is a diet that will help. All of the members in this group habitually do not eat animal products, so we're wondering if maybe we should eat more meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy. But we don't know yet if it will help. There's a group of us with MPNs who are just now starting to experiment with diet. I just read a book entitled Deep Nutrition: Why your genes need traditional foods, by Shannahan. So we're looking into the suggestions in that book. It's sort of like the Atkins Diet only with more carbs -- 100 grams instead of 20 grams a day. Anyway, some people say to stay away from vegetables with vitamin K because it helps coagulate the blood, but I've seen no studies on that. Some people say to avoid foods with iron, but I don't think there have been any studies showing this to be beneficial. Meat and dairy have a lot of iron, so I'm think since people with MPNs tend to avoid those foods, the iron theory may not be correct. Let me know if you find out anything. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
(male)

ameliajo HB User
Re: blood disorders

Hi Wendy!
I just posted the same question. Doctors have no clue if there is a diet that will help. All of the members in this group habitually do not eat animal products, so we're wondering if maybe we should eat more meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy. But we don't know yet if it will help. There's a group of us with MPNs who are just now starting to experiment with diet. I just read a book entitled Deep Nutrition: Why your genes need traditional foods, by Shannahan. So we're looking into the suggestions in that book. It's sort of like the Atkins Diet only with more carbs -- 100 grams instead of 20 grams a day. Anyway, some people say to stay away from vegetables with vitamin K because it helps coagulate the blood, but I've seen no studies on that. Some people say to avoid foods with iron, but I don't think there have been any studies showing this to be beneficial. Meat and dairy have a lot of iron, so I'm think since people with MPNs tend to avoid those foods, the iron theory may not be correct. Let me know if you find out anything. Thanks!

Reply Reply