It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

cryssyd3 HB User
high platelets, sticky blood, <0.5 ferritin

I'm a new member and this is my first post so please bare with me
I am a 28 year old WORRIED female. I went to the doctor last week to establish care with a new primary doctor ( I haven't seen one in years) She did some blood work on me and said theyd call if there was any problems. well the nurse called me a few days later saying the doctor wants me to see a hemotolgist. My lab work came back and (from what I can see) everything is within range except my platelets were high at 445 ( reference value 143-394 10E3/uL) lymphocytes slightly raised at 47 (reference value 17-46%) BUN/Creatinine ratio slightly low at 10.0 (11-19 ratio) BUT most scary is that my ferritin level came back <0.5 ( reference value 10-291 ng/mL)
I had cut my hand open recently and I noticed when it bled the blood was sticky and "stringy". very strange. Also, when I get my menstrual period I never really bleed alot, I get alot of clots. nothing too big or scary looking but it just seems to get worse each month.

I am very concerned and confused as to what this means. my iron level came back within range which confuses me even more.
I have had symptoms such as constant fatigue, irritability, headaches, dizziness, and most recently had to get my eyes checked and was giving low prescription lenses. I didn't think these symptoms were really a sign of any problem until I saw these lab results and just chalked it up to being a tired single mother of 3 rambunctious girls.
if anyone can shed some light onto what the heck is going on it'd be greatly appreciated. I see the hemotologist on Monday (Christmas eve, yay) but I'm giving myself such anxiety over this.
thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

I wonder if HB User
Re: high platelets, sticky blood, <0.5 ferritin

My 15 yr old daughter has had elevated platelets for about 3 years now and we still do not have a diagnosis. If you get any answers please post again on here!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
(male)

ameliajo HB User
Re: high platelets, sticky blood, <0.5 ferritin

Hi! I have a friend who has a blood disorder (olycythemia vera) and I do a lot of research on medical issues. It looks like you might have a precursor to a group of blood disorders called Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (MPN). Essential thrombocythemia (ET) is one of these, characterized by elevated platelets. Protein C deficiency is a precursor to ET and has been dubbed "thick blood". Elevated platelets is something to take seriously, but as long as you follow the doctor's recommendations, there is nothing to worry about immediately. People can have these blood disorders a long time without symptoms, but they can get blood clots that can cause a stroke other problem. It's a very good thing that you are aware of the high platelet count so that you can address it. We, my friend and I, have identified certain personality traits that people have with these blood diseases -- and one is being a very busy and social without the balance of self-nurturing activities like true rest and relaxation and simple fun. There's a tendency to be a higher achiever and to take a lot of responsibility for the welfare of others. Does that fit you? At any rate, you might want to look at some websites describing MPNs.

Reply Reply