It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
(female)

jogopack95 HB User
Exclamation Blood Clots on Coumadin

Has anyone experienced another DVT or clot of any kind while on Coumadin? My clot was diagnosed on 4-16, but was most likely around at least 3 weeks earlier. It was being played off as a pulled muscle. I'm leaving for Kenya in two weeks & with the long flights & no access to local medical care, I'm curious the chances of something like this happening again while on an anticoagulant.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
(female)

Budgiegirl HB UserBudgiegirl HB User
Re: Blood Clots on Coumadin

What is your target INR range? Coumadin is used to prevent new clots from forming and allow your body to re-route blood around the existing clot. There are steps you can take on the flight itself to reduce your risk of DVT and compression stockings are great. If your INR is within your doctor's target range, then you should be okay. Ask your doctor if you should increase your coumadin dose short-term to cover off the flight. Keeping your INR at the high end of your target range may offset the risk the flight itself poses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
(female)

jogopack95 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgiegirl View Post
What is your target INR range? Coumadin is used to prevent new clots from forming and allow your body to re-route blood around the existing clot. There are steps you can take on the flight itself to reduce your risk of DVT and compression stockings are great. If your INR is within your doctor's target range, then you should be okay. Ask your doctor if you should increase your coumadin dose short-term to cover off the flight. Keeping your INR at the high end of your target range may offset the risk the flight itself poses.
My last level was 6.1, but it jumps all over the place. We've had a really hard time getting it regulated. I do have the compression stocking for the flight. The longest leg of my flight is about 8 hours. The others are pretty short. I'm going to have my level checked right before I leave to be sure no adjustment needs to be made for the time I'm away.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
(female)

Budgiegirl HB UserBudgiegirl HB User
Cool Re: Blood Clots on Coumadin

If your last INR was 6.1, then your results appear to 'err' on the high side. You should be okay. My INR has been steadily increasing after over a year of being too low -- it was stuck around 1.2 for over a year, and wehen my mom complained to our doctor that I had suffered a couple of venous strokes, he started looking at my blood tests results -- in part to pooh-pooh her concerns -- and discovered that she was right. So now we do the merry-go-round with the dosage of coumadin. As a result, since March, my INR has been everywhere from 1.1 to 5.6. He has actually accused me of playing as round with my coumadin dose - I take only what he tells me to take. I don't let him get away with saying it tho' and I go into 'lecture mode' and rehash his instructions as given from each appointment since March 2013. :-)

Take care and hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. Good luck and God bless.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
(female)

Lilulu039 HB UserLilulu039 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogopack95 View Post
Has anyone experienced another DVT or clot of any kind while on Coumadin? My clot was diagnosed on 4-16, but was most likely around at least 3 weeks earlier. It was being played off as a pulled muscle. I'm leaving for Kenya in two weeks & with the long flights & no access to local medical care, I'm curious the chances of something like this happening again while on an anticoagulant.
I hope you haven't left yet and that you get my message. You said that you were diagnosed on 4-16 so I am going to assume this year, but you didn't say if they were able to break up your clot or put a stent in or if the blockage is still there! I was diagnosed with Peripheral Vascular disease in Jan. 2006, I went into the Hospital ER and ended up having to have a stent placed to break up my clot, my clot was in the Popliteal Artery behind the left knee. I was in the hospital for 8 days and was placed on Coumadin (Warfarin). I also had a hard time with them getting my INR regulated. Then again in Dec. of that same year (2006) I ended up back in the Hospital because the stent had blocked, so they had to put a stent inside the stent to get it open again. Then a little over 2 years later, in Aug. 2009 I ended up having to drive to Michigan from Florida by myself because my Step-Mother had passed away. I stayed up there for 3 months to spend time with my Dad and get him settled with the intent that Nov. 1st I would head home. But the first of Oct. 2009 I ended up with another blockage and of course ended up back in a Hospital in Mi. to have the stent cleaned out, only this time I ended up with a severly damaged foot that I could barely walk on, but I still managed to drive home. I was home for 3 months when my dad decided he wanted me back up there for another 3 months to visit, but this time I decided to fly. S0 in Feb. 2010 I flew the 3 hours back to Mi. and then in March I ended up with a complete blockage of the clot. So I ended up that time for over 2 months in the Hospital in Michigan and came out as a 50 year old left leg amputee. Unfortunately I learned too late not to play with these things and I will tell you now since my right leg has already started with the narrowing of the artery that there is no way you would catch me on an 8 hour trip to anywhere. Oh and my Doctors said that I was okay to make the trips! You just never know. I hope this helps you some but of course you have to take in the fact that I have the worst luck of anybody! Take care and enjoy your trip if you go just don't forget to take your coumadin and don't skip any doses because that is one drug that you don't want to mess around with, also watch what you eat with vitamin k because it can really mess with your levels. Let me know how you are doing.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
(female)

slpjames HB User
Smile Re: Blood Clots on Coumadin

LILULU039 --- Your story sounds like mine. I had a clot which they originally thought was a pulled muscle in 1996 had stent implanted, did a year on coumadin then in November 1998 woke up in extreme pain went to E.R. ended up with an internal bleed, a greenfield vena cava filter, fascheotimies and a double above knee amputation.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
(female)

slpjames.....I'm sorry I never got back to you but I must have missed your post or something in my email, my mistakes anyway are not checking them often enough. I have been going through some really bad times medically. They are still having to up my dose in my Pain Pump and for a few days I am kind of out of it, then I am right back in the severe pain I was in before, it is really getting frustrating and makes me wonder why I went along with getting the pump in the first place. The problem is that the Dilaudid and Bupevicaine that is in my pain pump does not help my phantom pain, only the mixture of Morphine and Xanax does and my phantom pain is back with a vengance. My NP said that she is going to try and talk to my Doctor into letting her add a little Morphine into my pain pump "cocktail" and if he says no then we might just switch to Morphine and Bupevicaine and drop the Dilaudid. The hardest part I guess is finding what works. Anyway this is not suppose to be about me but I have a couple of questions for you; 1. Did you make it to Kenya and back with no problems? and 2. I am having a hard time understanding what you mean't when you replied saying that you had a double above the knee amputation....Does this mean you had both legs amputated at the same time?.....I am just a little confused because if you had both legs amputated then why did you need the Faciotomies, was the amputation(s) a result of the Faciotomies? Well this time I will be watching for your reply, so I'm looking forward to chatting again, Take Care now!

Linda R.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
(female)

slpjames HB User

Hi !! I am not the one that went to Kenya it was the person who posted before me ! Yes my amputations were due to the fasciotomies. I had an interior bleed and they felt the only way to save the legs was to do fasciotomies -- go figure I lost them both about 15 days apart

Old 10-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
(female)

slpjames....Sorry I got you confused with jogopack95, she never did get back to us on the Kenya trip, I hope everything went well with her. I am so sorry to hear that you had to have a double amputation. That was 15 years ago, do you mind if I ask you how old you are now? Do you still live at home? The reason I am asking is because I am looking to having to have the other leg amputated in the future, not sure when of course but I am already having problems with a low pulse and a lot of other problems and I am so scared, I just can't see myself living as a double amputee. I don't know how I would do it. I am only 53 years old, I had the left AKA amputation when I was 46 and since then I have gained a lot of weight, also because of having fibromyalgia my muscles are very week and I have lost my strength. What is beginning to scare me the most is I am afraid I am beginning to lose my will power too. How did you handle the news? I apologize if I am intruding on your privacy! If it bithers you then please just don't reply to me. Thanks!

Linda R.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
(female)

slpjames HB User
Cool Re: Blood Clots on Coumadin

Hi I am now 45. We just moved from our home 2 years ago. We had a 2 story home I had a stairlift but after awhile it just got to be too much. I wanted to live on 1 floor. So we are in an apartment for now but next year we will be looking for another house. I have gained about 80 pounds since my amputations. I just don't have the drive to excercise LOL. I have diabetes now also which stinks!! When I felt like dieting and excercising I had lost about 20 lbs but of course I have gained it all back and then some! I need a personal trainer and cook to get me motivated LOL

Reply Reply