It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2003, 12:02 PM   #1

Canadian™ HB User
Red face My throat seems bent & possible carpal tunnel

I notice that when i swallow i get a clicking in my throat. This has been like this for a year , but doesnt really bother me in any way.

When i feel along my throat, just below my adams apple it feels like my throat is bent off to the left. When i swallow that part of my throat goes up and lines back up ( with a small click ).

If i push on the left side of my throat i can hear a click as it goes back into proper position. ( if i do this a bunch it causes a little soreness )

I asked my doctor the other day and he felt it a bit and said .. "ahh it feels fine " ( this hasnt alleviated my concerns )

unrelated? i have had a bad case of carpal tunnel ( self diagnosed ) over the last 2 months , it started between by right thumb and forefinger ( web ), sometimes it is in my forearm just below the elbow, currently it is in my shoulder (rotator cuff ) and sometimes extreme pain in my back just below my shoulder. It seems sometimes the pain will be intense in the shoulder and in 10 seconds it shifts completely to my back (below right shoulder)

I had my first ever EXTREME panic attack 2 weeks ago and i think my doctor is associating anything i have with stress/anxiety.

As far as the throat thing, i sometimes sleep in strange positions, is it possible i have bent my throat by sleeping on my hand ( on neck )

*p.s. i also have severely damaged ears ( infected too ) taking cypro for that . Had this since i was young and my hearing is at 70% loss both sides ( have massive holes in my eardrums )

I am 29 year old male 1 pack a day smoker doesnt drink.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2003, 12:07 PM   #2
Inactive

DJblod HB User
the thing you are fiddling with and causing to click is the hyoid bone!

Old 11-05-2003, 12:17 PM   #3

Canadian™ HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJblod
the thing you are fiddling with and causing to click is the hyoid bone!
Yup thats the bone.. Any ideas on why its doing that and why it is bent to the left ?

Old 11-05-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

maryett HB User
Hey Canadian, I get that exact neck thing myself! I can't believe someone else gets this!

I've had it since I was about 15 and I'm 33 now. It only happens perhaps once or twice a month on average. The front left side of my neck hurts and it feels better when I push the bone in. It feels like a sharp bone's digging into the inside of my neck or something.

I can't offer you any medical advice because I've never spoken to a doctor about it, but recently I started getting chiropractic treatment for the first time ever. I can't guarantee that he's fixed the problem but I did describe the problem to him and I haven't had it for a while. I don't know what the problem is called.

I also have the exact same gripping problems as you too. When I try and lift something a slight bit heavy I feel as though a tendon or something is in the wrong position in my hand and wrist. The chiropractor said that has to do with using the computer. He massaged my forearm - and boy did it hurt! He only did it once but to get results he would have to do more work on it.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:19 PM   #5

Canadian™ HB User
Thanks for the reply. chinchilla. Its nice to know im not alone ( i think )

Making myself nervous thinking its throat cancer or something.

Its not a painfull thing ( unless im poking at it ) but it is annoying and making me dwell on it.

They say you cant feel throat cancer till its too late usually, because its inside your throat not on your neck. It does feel like a lump, but i know its just the hyroid bone out of place. But am unsure as to what would make my throat ( hyroid bone ) be off to the left like that.

Doc says the 2 things are unrelated and he doesnt seem to think there is a problem ( but he only touched it for like 5 seconds )

I work full time on the computer and not being able to use my right hand is making it impossible to keep up with my work, as a result im making barely any money right now , and cant afford to just keep going to different doctors.

I spent all my food money on medication for my ear infection and the aprazolam, but they both say to take with food, but i cant afford to eat and buy medication..

so im at 3 days with no food and not feeling any better and my right hand/arm/shoulder is so sore i cant do anything.

any suffestions to get my right arm working again so i can at least start making money again. Its either that or i might as well give up and rob a bank or take some ******* out with me if i am just going to suffer like this till i die.

Last edited by Canadian™; 11-05-2003 at 02:58 PM.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

maryett HB User
I doubt whether you have throat cancer because I've had the same thing for 18 years, so I would probably be dead by now if it was cancer. However if you're worried about it perhaps get a second opinion from another doc.

I recommend that you see a chiropractor or physiotherapist ASAP for the shoulder/arm/hand thing OK. They will definitely be able to help you.

Good luck

Old 11-11-2003, 12:03 AM   #7
Firemedic501

the hyoid bone is the only bone in the human body that does not articualte (connect) with any other bones its purpose is to help suspend the airway by anchoring the muscles particularly the tongue to the jaw. therefor it is movable and that is what is doing the clicking I do not believe it is anything to be concerned about

Closed Thread