It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 06:11 PM   #1

rdnecks HB User
Unhappy High Alkaline phosphatase

Has anyone every had High Alkaline Phosphatase levels from blood test for the bones? My doctor says its nothing to worry about that it could be caused from a healing fractured bone. My problems is I did research on the internet and there is more to it then just that. According to my research the high alkaline phosphatase levels are idicators of liver or bone diesease such as bone cancer. And my doctor says that the Alkaline levels are normal in the liver but high in the bone And thru my research that only time Alkaline Phosphatase levels is high in the bone is for children that are constantly growing or for when a bone is healing from a brake or bone disease such as bone cancer. I haven't had a broken bone in 25 years. That bone is done healed now so how in the world would it be causing Alkaline phosphatase levels to go up 25 years later? I get no answer from the doctor when I ask him this. I am in my early 30's so my bones have quit growing. So according to my research this next step to worry about is bone disease such as bone cancer. and my research says there should be tests done on the bone to check but all he wants me to do is come back in 4 weeks to retest and see if its still high. But my doctor is telling me not to worry about it. Its more then likely from a fractured bone. How can that be I don't have any and haven't had for 25 years? I am confused and scared now.

This all started when I went to see the doctor for my ulcer and reflux disease. Over the counter medicines wasn't working. Instead of doing any tests for those he has done blood and urine tests to check kidney and liver fuctions and all that. My red cells are fine, my white cells are fine, liver fuction is fine and kidney fuctions are fine except small amount of blood in urine and he ordered a CT to rule out kidney stones and it come back negative. Only thing he as done for my ulcer and reflux disease is give me some samples of Nexium but he won't discuss with me what to do next. The Nexium isn't working.

His main concern is having me come back in 4 weeks to redo blood tests and urine test but he doesn't want to see me. He says I also have high Cholersterol and Triglycerides. But he hasn't bothered to dicuss with me how to lower it all he says is come back in 4 weeks to retest this too but not a appointment to see him. And they won't give me the numbers to the cholersterol test all they will tell me is it is high.

I am really totally confused and scared. I don't know weather to sit here play his games with nowing a test result could mean cancer or make a appointment to discuss my concerns with him and let him know Nexium isn't working for my stomach. (I've still got that constant gnawing hungrey feeling and lower back ache.)Or go to another doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to rdnecks For This Useful Post:
bobonaill (05-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: High Alkaline phosphatase

[QUOTE=

This all started whenwent to see the doctor for my ulcer I and reflux disease. Over the counter medicines wasn't working. Instead of doing any tests for those he has done blood and urine tests to check kidney and liver fuctions and all that. My red cells are fine, my white cells are fine, liver fuction is fine and kidney fuctions are fine except small amount of blood in urine and he ordered a CT to rule out kidney stones and it come back negative. Only thing he as done for my ulcer and reflux disease is give me some samples of Nexium but he won't discuss with me what to do next. The Nexium isn't working.

I am really totally confused and scared. I don't know doctor.[/QUOTE]

The alkaline phosphotase Test is not reliable without using the results of other tests. It can be effected by smoking cigarettes, a high fat diet, whether or not the proceedure was conducted correctly by the person who drew the blood, how long the specimen sat out after it was drawn, and specifically if you have been taking antacid type medications it can be effected. If you have been taking opiate based medications it will throw the values off as well.

Try not to be too concerned about the results of that test. It sounds like the reflux disease is more important to treat right now because that can lead to big trouble down the road. Reflux disease left untreated can make one vulnerable to esauphageal Cancer.

Old 04-19-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
(female)

LouAnn53 HB UserLouAnn53 HB User

Hi, I also have a high ALP reading which started about a year and a half ago. All other liver function tests have been normal. Only the ALP is elevated. I also did much research on this and what I found out also scared me silly. I have had a bone scan done, which I believe showed nothing significant. I have had an ultrasound and an MRI of my liver. This did show that I had multiple liver cysts, but my doctor was not sure if that would raise my ALP's. SO now the next step is to see a GI doctor. I have NEVER broken a bone in my life. I do have pain in my left knee, but the bone scane didnt see anything. I know what you are going through and it is no fun. I really believe half of these doctors dont know what the hell is going on. That is why they call is practicing. My first reading of the high ALP was in Aug of 2002 and is was 206. The second test was in March of 2003 and was 175. The third test was done in March 2004 and is working its way back up. It was 190. But here is something that blew me away.......I had a tooth that was absessed and the dentist told me the abcess was in my jawbone. Could it be that this could raise the ALP?? My doctor was shocked when I told him this, but he could not confirm that was the cause. I wish you luck and try to stay calm. Keep me posted.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

If a person smokes cigarettes the alkaline phosphotase blood test will be high. If you have the beginnings of osteoporosis, the ALP will be elevated. Although you should pursue your concerns, there are many very innocent reasons why a test can be elevated and there be no reason for it, from laboratory error to diet. Take Care

Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
(female)

Marimac,

Where did you get some of your information from? I had just recently quit smoking three months before my high ALP. I am just waiting to see if my ALP goes down since I had my abcessed tooth removed. Wouldn't that be something if that was the cause. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

I got my information from a book on Laboratory testing, it is a school book I had to read and have to refer to from time to time in the job I do now. I am unable to say more than that, but if you go to a University that provides medical library you can get the same information. Also make sure when you are consulting lab values on the ALP that you are looking at age appropriate values. As we age the values change. A child will have a higher ALP rating than an adult and a senior citizen older than 60 will have a different normal range than a middle aged adult. It has to do with metabolism factors, but the ranges are standardized. That is why overall, the test is not accurate predictor of disease, just a piece of supporting information to other testing.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
(female)

Thank you, that was an interesting answer!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
(female)

boots4me HB User

I have had high Alkaline phosphatase numbers three times in 15 years. No broken bones, don't drink alchohol, wasn't taking drugs of any kind, no pains, all other blood screens were within normal reference range and the dr had no explanation and did not persue it. Next test it was fine. I smoke and it is normally on the high side of normal.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
(female)

imgrammietofive HB User

mine is also high has been for several months new doctor thought it was my gallbladder but thats gone so i know have to have a mri of the liver

Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
(female)

nascar88 HB User

Hey all, I see that this post has been going on for a while now. I had a high Alk/Phos level and after other tests, it was determined that I have Pagets Disease of bone. It's not cancer. It makes your bones all porous-like (like osteoporosis) and they hurt real bad...it's like they are on fire. There are several meds that the Dr can use to try to get this into "remission" (my word).

You can read up on this at [url]www.paget.org[/url] just make sure you are looking at Pagets Disease of BONE. If you read in the medical books, you will only find about 1 paragraph about it, but this whole site goes on and on about it. Our family was involved in a study with a geneticist and all. We are 8 kids and 4 of us and my dad have it, so as you can see, it CAN run in families but doesn't have to.

I hope someone is able to see this post and get something useful out of it.

NASCAR88

Closed Thread