It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
Question after cast removal from broken wrist

My son gets his cast off tomorrow, he's 7 years old. He broke 2 bones in his wrist, the ulna and radius. Has anyone else had a kid who broke a wrist? I'm wondering how his wrist is going to feel and will he have pain and stuff? Because it's been so long since he's used his wrist and stuff I am wondering if it's painful and how long the healing time usually is. I imagine it's different healing processes with different people, but I'm wanting someone to talk to about this subject that knows anything about 'after the cast' healing. I'd appreciate it..... Thanks -Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #2

sha79 HB User
Re: after cast removal from broken wrist

My son broke his wrist and had to wear a cast for 6 weeks. After the cast was removed, it was a little stiff and hard to use, but only for a few days. I think most of it was him being scared to use it because he thought he would break it again. Don't worry, he'll be fine in a week or so. Most of the healing is done while its in the cast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha79
My son broke his wrist and had to wear a cast for 6 weeks. After the cast was removed, it was a little stiff and hard to use, but only for a few days. I think most of it was him being scared to use it because he thought he would break it again. Don't worry, he'll be fine in a week or so. Most of the healing is done while its in the cast.

Thankyou, Sha....

Old 03-13-2004, 06:21 AM   #4
Inactive

hezfez HB User

What I've noticed from my son's broken arm (just above the wrist) and students I've had is that the arm is a little oddly formed and stays that way. My son thought it was funny how his arm was so hairy and that he couldn't bend the wrist well at first. But it's been about a year since he did his flip off the monkey bars and two years since a student broke his playing soccer and their arms are still a bit flatter, less muscled, and not quite at the same angle as the unbroken arms. I'm not sure if that's common and it isn't something you'd notice if you weren't looking, but the arms just aren't the same as their mates. They do work well though. The student I had plays baseball on a competetive traveling team and throws with that arm. It's always been fine! Since my son broke the other arm twice this fall (due to his UBC) he's only been using the one he broke last spring. He hasn't had any lingering problems from the forearm break.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

I hope it went well for your son...I was in a sugar tong cast for about 4 weeks a long arm cast for about 6-8 weeks then a short arm cast for 6-8 weeks...yes I did break it good!! Mine was incredably stiff the trying to excersise the elbow was the worst. I still have phantom pains in my wrist and it has over 3 years!!

Old 03-14-2004, 01:41 AM   #6
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User

I was 50 when I broke my wrist,It was a bit stiff at first after the cast came off,But I've had no major problems since.Although arthritis has set up in it,but just bothers me when the weather changes.........

Closed Thread