It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 09:48 AM   #1

NikkV HB User
Dislocating or dislocated larynx?

Two days ago, my Adam's apple 'popped' (like a chiropractor pops your neck) out of place for no apparent reason. It was accompanied by sharp pain, and now it feels like a sore throat, and no one has ever heard of this.... I thought it would just go away, but it hasn't and it is sore to the touch and when swallowing....
Have you seen this before? Have you found a solution to this?

Thanks for you time,
Nikk

Old 05-12-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: Dislocating or dislocated larynx?

I'd see the Dr, it could be a serious complication if it really did just that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: Dislocating or dislocated larynx?

Your Adam's apple is cartilage on top of your thyroid. Your thyroid (especially if there is a goiter) can become swollen and inflamed giving you the sore throat. That piece of cartilage on me sometimes "pops" back and forth over my thyroid.
Also - a swollen thyroid will cause swallowing difficulties.
Worth looking into in my book.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

feby57 HB User
Talking Re: Dislocating or dislocated larynx?

This has been happening to me for a very long time, but I don't think it is my "adam's apple" (do girls even have adam's apples?) What happens is, every so often, something "pops out of place," sometimes on the left side of my throat and sometimes on the right. The pain is indescribable and swallowing is almost impossible because of the pain. What I have done over the years is to press very hard on whichever side it is on until it "pops" back in. You can actually feel and hear it when it does. When this occurs on the left side, it is no big deal- I can pop it right back within like a second, but on the right side, it is really very hard. I have seen 3 Dr.s for this and none of them can identify the problem so I have just learned to live with it. If you find anything out, please let me know. Can you tell me if yours occurs to one side or the other? I have just NEVER heard of anyone else who had a clue what I was talking about- they just kind of look at me like I am weird.
Thanks, I hope it gets better.

Closed Thread