It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #1

confuzed_one HB User
Question lump on bone on finger joint

Hello,

I'm new here. Anyways, I recently noticed a painful lump on the joint closest to your hand on my middle finger. It's painful when moving my fingers, but especially painful with pressure to the lump. I'm guessing that the size is probably about 1/4 of an inch diameter. What could this be? And is it any cause for concern?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 10:46 AM   #2

Luckybear HB User
Re: lump on bone on finger joint

Hi there, I don't know what that lump could be but maybe you could go get it check out by your GP. did u bump or hit that part of ur hand on anything? I have pain in both sides of my ankles with pressure, don't why though. How long is the pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #3

ptdork HB User

Hi Confused one! I am new here also. I am experiencing something similar to you and was wondering if you saw a doctor? Did the problem go away or progress? I have had pain in the tip of a finger for several weeks, it feels like when i previously had a serious infection in a different finger. No infection, but a week ago a small lump appeared by the first joint at the top of my finger and I have the same type of pain symptoms you are experienceing, worse at night and in the morning. I was curious if you found out anything before I bugged my doctor! I keep thinking it will go away!!

thanks!

Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #4

Kittyboy HB User

Hi guys,
Ok well I too have, unfortunately, become a victim to one of these nasty little things, one popped up seemingly overnight on the second to last finger (bottom joint between the finger and hand) on my right hand.
My mother a while back suffered from one (ironically enough same finger same hand!) and had to stop wearing her ring because of it. Anyway enough of the back-story.

She went to the doctor and then was sent on to a hospital surgeon and after an inspection of the lump told her there was little he could do, not "nothing" but little.
after speaking to her about it seems we have the same thing (weird that it's on the same finger but weirder things have happened) anyway I did a little research and came up with this:

http://www.baltimoremd.com/content/ganglion.html

All the treatments on there are the same as the doctor and surgeon told my mother, I am at the moment trying the anti-inflamitires to see if they help any, but failing that it's off to the doctors with me.

Well hope it's little if any help, Iíll post back in a week or so see if they worked!

Old 08-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I have a lump that is not painful and is located just below the first joint of my ring finger. My doctor said it looked like a calcium deposit. I can bend the finger with no trouble and he did not seem concerned.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
(female)

stacynb HB User

not sure if this helps, but I have arthritis and have a lump on the inner side of my knuckle on the pinky finger. I hear of many people having a lump on the ring or pinky finger..... not sure if it is related to your case, but just thought I would throw it out there in case you have other symptoms like pain in joints especially in morning, swollen fingers or toes, reddness or heat in knuckles, pain in back/neck, psoriasis....All could be indicators of some form of arthritis.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
(female)

loradone HB User

hi
ive found a lump in my right hands pointer finger just under the inside of the knuckle, i found this initially a few weeks ago when i was in work on a sat night coz my finger was aching like it needed to be cracked but id crack it and it would still be there then thats when i saw this liil white lump under my skin . when i looked at it it seemed to have a purple bruise around it and was sore to touch. this then got worse were i couldnt bend my finger to much then the pain disapeared one day so i left my anexiety behind. now sat just gone the pain and lump and bruise are all back but this time on top of all this i have now got constant pins and needles in that finger and its going blue and numb.
am going my doctors this week after the bank holiday to get this sorted
am very worried
please if anyone can help

Old 05-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Based on total symptoms for all of you - could be several reasons, but only a doc can tell you exactly what yours is - by looking at it.
Arthritis, ganglion cysts, infected hair follicle, tick or spider bite...etc.
Never hurts to see a doc to ensure your remain healthy.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:37 AM   #9
(female)

727TRISH HB User

Well I have this same problem. Mine is the middle finger( guessed I have used this one too much)

But the if you hold my finger to the side you can see the little bump. I know it's not a spider bite...I don't think it's arthritis because there is not really any pain in moving it.
It's just weird that this bump on my joint would appear and has been there for about 4 months

Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #10
(female)

nknj HB User

Well thank goodness for all of you, because I feel much better now.

Last night a lump appeared at the base of my right middle finger, and I thought, lump on bone, lump on bone, this can't be good.

I have a doc's appt for 3 days from now so she can look at it, but at least I won't lose any more sleep, hair or appetite over it.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

please don't lose sleep or hair over it. i have had lumps on my knuckles since my early thirties. i am now early fifties and they have just started to give me pain. one on my index finger is the largest so my pcp sent me to a rhematologist. he gave me an injection in it and it has shrunk considerably and hasn't hurt since. being checked for RA, lupus. fibro since i have other joint problems and arthritis everywhere. he did tell me they were athritis and nothing to worry about. hand surgeon 5 years ago told me the same thing. good luck at the dr.s let us know.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:45 AM   #12
(male)

charlodius HB User

I have a few questions:

1) Is the lump on the palm side, or the back side of your hand?

2)If you hold a penlight up to it, can you shine light through it?

3)If you hold the lump with your other hand, then bend your middle finger, does the lump move?
4)Does the lump come and go, or has it gotten smaller and bigger over time?
5)Did the lump just appear one day, or did it evolve over time?

6)Can you move the bump around under the skin?

7)Exactly where is the bump? Is it at the level of your palm crease, closer to your wrist, or closer to your fingers?

Closed Thread