It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004, 07:02 PM   #1

McLink HB User
What is Tumor on Lower Leg??

Maybe someone can help us. My 67 year old friend began to have pain in the knee area about a month ago for no reason. She let it go until her calf began to swell and the pain got bad in her calf area (not the knee). She went to the Orthopedic Dr and he exrayed it. He found a "growth on her lower leg bone". The test he ordered was a TOTAL BODY Bone Scan. What do you think he is looking for? He did not explain anything to her because she didn't know to ask.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: What is Tumor on Lower Leg??

It sounds like the dr had communication problems

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

A total body bone scan will scan the whole body (is a nuclear medicine procedure). Your friend will get an injection of a nuclear material and then be given the scan (usually an hour) later. The scan will show where her boned uptake the medicine. If there is a benign or malignant tumor - the medicine will concentrate in that one spot. Just be certain to let your friend know that even benign bone tumors will show as well. Only a bone biopsy can confirm a cancer.
Wishing your friend all my best!
hrtofluv

Old 12-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

I guess the doctor ordered another test because the growth shown on the X-ray might not be very clear, so the bone scan might show more... the size..etc

I don't know about bone scan but when they found a benign tumor at my femur(x-ra), I had a CT scan. So is the total body scan a bone density or CT scan?

Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

The bone scan is similar to the bone density versus a CT. You lay flat and the scan moves slowly down from your head to your toes and then it goes underneath and scans from your toes to your head. It is a long time to lay flat, but I doubt any other test could show everything in your body with one test. Once an area is defined - then a CT or MRI might follow since they show an closer look at that one specific region tageted. The bone scan was used on me because I presented with pain in several areas and the standard xrays showed tumors in the shots of my ankle as well as shots of my shoulder and several areas in between. After the scan, we knew that I had 11 different bones that were affected with the tumors which were diagnosed benign after my first surgery/biopsy.
Hope this explains it better. Let me know if you need more information.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

McLink,
Hey - how are things going with your friend? Did she get her total bone scan? What were the results?
Would love to hear back from you.
hrtofluv

Old 04-09-2005, 06:14 AM   #7
(female)

beccaweb HB User

My husband 38 years old has the exact same thing, began to have pain in the knee area about a month ago for no reason. He let it go until his calf began to swell alot it is very painful in the calf area (not the knee). He went to the Orthopedic Dr and he exrayed it, nothing showed up on the xray and he is going for an MRI on Monday. What was your results??

Old 04-11-2005, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Let us know how your husband's MRI goes today.
Thinking of you!
hrtofluv

Old 04-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
(female)

enginelz HB User

Gl on ur husand MRI and hope eveything will go alright. I be praying for ur husband

Old 04-28-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
(female)

beccaweb HB User

Turns out he has a "deep bone bruise" in his knee, and a tiny tiny fracture a little lower in his leg. He plays hockey and probably had the injury for a couple of weeks, his treatment is take it easy and no hockey for a month. Doc said he should feel good as new by then. Thanks for the prayers!

Old 04-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

So glad to hear the good report. Have fun resting for a month!!!!

Old 04-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #12
(female)

enginelz HB User

i glad it is good new and tell ur husand enjoy resting

Closed Thread