It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

bLuEeYeS1886 HB User
Inflamed rib cage

I'm an 18 year old female, and a year ago I noticed that my left rib cage was like larger and pointing out more than my other one. It was very tender to touch so I went to the doctor. She said I had muscle strain and put me on some anti-inflamatory medication. It went down a little, but now it is kind of bothering me again. It's just uncomfortable sometimes when I'm laying down. It's not painful, besides once and awhile where there is a sharp pain for about a second. I don't know why it is still inflamed. Could I have strained it so much that it's just going to be like that for the rest of my life? Or is there something else to it? Please help! Thank you!

Last edited by bLuEeYeS1886; 11-30-2004 at 08:34 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #2

witchesway13 HB User
Re: Inflamed rib cage

I have a similar thing happening also. I still have Right upper and back lower rib pain. I have a deformity going on. My rib cage is swelling. It is much larger now on the right side, than it is on the left. It is visibly noticeable. It keeps getting bigger, over a course of about 2 years. The swollen area always hurts, it only feels worse when i eat a large amount. It then feels like i have eaten a basketball and hurts my ribs from the inside out. Lots of painful pressure on already sore ribs. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A SWELLING RIB CAGE??? It is on the lower right side, and back. You can see it, feel it, and i cannot put my arm down to my side on that side without pressing down on my ribs(obviously not a regular practice). It origionally was was only one rib sticking out, now, it is all the way to the bottom, and almost to my breast line. They have done a cat scan of my liver, xrays of my ribs, with normal results. All the bloodwork is normal. They were freaking out at first because they could feel it too. The skin on that area is very cold, but warm everywhere else. I take the prescribed Flexeril and Motrin 800's, only when it gets real bad. The muscles relax, but the swelling along the whole ribs are still there. I HAVE HAD NO TRAUMA AT ALL, over the course of this progressive condition. In the past i have had spinal meningitis(viral), a complete hysterectomy at 21 (endomitriosis and cysts-with tubal involvement), Lymph node removal on the right side (epstein barr virus was the outcome) and a umbilical hernia. The only thing on the net i have found, are chosto, chondrosarcoma, and a few other far fetched things, none of these clues seem to fit the crime. This is what i have been told so far..... MUSCLE SPASMS!!!!! DEPRESSION!!!!! OK??? If i am doped up on muscle relaxers and anti inflamatories, and you can still feel the swollen ribs, then i should be depressed i suppose. I am very happy housewife, i homeschool my 11th grade level 12 year old, my hubby earns enough to where i can actually stay home and rest, oh yeah, i guess depression is the answer??? Sorry to all about the rant, i am sick of being sick. IF ANYONE HAS SWELLING RIBS, BACK LOWER RIB PAIN AND LOW GRADE FEVERS IN THE AFTERNOON TO MID DAY, PLEASE RE- POST, and maybe we can help each other. THANK YOU!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
(female)

Kathy W. HB User

My daughter is having the same symptoms of the left lower rib being painful, swollen and sticking out. She won't see the dr. until Thurs. We were petrified that it was cancer of some kind but now I remember having lower right rib pain 25 yrs. ago and it took years for it to resolve. It caused a lot of pain at first, I couldn't laugh, cough or lean over because of the pain. It got less and less over the years. I assumed it was my gall bladder but it was 4 years before I got x-rayed. I was pregnant and then nursing so I waited and then the pain had subsided but I never really found out what it was. My daughter's is on the left side, so I am worried about what it could be. Rheumatoid Arthritis runs strongly on her father's side of the family, but so does lymphoma and other cancers. She also has had chronic digestive problems. Ill be happy it it's something that will go away but I will be the happiest if whatever it is is non-malignant. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

happy w/o HB User

Try the gall bladder. If not it could be as simple as a infection in the rib cage between the rib and the lung tissues. Meds helped mine alot and then after repeat issues they figured out other pain was the gall bladder !

Old 04-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi All, I've been having pain in my ribcage since February. Going crazy trying to find out wht was wrong. Had Xrays, MRI of Thoracic spine, blood tests, saw PCP twice, Orthopoedic, went to ER. No one could tell me anything. Said all tests were normal.
Finally got fed up with the PCP, after everyone is trying to tell me it was muscular. I'm 50, I think I know what sore muscles feel like. So, I asked my PCP about physical therapy, since it was all just "muscular". At the P.T. they said my ribs (both sides) had
rotated and the 10th rib was up higher and pushing into the adjoining ribs. Just a thought. They seem to think it's postural problem, since I have some degree of scoliosis. Had this for 10 weeks now, but just started PT (5 session so far) so hopefully
it will help. Mine is both side though, but I did notice the rib kind of sticking out, just thought it was cause I lost 15 lbs, and when things hurt, you notice them more. Hope you find out soon what's causing your problem, as living with pain all the time sure make time drag. Good Luck Blue Eyes!

Closed Thread