It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

Deedee9 HB User
pain in bones after alcohol intake

Hi,

I have a weird problem. After intake of alcohol, even in smallest amounts (e.g. one sip or in a cake) after 15 secs or so I feel intensive pain in bones, specially arms and shoulders which is spreading through whole body and then disapperas.
It happens to me only when I drink or eat something that contains alcohol. I don't have any other problem with bones and I never had drinking problems or such. I'll be 32 in january.

Does anybody knows or has similar problem? Could it be something serious or just kind of reaction one gets with years?

Old 12-30-2004, 12:49 AM   #2
(male)

KeyLime HB User
Re: pain in bones after alcohol intake

DeeDee9...
Pain in your bones, huh? I'm an alkie with 20 years sobriety but even though I'm sober, I'm paying for all my years of heavy/hard kick-*** drinking...I've had both shoulders REPLACED due to extreme pain in the joints..one of my docs said:"I don't get it, we only see shot joints like that in chronic alcoholics..." My response:"duhh..."

I don't know our intake or habits...gimme some more information...

Wright
{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-30-2004 at 09:17 AM. Reason: The boards are for PEER support. Please Read posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
(male)

shht HB User

I was wondering whether you found any analysis to that problem..

Old 03-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

sungirlcali HB User

What kind of alcohol? Is it beer? Wine? I ask because I feel pain in my bones (among other symptoms) after I ingest wheat/gluten. A lot of alcohols (beer especially) are made from wheat or contain wheat. I'm not saying that you are allergic to wheat, but just throwing it out there. Do you get this pain after eating any kinds of food or is it only when you drink alcohol?

Old 03-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

I get this too, most noticeably from wine. I used to joke with my friends that I have no choice but to become an alcoholic because I needed to keep drinking to take the pain (that was just caused by the alcohol) away!

I am moderately allergic to brewers yeast but oddly enough, beer doesn't cause as much pain. Wine is the worst culprit in my case -- after 2 sips it feels like I was hit by a truck. Even more strange is the fact that the only cure is to continue drinking! The pain is definately worse for me if I drink only a small amount.

I don't know what exactly causes this but a friend of mine suggested I drink a glass of water at the same time I am drinking wine, and it does help. Maybe it's some kind of dehydration? I doubt it's allergies because the problem gets better with more consumption!

Old 03-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

I believe the pain most people are referring to is indeed referred pain. The pain is being caused by the alcohols effect on the vascular system. As the alcohol first hits the central nervous system the veins and arteries respond by dilating and then if drinking does not continue, they rapidly constrict. The change is felt by near by nerve endings which are sometimes picked up in the bone like when weather changes effect the bones. There is one other time when alcohol causing pain is diagnostic of lymphoma. But that is only in addition to other known symptoms.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:27 AM   #7
(female)

pheobe13 HB User

Hi,
Just wanted to add that alcohol does do something to the joints. Something to do with the natural gas there or something. It was on a science programme explaining why your joints creak the morning after drinking. (I get that.) It takes your body so long to replace (or get rid of- sorry I can't remember) bubbles in your joints. So maybe you just have an extreme reaction there. Just a thought. Sorry it's not more accurate, got a terrible memory!

Closed Thread