It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
Unhappy TMJ and cheek bone pain?

I've been battling TMJ since I was very little.. (I'm now 24) and in the last year or so I found some relief with a chiropractor.

Then?

Then I had to have an emergency root canal. ugh.

Suprisingly enough it adjusted my bite to something a bit more tolerable, but in the last month I've had a headache just about every day - more severly after I eat (even soft foods) - and today I just noticed that my left cheekbone is incredibly sore to the touch, like I was punched or something.

I don't usually have pain in the joint itself - sometimes the disc will become displaced and I'll be in pain, but usually my pain is in the muscles along my cheek. I do make a conscious effort not to clench my teeth during the day, but the muscles in my cheeks/jaw area seem to do it involuntarily..

I've been through countless nite guards, and actually do better without them (at least since the root canal..) *sigh*

I'm tired of taking tylenol, and advil, and tylenol PM to get any relief - that doesn't really help enough anyway.

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
(female)

elggon HB User
Re: TMJ and cheek bone pain?

Do you have any sinus problems? That can cause headaches and pain in and around the sinuses including your cheekbones and eyesockets. I get the cheek pain and toothaches when I have a sinus infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

elggon - I don't really have any sinus "problems" I've been a little stuffed up for the past couple days, but it's nothing bad.. I wouldn't even call it a cold.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #4

Mr. Cumberpatch HB User

Irys,

You might be clenching or thrusting your jaw in a protrussive direction. This tightens up the lateral pertygoid muscle which attaches to the cheek bone around the sinus area.

You might catch yourself thrusting your jaw even just a little bit during the day.

To combat this try doing tounge exercises as follows

1. click your tounge off the top of your mouth, try to get a big click as the tounge breaks the seal with the roof of your mouth. Do loads of these, anytime.

2. Draw circles over the roof of your mouth, 10 to the left, ten to the right, as many times as you want.

These strenghten up your tounge (hyoid muscle) which helps it rest in the roof of the mouth. In this position and with your lips together, teeth apart, you will be in a better position to control your jaw.

Have fun
Mr. Cumberpatch

Old 01-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

huh, thanks for those.

It wouldn't suprise me if I was infact doing that with my jaw - my teeth have never fit together well, and I'm constantly trying to find a resting point for my jaw to relax..

.. but that's how this whole mess started to begin with

Old 02-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #6

britishgirl2 HB User

My ENT told me that pain in the cheek bone area could very well be associated with TMJ/Myofascial Pain. I too get pain in this area that I thought was sinus related, but is actually not. If you look up myofascial pain this is one of the symptoms.

Old 02-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
(male)

Rawspice HB User

I also sometimes just get pain in the cheek bones that feels like sinus pain. I had tests done and they came back fine so I presume it is tmj.

Old 02-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #8

Mr. Cumberpatch HB User

Hi ladies,

The lateral pertygoid attaches to the cheek next to the sinus area, so you get pain in that area and assume it's a sinus problem, when all is actualy fine.

mr. Cumberpatch

Old 02-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

hmm.. thanks!

Old 03-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
(male)

Freddog HB User

no one knows exactly what you should do i dont even belive doctors, only you know what is going on inside your own skull i have been taking vitamin c 1000 mg per day also i have been apllying heat like soaking in a hot tub and gently masaging my jaw muscles i read to put your index finger inside your mouth all the way back between your upper and lower molars and your thumb on the outside of your jaw muscle gently pinch your muscle so it slips out of your fingers also if you gently clench your bite down and feel your outside of your cheek you can pinpoint your jaw muscle gently message with your middle finger also just infront of your ear under your temple do this in shower or bath or use heating pad with the heat you should try to slowly open your jaw as wide as you can a few times it will help your blood circulate which is hugely important, do some research on esential minerals and vitamins find something like lipton tea wich has high content of antioxidents they help your body produce new cells you have to figure out a routine that works and stick to it religously dont make the mistake alot of people do wich is denying or avoiding you need to confront it and focus closely also dont rest your head on your chin like the thinker statue it emits large amounts of preasure on jaw muscle and joint stay stress free it will help too no matter how mad you are dont vent it verbaly just try to stay calm snorting drugs and smoking ciggerettes and other narcotics are also huge contributers to our enemy tmj trust me i have been through it all and am dealing with similar muscle tension i read that your subconsious is trying to clench your jaw muscle in the position it wants your joint to be held in for healing purpose i am 27 i have been dealing with this for just over a year and sympathize with you oh yeay drink water and only water that is what nature intended us to drink it might help with your headaches no caffine or alchohal they dehydrate your body and that can cause headaches also massaging might help your headaches
take care
Freddog

Old 03-13-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
(male)

Freddog HB User

if you want to i would like a reply from you on if anything i said helped or not
it might take up to a month or as little as a day to notice any change maybe you already knew all of what i said

take care
sincerely
Freddog

Last edited by Freddog; 03-13-2005 at 11:14 PM.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
(female)

cpettite HB User

I have been seeing a Neurologist for headaches and they keep telling me that they are associated with a damaged nerve in my head. I feel they are from TMJ, which I know I have. Where do you normally get TMJ headaches at? Mine are usually around my eyes, my temples, my neck area and my jaw area. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
(female)

StillHope HB User

TMJ and bite related headaches can be anywhere.
Even from my experience I can tell that they change if I am biting in different places. Basically if it hurts in the front of the head (above the eyes, the forehead) the jaw is usually too forward. If the jaw goes too far back the pain is in the back of the head. Similar is true, at least for me, about the pain on the face: left cheek bone pain means that I am hitting too strongly and have improper contacts on the upper left teeth, if left side of the lower jaw is hurting then the lower left teeth are not comfy, and so on.

If you listen to your symptoms it can help to figure out what the jaw does that causes pain and then try to keep it away from that position. Easy to say, I know all about it.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
(female)

cbg10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irys View Post
I've been battling TMJ since I was very little.. (I'm now 24) and in the last year or so I found some relief with a chiropractor.

Then?

Then I had to have an emergency root canal. ugh.

Suprisingly enough it adjusted my bite to something a bit more tolerable, but in the last month I've had a headache just about every day - more severly after I eat (even soft foods) - and today I just noticed that my left cheekbone is incredibly sore to the touch, like I was punched or something.

I don't usually have pain in the joint itself - sometimes the disc will become displaced and I'll be in pain, but usually my pain is in the muscles along my cheek. I do make a conscious effort not to clench my teeth during the day, but the muscles in my cheeks/jaw area seem to do it involuntarily..

I've been through countless nite guards, and actually do better without them (at least since the root canal..) *sigh*

I'm tired of taking tylenol, and advil, and tylenol PM to get any relief - that doesn't really help enough anyway.

Any advice?
I just talked on another issue about TMJ problems. Then I saw your thread. I have had TMJ problems for years and years. You only mention the root canal being the difference creating your headache. It makes me think that your filling they placed might be high or if you had the tooth crowned that the crown is high and changing your bite. I , of course, have no idea but I am a retired dental assistant that has had about everything with my bite and affecting my TMJ. I have pain in the joint itself if I do much like chewing something to much , jutting my jaw out to bite off something, etc. This sure gets to be the pits at times , doesn't it??? Good luck.cbg10

Closed Thread