It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

mgm59 HB User
Fractured ankle talus

Hi. Am new to this message board and have been reading up as much as I can about ankle fractures because my 19yr old son was involved in a car accident 4 months ago and is recovering from an open fracture of his right ankle talus. What an eye-opener it was to get all this information about this injury which unless you read about it, is so foreign and what most people brush off as "just a broken bone". Well, I truly sympathise with all you out there with your different injuries and would be happy to get feedback from any others with the same injury as my son's. He is in p.therapy 3 x a week abd absolutely no weight bearing for another 6 -8 months!! Hard to bear for an active 19yr old. He has 4 screws in his ankle and he is now in a walking brace, but not walking. He gets frustrated as he cannot drive and has to depend on me or friends to take him around. Also, the crutches chafe his armpits and palms of his hands when he goes around too much and he gets tired. He has put on alot of weight mostly due to boredom and feeling down. It seems to be a long road for recovery and thank God the pain has sudsided alot and he only takes a pain killer once a day or one more before he sleeps. The ortho surgeon has indicated he will most likely need surgery soon as avascular necrosis is evident. He is suggesting bone grafting.We are not looking forward to surgery and all that pain again. I was just wondering if he will ever get full use of his right leg again. Hope to share more information with you again soon. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: Fractured ankle talus

Sorry to hear about your son's accident. I know this is a very hard time for him and the rest of the family.
Remember he is young and with a good orthopedic surgeon - he should recover nicely and return to full activity, but the talus bone is a difficult break and they will never be super optimitic with you.
Look up myfootshop and to see further information.
Best of luck!
hrtofluv

The Following User Says Thank You to hrtofluv For This Useful Post:
oppy (05-16-2012)
Old 02-11-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

mgm59 HB User
Re: Fractured ankle talus

Thank you hrtofluv for your reply. Am trying to remain hopeful and will take it a day at a time.

Closed Thread