It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2003, 10:59 PM   #1

Maccaveili HB User
Post throat clicks and bump on neck

Hey I have this very peculiar thing going on around my throat. Around the end of the year, I caught a bad throat illness, and was sick for about 3-4 weeks. During that time I developed a "click" on the left side of my throat on the inside that happens when I swallow. But it doesnt do this if I turn my head up or to the right. My doctor said it is probably just my hyoid bone catching on some cartilege. But it is March now and it is still clicking, it doesnt hurt, but you can feel it if your put your finger on my neck under my chin, you can feel it pop.

Also, about 3 weeks ago, on the left side of the bottom of my neck around my collar bone where you have lymph nodes, I found a pea sized lump. So I went in to see my doc the very same day I found it, and she felt it and said it was just a normal lymph node. But that I could just keep and eye on it. I can't tell if it has gotten any bigger, perhaps marginally, but it is alot easier for me to locate it now, than it was at first. It doesnt hurt, and is moveable.

Also since the beginning of this year, I have been having a lot more headaches, and I usually never have any.

In addition to all this, my left ear has been feeling "blocked up" like there is a pressure inside sometimes.

I'm going back to the doctor yet again this coming monday, but in the meantime, can anyone relate to any of this at all???? I welcome anything anyone has to say about this. Please feel free to respond, I look forward to anything everyone has to say. Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #2

Lev HB User
I don't know when I exactly developed my throat click but I have similar issues. Also, up until a few months ago something would seemingly dislocate, possibly my hyoid bone,and made it hurt really bad to swallow. After adjusting my neck a few times it would pop back in place. I have no idea what was happening but late last year I noticed some pain in my Thyroid and now I too have a nodule. Recently, I saw my PCP and explained all of this. He thinks that I have a Thyroid disorder. Two days ago I went for blood test to get an idea of what is happing with my Thyroid and Pituitary glands. Early next week I will have a neck and Thyroid ultrasound as well as a Radiation Iodine test (Nuclear Medicine) to see what is going on. If you have other symptoms like brain fog, trouble concentrating, forgetfullness, headaches, muscle weakness and fatigue you may have a Thyroid disorder. Again, I'm not sure what the relation is to the clicking and dislocating but I can totally relate to your problems. Maybe they are two totally seperate issues. I do have the other symptoms and even if you dont you may want to have your Thyriod and overall throat area looked into further. Not to scare you but I was told that Cancer could explain all my symptoms as a whole. I seriously doubt I have cancer and am keeping my fingers crossed... Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Lev (edited 04-16-2003).]

Old 09-23-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
(female)

Bethbo HB User
Hi, I can't believe I actually found someone with a throat click. It started a few months ago. I noticed it when I would be eating. It only does it when I look straight ahead. I fell a few months ago, and hit my chin, bruised, and cut it open. I think maybe I did something then, but not sure. It is almost at the exact spot. When I put my finger on my throat under my chin it clicks. Drives me nuts! My chiropractor said my hyoid bone was ok, and he thinks it was due to my injury. I also got whiplash from the fall. Please Please let me know if you found out anything since your last post!

thanks,
Beth

Old 09-24-2003, 01:24 PM   #4

lastoria HB User
I have a similar problem that comes and goes. It is more prevalent when I think about it and almost non-existent when I don't. It's almost as if I am swallowing saliva more often than I should be. I'm also paranoid that it's throat cancer, so that doesn't help matters.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:50 PM   #5

Maccaveili HB User
It sounds so similar to me. When I think about it, I start swallowing over and over and it keeps grinding and grating more and more. When I just decided to ignore it, I don't notice it nearly as much. The only thing I am curious about is that it seems connected to my ear pressure in some way. When my ears feel blocked up inside, the click is more prevelant. When they feel clear, sometimes the click just goes away.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:41 AM   #6

lastoria HB User
I too have noticed the "ear" connection and am now wondering if there is some relation between the TMJ and the hyoid bones and muscles.

I've also noticed that when I'm very relaxed (actually drunk) that the problem goes away entirely. Please continue to post any findings here. I'll do the same. If I don't get anywhere with my physician I am going to look to an ENT.

Old 10-05-2003, 05:45 PM   #7

lastoria HB User
Maccaveili-

I am curious if what were are going through might be related to what's called a "cricopharyngeal spasm". I have started a new thread on this in the Open To All Topics forum.

Old 10-25-2003, 10:42 AM   #8

acky HB User
Hey guys, any updates on the clicking? I had a bad cold once, and used to sneeze every second. Do you think this damaged my throat in some way? I've had this same throat click for about 2 months now. I haven't told anyone about it though, don't want to make such a big issue out of it if it really isn't anything to worry about. So any updates?

Old 10-31-2003, 11:16 AM   #9

lastoria HB User
Yes, I saw my regular doctor, dentist (for an oral cancer screening) and then my ENT. ENT scoped my throat and found that there was nothing serious. The clicking and tightness is starting to fade. I am on medication for acid reflux and that might be helping. Also, knowing that it's not cancer has reduced my stress level a lot, which may also help. I only get the click a few times a day now, and it's usually when I am swallowing "hard". Meaning that the muscles in my neck are tightening when I swallow.

It's probably nothing to worry about. If you start to get really stressed about it, make an appointment with an ENT. You'll feel a lot better.

Old 11-30-2003, 12:44 PM   #10

slowOne HB User
Re: throat clicks and bump on neck

Aftert 9 months of left sided throat click through 3 ENT visits with throat endoscopy and 2 gasteroentrologist visits with CT scan and swallow barium film study
After all of that NAD (no abnormality detected) !!!
at the end what cured my throat click !!!! ThaT was a physiotherapist whom told me that I have weak neck muscles and I have to strengthen them .... what to loose ... went for neck muscles exercise program
AND HURRY I HAVE a NORMAL SWALLOW WITH NO CLICKS

Last edited by slowOne; 11-30-2003 at 12:45 PM.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:40 PM   #11

Elspethy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccaveili
Hey I have this very peculiar thing going on around my throat. Around the end of the year, I caught a bad throat illness, and was sick for about 3-4 weeks. During that time I developed a "click" on the left side of my throat on the inside that happens when I swallow. But it doesnt do this if I turn my head up or to the right. My doctor said it is probably just my hyoid bone catching on some cartilege. But it is March now and it is still clicking, it doesnt hurt, but you can feel it if your put your finger on my neck under my chin, you can feel it pop.

Also, about 3 weeks ago, on the left side of the bottom of my neck around my collar bone where you have lymph nodes, I found a pea sized lump. So I went in to see my doc the very same day I found it, and she felt it and said it was just a normal lymph node. But that I could just keep and eye on it. I can't tell if it has gotten any bigger, perhaps marginally, but it is alot easier for me to locate it now, than it was at first. It doesnt hurt, and is moveable.

Also since the beginning of this year, I have been having a lot more headaches, and I usually never have any.

In addition to all this, my left ear has been feeling "blocked up" like there is a pressure inside sometimes.

I'm going back to the doctor yet again this coming monday, but in the meantime, can anyone relate to any of this at all???? I welcome anything anyone has to say about this. Please feel free to respond, I look forward to anything everyone has to say. Thank you in advance.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:43 PM   #12

kuhe HB User

i can't believe i have found this!! i too have the throat clicking and lump on my neck. i too saw my doctor about it whom has said he can't find anything wrong. mine started after a night of screaming at a concert. the next morning my gland was very swollen and sore...the next day after that the swelling was gone but i had found another hard pearl sized lump on the left side of my throat. also after having a glass or two of wine the problem goes away. that is why i thought it might be muscular.
the clicking is terribly annoying. my experience is identical to the other postings. has anyone found a solution?

Old 03-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #13
(female)

angel320 HB User

I am really glad to have found this site and get an idea of why my throat "pops" when I swallow. About 2 months ago I had a bad cold/cough, once it cleared is when my throat started popping. When I turn my head up it doesn't pop. The other thing is that there are times I can't keep my throat clear. Is there anyone else who can't seem to clear their throat either? When I had this cold I coughed a LOT!! So, I have been thinking that I dislogged something in my throat because of it. Hope to hear from someone!!

Last edited by angel320; 03-05-2005 at 08:18 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #14
(female)

midi73 HB User

Hi. I too have a weird sensation and it's on the right side of my throat just above the adams apple but on the side. I went to my ENT. Couldn't even find it he said. Yah, right. Gave me a barium swallow which came back negative. Then to GP. He finally found it. Sent me to an endrocrinologist. He did an ultrasound of throat and even went right onto the spot but nothing -- however he did determine I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis.

The lump is still there and sometimes if I turn my head just right it clicks when I swallow and sometimes downright hurts. Once in a while if I push in with my figers it crunches and seems like it slides into place somehow and its better for a little while. The other GP I saw said it might be cartlige. So...bottom line, I'm still living with it. Got thyroid meds but haven't taken any yet. Not sure I even really need them since my levels are still in the normal ranges and thyroid is still functioning some. Hmmmm. SO...I guess I don't have any more answers than the rest of you.
Midi73

Old 03-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #15
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi all,
i have a throat click also, it started after i had a very swollen gland on the right side of my neck, the doc said i either had mumps or a blocked salivery gland, the swelling went and the click stayed. It was funny though because i started to feel a lot of ear fullness and it was driving me mad anyway to cut a long story short i was convinced i had oral cancer my doctor said he thought i had tmj relaited isues and sent me to the big dental hospital in Glasgow, no oral cancer or anything sinister just TMJD and my god i would not wish this pain on anyone

all the best

miss l

Closed Thread