It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
what does slightly elevated caclium and albumin levels mean?

Hello! I am a 31 year old female and for two years my doctor has been trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I have bone pain, muscle aches, muscle spasms and lots of other symptoms. Recently my doctor has discovered a slightly high calcium level in the blood and a slightly elevated albumin and total protein level (also in the blood). He did some follow-up bloodwork and nothing else showed up. He is sending me to an endocrinologist.

I kind of wonder if it is a bone disorder because of the pain I have, but it may not be. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find any info on the internet about what might cause an elevated albumin level other than dehydration, which is not the case. I have a very strong family history of thyroid problems, and I've read that in some cases, certain thyroid problems can affect your calcium levels & cause bone problems...but so far my thyroid tests seem normal. Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

Last edited by Rorie; 03-25-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: what does slightly elevated caclium and albumin levels mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorie
Hello! I am a 31 year old female and for two years my doctor has been trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I have bone pain, muscle aches, muscle spasms and lots of other symptoms. Recently my doctor has discovered a slightly high calcium level in the blood and a slightly elevated albumin and total protein level (also in the blood). He did some follow-up bloodwork and nothing else showed up. He is sending me to an endocrinologist.

I kind of wonder if it is a bone disorder because of the pain I have, but it may not be. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find any info on the internet about what might cause an elevated albumin level other than dehydration, which is not the case. I have a very strong family history of thyroid problems, and I've read that in some cases, certain thyroid problems can affect your calcium levels & cause bone problems...but so far my thyroid tests seem normal. Thanks for any thoughts you may have!
Paget's disease may have these two symptoms that you described. However, there would have to be other symptoms, blood tests etc. that would support it. Endocrinologist sounds like a good place to start. Dehydration alone can elevate the relative albumin level. But thats just an aside comment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread