It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 11:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Post Reoccuring swelling after breaking leg

In July of '02 I broke my fibula by falling and striking the area below knee against a boulder. I went to 4 doctors complaining of the severe leg pain, a hematoma that covered my entire lower leg (from knee to ankle going into foot) and a knot swollen two inches above my leg. After 4 weeks of complaining I finally got an orthopaedist to x-ray my leg who determined it was broken. But it had knitted enough that he said if I had had a cast on he would have been taking it off by then. So it was never casted. Subsequent x-rays have showed the bone is still in alignment. Thing is I still have a puffy, swollen knot where I struck the rock and with any serious physical activity it swells up even more. I've never broken a major bone before, just toes and ribs, so is this just normal for having a leg break? The drs I have questioned have no explanation for the continued swelling or how to make it go away.

Sorry this is so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 03:49 PM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
sorry to hear about your pain. have they tested for infection in the bone? Osteomyelitis is the term. Perhaps they should.. does the area feel hot to you? do you have redness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by tryingtofeelgood:
sorry to hear about your pain. have they tested for infection in the bone? Osteomyelitis is the term. Perhaps they should.. does the area feel hot to you? do you have redness?

I've never heard of osteomyelitis before. How do I get tested for it? I see a ortho next week for checkup because I reinjured my ankle again, so I could ask him about that. Now it was 18 months ago I broke my leg and up until say 3 months ago the impact area on my leg would get hot and somewhat red. It still swells up every time I am overly active like if I go for a walk. It is swollen and puffy tonight even. Thanks for writing and giving me some idea of what might be going on with it.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:43 AM   #4

tryingtofeelgood HB User
get some blood tests to check your white and red blood count and a SED rate which tests for infection. However, they may come back normal even if there is an infection because it's been in your body for a bit. I am certainly not saying it is a bone infection - it just sounds like you might need to be checked. Ask for an MRI with dye so that it will show areas that are infected - although the fracture might show up too. Please just talk with your doctor. If in doubt with him/her at all - take yourself to a good orthopedic at a University Hospital.

I have been suffering with a bone infection in my jawbone and thought some of your symptoms sounded similar.

best,

Closed Thread