It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2003, 06:15 AM   #1

jitterbug HB User
Question Is this a hip problem?

Please help! I'm having excruciating pain in the thigh joint of my left leg. Does anyone know if this is indicitive of hip problems? I also have fibroids and ovarian cyst and thought this was causing the pain, but just found out from the nurse that that area is where the hip ball joint is, so now I'm thinking possible hip replacement???

Thanks

Old 06-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #2

CHEEKS HB User
Lightbulb

You really should go see an orthopedist. Before I was diagnosed with avascular hip necrosis I had severe pain in my thigh, outer hip area, and groin area. My leg also became very stiff and hard to move. My hip bone ended up getting and infection and fell out of place. You should see the doctor and tell him of your pain and he can order x rays to see what the problem is. Thanks
CHEEKS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2003, 04:40 AM   #3

jitterbug HB User
Cheeks,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds really similar. Actually, I have an appointment tomorrow. Funny though because the receptionist gave me such a hard time about getting an appointment. She said, "now if this is a back problem forget it because he won't treat a back problem". She really didn't want to give me an appointment. But I did insist. I want to rule out anything to do with the hip or leg.
So what are you doing for your situation?

Thanks,
jitterbug

Old 06-16-2003, 09:11 AM   #4

CHEEKS HB User
That is very good that you have an appointment. Well my situation. The x ray showed my left hip was worse than my right. But when my right fell out of place they gave me a date to get the hip replaced because there was nothing else they could do for me. However; the surgeon could only put a spacer in with antibiotics until the infection went away. Last May of 2002 I had my permenant right hip prosthetic put in and I am now pain free and happy. The pain in my left hip stopped all of a sudden after I had my right replaced so I don't have to have that one replaced unless the pain comes back. I am back to doing the things I was doing before and I feel great. All my damage was due to taking steroids for a prior kidney transplant. I found out now that I have arthritis in my ankle and I will start physical therapy for that today. Good luck on everything for you. It was easy for me because I am so young but I know how it can be on someone older. Thanks
CHEEKS

Old 07-22-2003, 04:27 PM   #5

cjay HB User
Hi

Your posting is very familar to me.

For the past seven months, I have had increasing hip problems. Weight-bearing, groin and burining.

My doctors did a great deal of testing and referred me to a new Fibro doctor. (I was diagnosed with fibro about six years ago).

After four months of pain medication, that did nothing, they put me through another battery of tests.

I have AVN Avascular Necrosis.. it is easy to look up on the Internet, just type in AVN.

AVN is a degenerating condition of my femoral head, the hip joint is collapsing. I have been on walker for nearly six months.

I am scheduled for hip replacement August 25th.. will keep you updated on my recovery. I should be on crutches for at least three months.. no weight-bearing.

Hope this real life experience helps

Old 10-03-2003, 04:22 PM   #6

Buzz'z honey2 HB User
has anyone else out there had experince with AVASCULAR NECROSIS ?

Old 10-04-2003, 01:34 PM   #7

callie3 HB User
My husband has AVN of the right and left hip. He had a CD(core decompression) done in Feb on the right hip but still has pain due to the right leg now being shorter than the left. He has a limp and says his left is now giving him problems. AVN is a nasty disease. Have you ever taken steroids(prednisone?) This is one of the leading causes of AVN. I work with a 30 year old woman who took them for back pain and just had both hips replaced due to this disease. My husband took steroids for a herniated disk and developed the disease 2 years ago. Do a google search on AVN. We are members of an online support group that can answer your questions better. Doctors will admit a connection between steroids but won't say for sure they cause it. About 85% of the people in the support group took steroids for something before being diagnosed with AVN. There is lots of info out there and you will need it because there are many different treatments including cd and hip replacement. You can also get it other places such as hips,knees,shoulders etc. It means your bones are dying due to lack of blood flow at the joints. It is incurable but not fatal was what our DR told us. Very painful at times also. Its an ongoing struggle for my husband even after surgery.

Closed Thread