It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
(male)

agferna HB User
Question Fast growing, proliferating bone spurs in hands.

Hi

I appreciate any help/guidance you can provide me with respect to “very recent – fast growing – quickly proliferating” bone spurs in my hands (please see description below). New to the board, so please forgive any mess up.

Male, 47, excellent health and physical condition. Not taking any medications. Occasionally (once every couple of weeks) may take vitamin, mineral, calcium tablets – nothing major or sustained. I’m a bit perplexed by the speed of which these bone spurs have grown, to the point you can feel daily progress, and potentially proliferated. Currently the spurs’ only problem is the pressure point they create, i.e., have not caused any joint or movement problem, yet. I have conducted an online research and confidently concluded that the spurs are not arthritic in nature and are not consistent with other type of hand diseases. Saw a prior post “lump on bone on finger joint” and it seems that there is some resemblance. At this time can’t definitively conclude that the lumps are in fact bone or calcium deposits, but they feel hard and attached to the bone (I would imagine that a cyst would not be as hard and may float a bit). For sure we're not looking at arthritus, at least yet, and the knuckels and finger joints are pretty normal ans well-toned.

Anyhow, I’d hate to drop $500 to a doctor if this is normal and there is not much that can be done. Guidance and help from all you is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bone Spur # 1:
Position: palm side, near joint with metacarpal.
Shape: round and symmetrical – volcano/hill shaped.
Size: green pea.
Timing: noticed at about 2 weeks ago due to some pain as something rubbed between my fingers. Since has grown noticeably.
Symptoms: Does not interfere with joint, movement or strength of grip. However, does create a pressure point that can cause pain when gripping tight an object coming in contact with the spur.
Potential Aggravation: I am right-handed and my right hand is subject to “intense” PC mouse use. In addition, suffered severe finger jam 10 months ago – totally recovered. No other similar spur in other fingers of either hand.
Note: I am guessing that in fact this is a bony structure because it is hard and attached to the bone. In fact it may not be of bone.

Bone Spur # 2:
Location: wrist left hand, most likely on top of the lunate bone.
Position: back side, centered, about where the watch settles on.
Shape: round and symmetrical – mound shape.
Size: lentil.
Timing: noticed at about 3 days ago due to discomfort when back of watch rubbed into the spur.
Symptoms: Does not obstruct or cause pain with wrist movement. However, does create a pressure point.
Potential Aggravation: None known. Same spot on right wrist is smooth without any pressure point.
Note: I am guessing that in fact this is a bony structure because it is hard and attached to the bone. In fact it may not be of bone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: Fast growing, proliferating bone spurs in hands.

It's hard to decide what to do without physically looking at what you're describing although I have to say you have done very well with your descriptions.
As mentioned in the other post - a ganglion cyst could be the culprit. But I would say that if any more "pop" up - it would definately be worth a doc visit.
Maybe someone else will have more advice.
Let us know what happens.
hrtofluv

Old 05-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
(male)

charlodius HB User

Tough to tell by the information given. The mass on the dorsum of your hand may very well be a ganglion cyst, as this is a likely spot for one to occur and it's rapid onset suggests soft tissue rather than bone pathology. If you place a small flashlight on in, does light travel through ( the mass glows red suggesting a less dense mass, like a cyst). It would be highly unusual for the lump in your palm to be a ganglion. Given the location (in the region of the A-1 pulley) I would guess that to be a trigger on your tendon. Do you ever feel a "popping" sensation when you open and close that finger fully?

Last edited by charlodius; 05-04-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
(male)

agferna HB User

Thanks to you s for the replies. To tell you the truth, I'm starting to wonder myself whether in fact these are cysts or bone spurs.

#1 on my middle finger, palm side, opposite knuckle (sort of like right under your third wrinkle where middle finger joins hand) has grown some more over the week. However the shape is changing from a hill shaped to more spherical. This tells me a cyst is becoming likelier. I have tried to push it to one side, but it remains well attached to the finger bone. I guess if it is a cyst and continues to grow at some point it will dettach (either by itself or by force) and float to some extent between the bone and skin. I will try the red light approach. We shall see.

#2 is static this week. I have noticed discomfort and slight pain caused by it if I bend my wrist back 90 degrees. I will also try the red light on it.

Again thanks. I will keep you all posted with any updates and outcomes.

Closed Thread