It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 03:03 AM   #1
(female)

HippyChic8123 HB User
Red face knee and ankle pain...after bad fall

hi, my name is stephanie, ive been a member of the boards for a while but havent posted in a while either. I took a bad fall on a heater a week or so ago, and was wondering if anyone has had these same problems after a fall and what their doc did for them, ( cant get to one until the first so would like any help w info). I know i injured myself pretty bad, because of a tiny hallway, and i was carrying a hefty bag full of clothes to do laundry. i couldnt see lifting the bag to fit it through the hallway, and tripped over a heater about knee hight. i know i am heavy set too, about 280 lbs. i landed hard on my left knee, and my foot got caught in the heater, ( a type of heater with seperators in it to make more heat). kinda hard to explain, but now the side of my foot hurts as well, next to the ankle, and the top of my foot. i have sprained my ankle before, and this hurts much worse. i have taken tylonal pms for this, and all that does is puts me to sleep. (not much for pain relif). i have scoliosis, and arthritis, and now my knee pops, sometimes unexpectedly while walking. if anyone has had these symptoms before, in a injury, can you tell me what the diagnosis might be before hand? and maybe home treatment until i can get into a doc? Thanks very very much in advance!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: knee and ankle pain...after bad fall

You should definitely see a doctor. It's possible that you broke something. Or it could be a bad sprain with torn ligaments. If you can't get in right away (although most docs try to fit in emergencies quickly) you should stay off of it as much as possible, elevate, ice, and take ibuprofen (motrin, advil) because this is an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller. But the doctor will do a physical exam (bend the joints, press on them and see where it's tender) and probably take x-rays. The results of the exams will determine the treatment. It could range from just taking some anti-inflammatories and resting, to using crutches, to a cast, to surgery. It's hard to say until an exam has been done. Good luck, and hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
(female)

HippyChic8123 HB User

i know ive had other injuries from falls, anywhere from falling face down on the pavement off of a bus, (Streight into the brick pavement from 3 steps on a regular city bus after slipping on water) to slipping on snow and hitting my head ect. i have never really complained about pain, unless it seriously hurt enough i needed something for it. for a temporary fix, i posted a ad on a local freecycle site, dont know if youve heard of them, and asked if anyone had a brace, (normally i give alot away or try to for other ppl) i know right about now i would seriously think that a cast might help along with crutches. (especially when someone has to limp because of not putting full pressure there due to pain), and i noticed today (and more so lately) my foot is swollen and sometimes white. (Red where i injured it on a heater type thing). i know i had to pull it out, (got stuck in the cracks of the heater) and when i did i heard a pop not only in my knee, but in my ankle as well. i have fractured it many times before, (motorcycle accidents ect). but never this bad. if i only had the gas to get to a dr lol, i would be there, luckly though the first is right around the corner. and tommorow will be a very busy day. i have been very active lately, (Trying to start a pc repair business from home), and have 3 people comming by. one to pick up a pc, and two for software. lol. i have been told by a friend about the acronym rice, which is helping alot, what you mentioned, i think i said it right, and the ice is helping more than what anyone can imagine. normally i try and grin and bear it but lately havent been doing to well lol. hopefully it will start to heal b4 the dr office, but im glad i might be able to get in tommorow, if sales go well. i guess im up pretty late today, havent been sleeping much so i hope it doesnt seem like im rambling, but it was very nice to meet you, and ty vvm for the advice, i will put it to good use, and keep you posted. i appreciate all the advice and support from this board, which is why im glad i never left it lol. thanks again,

Old 05-31-2005, 02:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Sorry to hear that you are still in pain. It definitely sounds like you may have done some damage, so I'm glad you are planning on seeing the doctor. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Yes - I'm glad the doc. appt is tomorrow cause it does sound like a possible break. Your feet have so many little bones in them that can crack with a fall. My next door neighbor slipped off her stoop and found out 2 days later (with lots of pain and swelling) that she had broken a couple bones in her foot. So - very possible with the pain you describe and especially since you have a high tolerance for pain (I do too according to some ortho).
Please post back and let us know how it goes.
Thinking of you.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:20 AM   #6
(female)

HippyChic8123 HB User

well as it turns out, my fiance had to return his borrowed truck today on short notice, so i wasnt able to get into the dr. so iwill be going to the walk in clinic any way possible. i hate ers, and hate hospitals, and im glad there are walk in clinics lol. i guess thats a closterphobia thing for me, weird as it may seem, or sound for that matter. i went to my moms house though, and i got some of my medicine i had left there. i also talked to my brother about knee damages because i guess its frequent on the both of my little brothers for them to brake sprain ect on them. im going to discuss that w my dr too, to see if theres a link in the family genetics somewhere on accidents and bone structure. i was put on nubumetone 500 mg for a tendinitis issue, and luckly i didnt run out, have had that medication for months without taking it regularly lol. but when i take it it kinda helps since there isnt anything else here. luckly tommorows payday and ill be able to take care of it then. thanks for the support, thats why i love these boards., ill keep ya posted.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

HappyChic,
Haven't heard from you in awhile. Did you ever get to the doctor? What happened? Anything broken?
Let us know how things are going for you now.
hrtofluv

Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 AM   #8
(female)

HippyChic8123 HB User

sorry hrtofluv.

I havent been on in a while, (havent been feeling well), I did get my ankle xrayed, and they said it was a "severe sprain" and basically told me r.i.c.e, which is ok. Its been feeling alot better than it did before, and im out of that environment so thats a big plus. I also noticed tho, (they didnt xray the top part of my foot), That when I am in pain in that particular area, it helps alot to pull it a certian way and pop it...I guess thats why chiropractors get alot of customers...maybe one of these days ill try it. anyway ty for caring and checking in.

Closed Thread