It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

kmp72479 HB User
Protruding rib below collarbone and neck pain left side

I have been having neck pain more so on my left then my right for quite a while now (more then 2 years) it comes and goes. At times my fingers tingle and elbow as well, when I am experiencing the neck paid. I have now sought treatment from my MD instead of the Chiro's I have seen. They first tried muscle relaxers and that didn't help. Now I have been in PT for 2 mos and they are at a loss, with all the home exercises, massage and trigger point therapy I have had little improvement. I did notice recently that about two inched below my collarbone on my left side i have a rib that is protruding (I did ask the PT and he said it was a rib and that "we are not symetrical'). The rib is approximatly 1/2 inch farther out that the right side. Other of my ribs are relatively proportionate in how far they protrude.....

Anyone know if this could be related and how? Any other idea's on the neck pain?

I am going to have an ENG on Mon. at the ENT and he suspects he will need to send me to a neurologist......from what I have read I am not sure this will resolve much.....

Any advice, suggestions, experiences would be really helpful, thank you

Old 07-14-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: Protruding rib below collarbone and neck pain left side

Curious as to how the ENG went.
Have they done any xrays on you yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
(male)

Sweetmelancholy HB User

As you may see my thread about a rib that is bulgy at my left side ribs:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1812809#post1812809

So thanks for giving me an answer. Now as far as your neck is concerned, is a little bit difficult to say. The best thing you can do is to go to a doctor.
Just to tell you something, my mother has a constant at her neck, see has seen many many doctors, but noone can say anything.
One, of the doctor, said that some of the inner teeth were causing the pain. She gave her treatment -she is wearing in the night something like the things that put the teeth in alignment at small kids-. Well, now she says that it does help but it doesnt eliminate the pain.
The pain she feel is not outer, but inner coming from nowhere.

I hope I did help you, but you definately helped me.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
(male)

charlodius HB User

Sounds like you may have T.O.S>- thoracic outlet syndrome.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:44 AM   #5
(male)

Sweetmelancholy HB User

I dont think so, the only pain he feels is at his neck.
I searched for TOS at the internet and I came across this site:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/thoracic/thoracic.htm

All the syptoms are irrelevant to his neck pain.

I have a protrubing rib too and I think everyones has one...but it's visibility depends on the fat at this area.
I have examined the human anatomy and I see that we are different from side to side so it's normal to protrude.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
(female)

carpediem120 HB User

This post was from 2005, so I wondered what ever happened with this? I am going through the exact same thing- neck pain, tingling in left arm/thumb, protuding rib on left side, etc. I have been to the dr 2x, physical therapy, muscle relaxers, etc and it hasn't gone away. Hopefully you get this.

Closed Thread