It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
(male)

kooler HB User
Exclamation abnormal rib cage shape?

Hi, I have a depression on the front left side of my ribcage which I'm very concerned about. I'm 16 and I had noticed this a few years ago and it seems to be getting worse, though I'm not so sure. There isn't any pain and my spine is straight, it has been checked in the past. I think that the abnormal curvage on my "floating rib" is causing this depression, it is curved inwards. As a result, the rib bones connected to it are bent inwards too. I've even enclosed a picture to make sure you know what I mean: ( removed )
The red is the floating rib that seems to have a inwards curve on it.
The green is all the ribs that are affected and are depressed.
The blue is a lump that I have, it isn't very big, but is noticable if you look closely, it doesn't hurt to touch and is quite hard, I noticed this maybe 8-12 months ago.
I haven't seen a doctor about this yet, I might do so later depending on the replies I get here.
I've searched the internet and I can't find anything on this!
Does anyone have any idea of what the problem is!?
Thanks for reading and I apreciate all answers.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-16-2005 at 09:11 AM. Reason: please do not post pictures or personal websites

Old 08-16-2005, 08:05 AM   #2

supmom810 HB User
Re: abnormal rib cage shape?

Hi Kooler,
Do a search on Pectus Excavatum and I bet you find alot of information on what you are looking for.
It's common for the "shape" of your chest to become more pronounced when you go through the growth spurt. I would be willing to bet, if you look at any old photos you will beable to see it too, just not as deep.
Good luck with your search, there is a lot of information on this if this is in fact what is going on with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
(male)

kooler HB User

I've checked out Pectus Excavatum before and I don't think I have it because that's when the centre of the chest is sunken?, the centre of my chest isn't the slightest bit sunken. I can't find any cases of it where the left or right side rib cage is sunken like on the picture I posted?
Edit: Ehm ok... I wasn't alowed to link the picture, but I hope you know what I mean anyway.
It would have been easier to understand with it though

Last edited by kooler; 08-17-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Kooler,
Sounds like possible scoliosis to me, but you should probably see an orthopedist, or at least your family doctor to check it out. I have slight scoliosis, which was never detected when I was young, but has caused some problems in my ribcage this past winter. (I'm 50) My ribs were curved up and over the others, due to a rotation in my spine, because of slight scoliosis. But this caused severe pain. Even a slight curvature in the spine can progress over time, and is best treated when you are young.
I had a hard time getting any diagnosis, even with xrays & MRI, and finally got help from a physical therapist.
But if this is something that just showed up as you grew, you should get it checked out. No sense having worse problems somewhere down the line.
Hope it's nothing and just one of things that makes us all unique.
Good Luck.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #5

supmom810 HB User

Ok lets try this again. Kooler, there are different variations of Pectus Excavatum. For instance my son has a wide valley asymmetrical type PE. This is caused by the sternum being rotated making the right side of his chest sink in. There is the basic PE, which is where the center of the chest sinks in, there is also upper and lower PE. Sometimes somone may have all the variations or just one.
If you have not seen your Dr. for this or if you are having shortness of breath, I would seek the advice of your Dr.
Keep searching, there is ALOT of information online about this deformity.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
(male)

kooler HB User

Thanks supmom810 and HELLASRULES I will check out some info from the net and see a doctor when I get the chance to.

Closed Thread