It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
(male)

CoreyM HB User
Scaphoid Fracture

I didn't see a forum strictly dedicated to fractures so I thought this one would be most suitable.

I was just recently diagnosed with an acute occult fracture of the proximal portion of my right scaphoid bone. It is a non-displaced fracture, so I am wondering if there would be any cut off of the blood supply. I am a college hockey player and very eager to get back on the ice, however I am having doubts, after some research, about this bone healing in the 8 weeks I have been placed in a cast. Just curious as to if anyone has had a similiar injury and how yours turned out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Scaphoid Fracture

You have probably read that scaphoid fractures can be especially dangerous because the blood supply only comes from one end. It is good that the fracture is nondisplaced, because that reduces the possibility of complications. However, because of the blood supply issues, sometimes fractures can take a while to heal. It is quite possible that the fracture will heal in the 8 weeks. But your doctor should do repeat x-rays or mri or other studies to make sure that the fracture has indeed healed before you return to playing sports. But the first step in treatment would be a cast, so you're getting the correct treatment so far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
(male)

CoreyM HB User

Thank you for the reply.

I had actually read into the injury a LOT before being diagnosed, so yes I know of the tenuous blood supply to the bone. The first x-ray, the day after the injury occured came back negative, and the mri only suggested a fracture, the way I understand it.

I had asked the doctor if I should come in after 6 weeks and have an x-ray taken, so that if it were in fact not healing I could choose alternative treatment, however he would have none of it. I guess the only thing to do is wait until I am to have the cast removed in seven weeks.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Yeah, you want to give it enough time to heal before rechecking. Then if it's still not healed, the options are more cast time or surgery. My friend recently had a scaphoid fracture and he was in a cast for quite a while (I can't remember if it was just the 8 weeks or if he needed another go at it after the 8 weeks), but it eventually healed on its own. So just try to be patient and think good thoughts!

Old 12-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

My son had the same thing happen to him...he had to have surgery and also a bone graft done...he healed perfectly.....but surgery was his only option.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
(male)

CoreyM HB User

My doctor said he would consider surgery if it's not healed after the eight weeks, but if it comes down to that I think I will play out the rest of the season, and have surgery afterwards, near the end of march.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

My son was in too much pain to do anything. He had to wear a hand brace until surgery cause he couldn't even move his hand...........good luck!

Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
(male)

CoreyM HB User

So it's 3 weeks to the day into my cast, and I have been putting heat on the injury using a heating pad and a hair dryer, to try and increase the blood flow. I am hoping that will help.

However over the past week or so I have been getting sharp pains, sometimes when just sitting around, and sometimes when using my injured hand. My aunt said this is "healing pain" but I'm not so sure about that. Any thoughts?

Old 01-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
(male)

CoreyM HB User

It's been over 5 weeks now in the cast and I am having pain with minor actions such as opening a door, or putting a slight amount of weight on my fingers. I am not very sure that this fracture is healing at all. The only sign I have of improvement is that I had no strength in my grip after the injury, but now, although it is without use of my thumb, I can squeeze very tightly.

I think I am going to give the doc a call and see if he has any ideas. I would like another x-ray to be taken so we could see if there are signs of healing, but I don't know if the x-rays can be taken through the cast.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
(male)

coldturkey12 HB User

Hey, I just had my cast removed yesterday after having surgery to my scaphoid. I broke my wrist about a year ago but didnt pick it up until 9 months after when it still handt heal (damn male syndrone). My arm was in cast for 8 weeks and after an xray doc says its about 80% healed which is good enough to come out of cast. It still hurts a lot and I have very limited movement but hopefully it will get better and in a month or so i should be able to start rowing again. Its very easy to think that nothing is healed and that you will be stuck that way for the rest of your life because of the pain, believe me I have had my share of that.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

CoreyM, There is no problen doing an xray with the cast on. I fell after foot surgery and had an xray done with my cast on a few weeks ago. I had my cast on until 6 weeks postop but at least when it's the foot you can switch to a boot. Maybe they'll invent something like that for the hand soon! I think it really takes a while for everything to feel normal again. Good luck with your recovery! Sophie

Old 01-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
(male)

CoreyM HB User

Hey guys. Just got the cast off today and it is healed up enough for me to start playing hockey, full contact, tomorrow. I'm pretty surprised but just figured I'd fill you guys in.

Thanks for the info while I was dealing with the injury.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Glad to hear that you have healed up so fast!! Have fun in the hockey season!! Be safe. Sophie
PS Had to have my nwb cast reapplied after 2 weeks. I guess maybe age has something to do with it. Just found out I may have to be nwb in the cast for another 8-12 weeks.

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 01-27-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Closed Thread