It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

laskalady HB User
Joint Issues..Please help!

Hello everyone,

Ive been having some really scary type of joint issues lately. First off, I have always had problematic joints I think. I dislocated my shoulder at around 15 yrs of age...Then, about a year ago I devloped tmj disorder which is jaw dislocation...i have limted opening. I was told I have some head forward posture. Just this week all of my joints have been popping like crazy. Everytime I make a move.. or I just feel the need to pop all of my joints...finger knuckles..toe knuckles...my back..my neck everything! and they pop w/o me even doing anything..like when i sit down or something. I have a fear of dislocating any joint b/c they feel loose when I do strenous activities...Does anyone know what might be going on with me?? Any advice??? oh yeah im 26years old/female.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dewdrop333 HB User
Re: Joint Issues..Please help!

Have you looked into "ehlers danlos" its a genitic condition that causes many of the symptoms you are mentioning ...[removed]talk to your doctor.

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-24-2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Please do not direct users to do searches outside of healthboards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Joint Issues..Please help!

There are several Genetic disorders that cause sublexation and dislocation of the joints. The primary one, as mentioned is Ehlers Danlos Sydrome. It is a disorder of the collagen or connective tissue and the basic symptoms are loose skin, frequent joint dislocation or sublexation, soft velvety skin, skin may tear easily, skin bruises easily, early onset of Osteoarthritis, scars that appear to have a "clear" appearance about them and chronic pain.

There are several types of EDS and each type has more specific symptoms and problems. The vascular type will involve the organs and can be fatal. The more benign type is considered Hypermobile and generally only involves the joints in terms of the dislocation and sublexation.

Because it is genetic someone in your family tree must have the disorder in order for you to have it. It can be diagnosed by a geneticist doing a skin patch test. They hypermobile type can not be detected but is diagnosed by ruling out all other forms and conditions.

I have Type III, the hypermobile type. My joints dislocate and sublex quite often. I suffer from very severe debilitating pain as a result of it. I had an early onset of OA at age 10 and am now 40. I was not diagnosed until I was 30 and had already had some 12 operations to correct my joints prior to that.

There are other conditions that also have similiar sypmtoms and it's important that you seek out a doctor to try to find out what exactly is going on. You can start with your general doctor and do ask about EDS. Don't let a doctor put you off and say "oh you just are hypermobile".. well of course you are and there's a reason and knowing the reason is quite important so you know how to take care of your joints in the future. If you don't find any answers with your general doctor as a start keep out a geneticist who specializes in these types of disorders. It may take a bit of testing but if you have EDS or any of the other similiar conditions they would most likely be the best person to test and diagnose and suggest appropriate treatment if needed.

Good luck to you
Barb

Closed Thread