It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

oscarsmum HB User
Scared Bone cyst on hip -cancer?

I have been having groin hip and thigh pain periodically for about two years, which has been getting progressively worse,especially after activity and at the end of the day. I recently had an xray which revealed a hole in the bone of my hip socket caused by a cyst.I had blood test and am waiting for an mri appointment to find out if it is benign or not.I am really scared that this is going to be bone cancer and wondered if anyone has had a similar experiance and if so would love to hear any stories or advice anybody can give me about what the next step will be ? Thanks

Old 01-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User
Re: Scared Bone cyst on hip -cancer?

Been there. I have a large bone cyst on my hip. Had pain for 10 years and it got so bad I had an x-ray taken. The radiologist thought at first it was multible myeloma. I had blood tests and an MRI. Turns out it was just a cyst. It is common to find bone cysts if you have osteoarthritis in the hip. The only concern is if it gets large enough to weaken the bone. If it is very large they can go in and inject a type of cement to fill the hole. Hope this helps and your results come back as well as mine. You symptoms sound just like mine.
Newfie11

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

oscarsmum HB User

Thanks for replying,got mri in 2 wks so hopefully things will turn out
ok.Glad to hear that everything was ok for you and I hope that you are pain free now
Oscarsmum

Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

judy03 HB User

HI I was excited to read your post sorry to say that I was happy to find you had symptoms similar to mine. I have had a fair amount of pain in my Si joint area for about 10 years I have gone everywhere to try and find relief ( at my own cost most of the time-even in Canada). No one could tell me why I had the pain. It was not like "normal" back pain that hurt (accute) when I moved more a deep achey hurt that did get worse at the end of the day - however I did not hurt when I rode my horse - perhaps endorphins or not weight bearing so these facts confused a lot of people Anyway I just had a second MRI and a sports doctor relayed a tiny bit of info my regular doctor dismissed - about a hip bone cyst but it is on the opposite side I usually feel pain - my hip hurts all of the time now but I can cause that accute pain by crossing my leg over in front of my body when lying on the floor - the pain hurts a lot in the groin area then. I also have lots of pain in the SI area but on the opposite side as well. I am going for a CT next week to confirm I guess. I found a site that said hip bone cysts are rare and often incorrectly diagnosed and over treated.
Do you have relief from the pain? what treatment options are there? do you think vitamin d and calcium supplements would help?
if any one has any info please respond
thank you
ps I have had to quit teaching due to the pain so any help would be great

Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Curious how both of oscarsmum and judy3 are doing. Did you get your results back yet. I have had several surgeries for bone tumors - one being the left hip/femur requiring a rod and screws.
Let me know if I can help with questions.

Closed Thread