It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

sagoo HB User
Swollen Left Rib Cage

Just woke up yesterday morning and noticed that my left rib cage was slightly swollen. It is right below the left breast, mid abdomen section. There's no pain, mainly discomfort. Haven't been participating in any sports lately, only minor exercise like walking. It's scaring the heck out of me, will be going to the doctor's tomorrow. Can anyone provide some insight?

Last edited by sagoo; 01-24-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

ForrestGunt HB User
Re: Swollen Left Rib Cage

Google "Costochondritis"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
(female)

daffyde HB User

I have discovered the same thing on my ribcage. Let me know what you find out at the doctors.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
(female)

daffyde HB User

Thanks! I googled what you said and think I have found what I am looking for. Problem should go away on it's own. I'm in no real pain with it, just soreness in that area of my body.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
(female)

daffyde HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagoo View Post
Just woke up yesterday morning and noticed that my left rib cage was slightly swollen. It is right below the left breast, mid abdomen section. There's no pain, mainly discomfort. Haven't been participating in any sports lately, only minor exercise like walking. It's scaring the heck out of me, will be going to the doctor's tomorrow. Can anyone provide some insight?
Try "googling" with Costochondritis and see if this is what you are experiencing. It described my sympthoms.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
(female)

sagoo HB User

My doctor doesn't have a clue to what the cause was. She had advise me to take Aleve in the meantime until the blood work comes back. It does sound like the symptoms like I am having, but I want to be 100% sure. It's going to be a long weekend, I'm still pretty worried. I won't hear the results until next week.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
(female)

sagoo HB User

The swelling has decreased, I'm feeling a bit better though. How long did you have your symptoms?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
(female)

greeneyed girl HB User

SAGOO WHEN I READ YOUR POST I THOUGHT IT WAS MINE . I POSTED THE SAME THING EXCEPT I HAVE NO DISCOMFORT JUST WEIRED LOOKING . WENT TO THE DOC. JUST KINDA MADE LIGHT OF IT AND SAID OH YOUR JUST MADE FUNNY. SO I STOPPED WORRYING ABOUT IT.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
(female)

ForrestGunt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagoo View Post
My doctor doesn't have a clue to what the cause was. She had advise me to take Aleve in the meantime until the blood work comes back. It does sound like the symptoms like I am having, but I want to be 100% sure. It's going to be a long weekend, I'm still pretty worried. I won't hear the results until next week.
I have ankylosing spondylitits and the rib cage inflammation and costochondritis is a big part of the disease. The inflammation ususally starts in my sternum between the 3rd & 5tth rib and will radiate around to the back.

I've had a dozen episodes in the last 5 years or so. Sometimes the pain is very localized and lasts for a couple of days. At its worst it lasted for 3 weeks and caused breathing difficulties. God forbid you have to sneeze when it's this bad, it feels like your lungs are going to blow out your spine.

Other things to worry about with left rib pain would be inflammation of the spleen, gastritis, IBS, pancreatitis, pulled muscle, bruised rib, swollen lymph nodes, and heart problems. Hopefully your doctor examined you for these things.

Let us know what you find out.

Closed Thread