My 12 yr. old daughter had an x-ray on her knees to see what the pain she was experiencing might be. The x-ray was labeled abnormal. The dr. ordered an MRI. The MRI report stats it dose not have fluid so it is not a bone cyst. This is the typical location for a nonossifying fibroma but has some atypical features. There is endosteal loss of cortex posteriorly. The MRI recommended having a CT scan that will show the cortex more. And also mentioned Nuclear bone scam. I have done some research and a nonossifyin fibroma is in side the bone and dose not effect the outside lining of the bone. Our dr had spoke to a dear friend of his that is an Orthopedist Oncologist (bone tumor specialist). He recommended waiting 4 mo. and re x-ray. He wants her to limit her gymnastics, (no high bar), and no ATV racing. He must be concerned if he asking a bone tumor specialist. I am not comfortable waiting when they don't know exactly what it is. Our dr is upset with us. We has recommended an orthopedic surgeon and we go to see him on the 2-16. I have done a lot of research so I feel more informed at the appointment. Has anyone delt with this before? Do you know about this?
I am having a simmiar experience, I took my 15 year old son for x-rays last October for left knee pain that had been going on for months, the xrays came back as abnormal and he was sent for a bone scan a week later, those findings from the scan came back as benign non-ossifying fibroma that is 14cm x 3.3cm x 4.0cm and occupies more than 50% of his femur diameter, they are concerned about a patholocial fracture and have referred us to an othopedic surgeon and he is to stop all activities which is hard for him as he plays in a competetive fastball league and is a brown belt in Karate. We finally have our appointment with the surgeon after waiting 4.5 months (crappy health care). I too have been doing reserch on this condition and am eager to talk to others that are going throug this.
I am so sorry you too are having the same problem with your child, but it is nice to hear from someone that knows what I am going through. I don't the report with me to see how large it is but I don't think it is as large as your sons. My daughter hasn't been told no activity, but limited. She is a gymnast and is not allowed to go off the high bar. She also races ATVís on flat track, thank goodness itís not that season yet and she also plays modified football for the school. We are hoping to get the results of her testing before football season starts. We also were referred to an orthopedic surgeon. She is scheduled to have another x-ray at the end of the month to see if it has gotten bigger. I am also frustrated that they seem to be taking there time. I wish you the best. Hang in there. Please let me know how things went. Good luck.
I was reading through the messages.....no, I don't have any of the
problems you are questioning, but when I saw NY under your name, I
just want to say that the Hospital for Joint Diseases in Manhattan is
the best you can get....just felt I had to put in a word.