It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
(female)

rhales199 HB User
Question anyone have experience/ advice about bone density loss???

I hope this is the right board to ask this question-

Anyone have experience/ advice about bone density loss??
Anything that could apply to anyone, not just my own situation, would be okay.

The particular reason I'm asking about this is that through what is now proving to have been a 'happy accident' (happy being that if it hadn't of happened, we wouldn't have found out about the bone density loss issue) , we are finding out that my hubby seems to have some bone density loss.
He was born with Cerebral Palsy, and uses an electric wheelchair to get around. He was having bowel pain last week, so i took him to the hospital two times. both times they did blood tests. That left him too weak to lift himself later that night when he fell. When he fell, he twisted his left toe, which has a screw in it. His toe hasn't 'sat' right ever since. I took him to immediate care to have his toe looked at, and they did an x-ray. When his regular Dr. saw the x-ray on Monday, she and the nurse both thought there might be evidence of bone loss, so they had him go in (to another clinic- theirs doesn't have that type of equipment) and do a bone density test. The nurse that did it basically told us that it looks like he has had some loss in his spine. We will be visiting w/ his Dr. tomorrow to find out more, and see what she wants to do about this.
We know him getting more calcium, Vitamin D, and magnesium, as well as exercise will help, so we're going to see if his Dr. can give him a perscription for some arm crutches (he can walk with the use of a cane or arm crutch) and Ensure w/ Calcium, and we'll also call an herbalist friend and see about getting the other stuff.

If anyone has any experience/ advice, feel free to share!!!

Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Re: anyone have experience/ advice about bone density loss???

Hi Becky, you might try the posting osteoporosis, they have a wealth of information and experience with bone density. I hope this helps!!!! wildflowers

Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Thanks!!! for some reason, all the other times that i looked on the list of what boards there are here, I never saw the osteoporosis board. i will go check it out.

BTW, his Dr. put him on Fosomax, as well as all the vitamins I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by rhales199; 02-20-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhales199 View Post
Thanks!!! for some reason, all the other times that i looked on the list of what boards there are here, I never saw the osteoporosis board. i will go check it out.

BTW, his Dr. put him on Fosomax, as well as all the vitamins I mentioned earlier.

i had my ankle fused in august...and doc discovered while in the OR that my talus was porous...and had to use extra pins to bypass it. now i don't know what to do or who to go to
as far as fixing or helping it. i do calcium,vit d...not on any hormones or anything. up til this fusing i was very active..weights and walking and golf. good luck to your husband

Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

Ruffian29 HB User

I'm 22 and I broke my arm (humerus) falling off a horse- they said that it should take 6-8 weeks to heal on its own, and 2 months later after seeing no new bone growth they did a bone density scan and diagnosed me with osteopenia. Its not as bad as having osteoporosis, but at 22 it is definitely not good.
"Fixing" this problem has been an issue in itself. At the time I was set to move out of state the next day- a move I couldn't wait to make really. So i called my pcp to try and get an appt for the next morning. I finally got one made and then the receptionist (who is always really hard work) called back and said that my pcp didn't want to see me- because I was moving she did not want to treat me she wanted me to see someone in NY. Despite the fact that I said I would drive back for follow-up. Even after explaining that my insurance would not cover my seeing a doctor out of state, and that I would come back for follow ups, she still refused to make an appointment. She wanted me to go back to my orthopedic surgeon and ask him what to do (and, uh, duh- he doesn't deal with that. he fixes fractures). So I was simply taking calcium for awhile when I finally got to see my doctor a few months later she ordered some tests (thyroid, and vitamin D levels) and I asked what would happen if they came back normal (which they did) and she said she'd call me and make an appointment with the chronologist in the office (which she never did). She said I might have a genetic predeposition.
So now my health insurance has run out, I've moved across the country- I gave up the one thing that I wanted to do my whole life (ride racehorses) and I'm still just taking calcium pills.
Its a bit of a sad story but thats what I've went / am going through.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

wow...you sound like it's really been a difficult time! i finally saw my pcp and he said he had no idea ho wthey would treat a possible isolated case of osteoporous in a certain area. anyway..first step is a bone density of course..and they are going to try something with my ankle..tho not sure what exactly.'

we have a nationally renouned osteoporosis doc who just left my area..(darn) but he is going to try to make an appointment with his assistant..tho i haven't heard yet. and of course, we are running the typical thyroid,,vitamin cbc etc etc blood work.

22 is very young...i'm 56 and they think i'm very young for this problem. but when i originally broke my ankle,,,i was just about 20yo...and i was in a long leg cast for 9 months. it just didn't heal well!

if you don't have insurance, go to a doc anyway,,they can always write stuff off...and you obviously need help, or you will have worse problems...(similar to mine??) when you get older.

sorry you can't race horses,,but i hope some good comes out of it and you are happy.

Closed Thread