It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
(male)

caliguy HB User
Proper tongue position / swallowing?

I think its sort of weird that I even have this problem but I think it is a direct result of the tightness in my jaw muscles.. I've basically forgotten what the natural tongue position is as well as how to swallow properly, when I swallow now it seems like it sends too much of a sort of spasm through my jaw muscles on the sides of my face. I went to a physical therapist and she told me to put the tongue right above my teeth with suction to hold it there, this is feeling more natural the more I do it but I still have some problems with swallowing.

When I am around other people, talking it gets a lot worse and gives me anxiety since I have to think about when I swallow and try to do it what I feel is the correct way, its really draining mentally and I need to figure out a way to fix this.

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone knows of some free resources on the internet that have information on correcting tongue position / swallowing as I would like to try to correct this on my own rather than going to physical therapy which is expensive and it seems they can only do so much since you have to practice a lot on your own anyways to correct things.

Last edited by caliguy; 05-05-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Proper tongue position / swallowing?

I've been told by several tmj drs that the proper position for your tongue is directly behind your upper front teeth and towards the roof our mouth or hard palate - not down towards the bottom teeth - but since I also have tongue problems and can't seem to remember how a normal tongue feels anymore - I can't really say if this is correct or not.

You could try searching the web for tmj mouth, jaw or tongue exercises or tongue lifts - one of the drs I have been to gave me a leaflet of exercises by a Dr Michael S Patner of San Mateo CA, although I am not certain if he has a web site.

Quite frankly I am not certain that home treatments alone will solve your problem since the tongue is basically a muscle guided by the position of the teeth and jaws and the hyoid bone and requires the use of other muscles to work properly.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 05-06-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply