It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
(female)

mbrooks559 HB User
Popping noise and pain in shoulder

About two months ago I was in a car accident that left me with multiple injuries. I was checked out for many things but not my shoulder at the time as there was no indication that the shoulder was injured (no swelling, no nothing). For the first week or two my shoulder was just slightly sore and I assumed it was from the seat belt, however it progressively began getting worse.

It first started with subtle aches and a slight soreness, then it began to grow into sharp pains at the top of the shoulder near the collar bone and then eventually sharp pains around breast bone area when I took a deep breathe.

About a week later I began to experience swelling on top of the shoulder (near the neck), collar bone area, and the breast bone area.

As the sharp pains continued I tried working out the shoulder and began noticing a popping that you could both hear and feel. The popping noise is coming from somewhere between the shoulder and the clavicle and there's a visible rise right on top of where the popping noise is coming from.

I went to see an Orthopedist and had an MRI done, but he said it was one of my tendons strained and that he saw "maybe a little fluid in the collar bone" but that's it. He's ordered physical therapy but that hasn't started yet.

Is there a possibility something was missed? The pain is actually worsening, the swelling will go down only with ice, but the "rise" where the popping noise is does not go down at all which makes me think that that area is not swelling but something is actually damaged somehow.

Any opinions would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
(female)

YuliaNichya HB User
Re: Popping noise and pain in shoulder

It sounds like you may have suffered alittle bit of a separation or crack in your collarbone/shoulder area. The little bit of fluid in your shoulder area, maybe the cause of the popping. Does your shoulder feel like it slips out of place? your OS may be right about one of your tendons being strained/sprained, thus causing a mild separation at the shoulder/clavical area. Was your shoulder hit in any way during the accident? Yes Its possible that your OS missed something. Do you have any bruising? If you're not happy with the OS's results, get a SECOND opinion. Where do you live (City/state)? if you choose to go to a second OS, I may be able to to direct you to a GOOD OS, depending on where you live. Let me know and may I can help you out and hopefully get you better.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-10-2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 06-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

mbrooks559 HB User

So far I've had an x-ray and MRI done on the shoulder. The x-ray revealed no fractures or any type of separations. I then insisted on an MRI to be done in which he didn't even want to do at first. Problem is, he's getting yanked around by the insurance company that is paying for all of this. It's a Worker's Comp case, therefore, according to NC law I can't go with a doctor of my choice and all the doctors are chosen by the insurance company and the insurance company didn't get this Ortho until two weeks ago and I had been complaining about the shoulder since the accident, amongst other things.

So anyways.... he's getting yanked around by the insurance company not to do expensive tests, and I had to fight tooth and nail to justify why an MRI needed to be done to MY assigned doctor.

So he relented and sure enough found a few problems but I almost feel like they are being downplayed a bit. But I am not a medical doctor nor do I know anything about medicine. I just have a gut feeling there's more to this and they are hoping they can get with something like PT instead of doing something else to fix whatever is going on in there.

And to answer your other question Yul, the shoulder wasn't *hit* perse. The truck I was in actually flipped over, and so my body was thrown into the seat belt, and it locked as I continued to go forward and then to the side (left) as the truck flipped over completely before settling back down.

I remember some parts of the accident, and I remember feeling a very very sharp pain when I was thrown forward and the seat belt locked. Then another sharp pain as I was thrown to the side as the truck was flipping over. So I actually had thought about a month ago if there was any possibility that maybe I had separated my shoulder and then it popped back in place during the accident.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuliaNichya View Post
It sounds like you may have suffered alittle bit of a separation or crack in your collarbone/shoulder area. The little bit of fluid in your shoulder area, maybe the cause of the popping. Does your shoulder feel like it slips out of place? your OS may be right about one of your tendons being strained/sprained, thus causing a mild separation at the shoulder/clavical area. Was your shoulder hit in any way during the accident? Yes Its possible that your OS missed something. Do you have any bruising? If you're not happy with the OS's results, get a SECOND opinion. Where do you live (City/state)? if you choose to go to a second OS, I may be able to to direct you to a GOOD OS, depending on where you live. Let me know and may I can help you out and hopefully get you better.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

YuliaNichya HB User

You are welcome. I hope you feel better. I hurt my shoulder too (MOSTLIKELY) overuse from dancing and gosh knows what else. I've had many injuies (many which were minor). Over all its ok. I cracked my collarbone (same side as the overuse injury of shoulder (left). I am still able to move my arm like normal. all you could see is alittle bruising (obviously, I am really skinny and you can naturally see my collarbone. at least its not out of place. Yeah it hurts like crazy,but I can deal with it without pain meds. (I have a VERY HIGH pain tolorance). you think I'll keep my arm/shoulder still for 6 to 8 weeks? NO, I like to be free and able to do what I want within reason. Good luck

Old 06-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
(female)

mbrooks559 HB User

Quote:
You are welcome. I hope you feel better. I hurt my shoulder too (MOSTLIKELY) overuse from dancing and gosh knows what else. I've had many injuies (many which were minor). Over all its ok. I cracked my collarbone (same side as the overuse injury of shoulder (left). I am still able to move my arm like normal. all you could see is alittle bruising (obviously, I am really skinny and you can naturally see my collarbone. at least its not out of place. Yeah it hurts like crazy,but I can deal with it without pain meds. (I have a VERY HIGH pain tolorance). you think I'll keep my arm/shoulder still for 6 to 8 weeks? NO, I like to be free and able to do what I want within reason. Good luck
I have pretty high pain tolerance, don't think as much as you do though LOL. But, I'm able to handle most things pretty well, but you get to a point where it's start wearing you down. For instance, I was originally told I had a sprain in my back from the accident, but that continued to get worse just like the shoulder did. It eventually got to a point where I could sit without writhing in pain, and I found out from 4/4/07 to 6/5/07, I had been suffering with Sciatica wich involves some major nerve that runs into my lower back and down into my tail bone and leg. The exact things I had been complaining about while complaining about how the shoulder was getting worse as well. And don't even get me started about my head! But all of that at the same time... guess it has a tendency to wear the body down a bit and tiring you out with have to feel pain from different areas of the body constantly.

Well, again, thank you so very much Yul for the insight. Hopefully once PT does start, someone in PT will reaffirm as well there is something else to do this and not just what the OS said. That might be a way for the insurance company to be forced into having a second opinion done on my shoulder.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
(female)

YuliaNichya HB User

I will continue to pray for you to get better. Hopefuly you find out EVERYTHING about your shoulder. My dad has Sciatica. I want to be a DR. that is how and why I know alot int he medical field especially in the (ENT and Othopedics). I am only 18 years old too. Good luck and thank you for being nice.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
(female)

mbrooks559 HB User

Quote:
I want to be a DR.
Wow, that's great. We need some good, honest, caring docs around. I wish the absolute best in that!!

Closed Thread