It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

Barbara72 HB User
Getting Hardware Removed after Broken Ankle

I need help with a decision. About a year ago, I broke my ankle and tore some ligaments in the same ankle. At that time, I got a metal plate and 7 screws put into my ankle for support. Now, my doctor tells me that I am at the point now to decide if I want to get the hardware (metal plate and 7 screws) removed from my ankle?

His advice did not help much becuase he tells me that it really does not make a difference whether I keep it there or not. So I am turning to you all for advice.

Have any of you ever gotten the hardware removed? If so, did it help? Or what type of problems could I face in the future if I dont get it removed?

Thanks so much to all that reply - I just don't know what is best.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
(male)

Beagleboy360 HB User
Re: Getting Hardware Removed after Broken Ankle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara72 View Post
I need help with a decision. About a year ago, I broke my ankle and tore some ligaments in the same ankle. At that time, I got a metal plate and 7 screws put into my ankle for support. Now, my doctor tells me that I am at the point now to decide if I want to get the hardware (metal plate and 7 screws) removed from my ankle?

His advice did not help much becuase he tells me that it really does not make a difference whether I keep it there or not. So I am turning to you all for advice.

Have any of you ever gotten the hardware removed? If so, did it help? Or what type of problems could I face in the future if I dont get it removed?

Thanks so much to all that reply - I just don't know what is best.

I say get it out, as soon as everything is healed. As of today, I've had 3 surgery for broken bones where i needed plates put in. I got one out already, one will be out when i move to Canada, and i just broke my arm last week.
It was when i was waiting to see the doc. I met a man who got it done when he was younger. And now the metal messed up the bones. He has to now get it taken out, and the holes drilled to get all the corrosion from out of the bones. Which is worse because of his age. that is what scared me the most.

If you are going to do it, do it when you dont have to go to school, or work, when you can relax and let everything heal up good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

Barbara72 HB User
Re: Getting Hardware Removed after Broken Ankle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleboy360 View Post
I say get it out, as soon as everything is healed. As of today, I've had 3 surgery for broken bones where i needed plates put in. I got one out already, one will be out when i move to Canada, and i just broke my arm last week.
It was when i was waiting to see the doc. I met a man who got it done when he was younger. And now the metal messed up the bones. He has to now get it taken out, and the holes drilled to get all the corrosion from out of the bones. Which is worse because of his age. that is what scared me the most.

If you are going to do it, do it when you dont have to go to school, or work, when you can relax and let everything heal up good.
Thank you for your opinion. I have been doing a lot of research and will be removing it shortly. I actually talked to a friend of the family and he said many years ago his friend broke his ankle and left the harware there. 10 years after the injury he decided to get it removed because it was causing him problems and now, being 50 plus years old, he can barely walk a mile. He said that it did screw up his bones after time and he wishes that he got it removed when he was younger. I am only 36 so I figure that I have a better chance to recover fully if I get it removed now.

I also figure that it actaully weakens your bone because of the screws breaking up the mass and that the bone could rely on it too much and don't / can't grow as strong as it potentially could.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how i am doing once it js removed. The doc said that I will be back in the walking boot for 6 weeks after the surgury. I can deal with that.

B

Closed Thread