It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

pammyd HB User
what type of sneaker should you wear after having a broken ankle

what type of sneaker should you wear after having a broken ankle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: what type of sneaker should you wear after having a broken ankle

Are you still wearing any kind of aircast or wrap? Has your doctor given you any suggestions?

Definitely, you want something comfortable, with good arch support. You might want to go to an orthopedic shoe store or a good running shoe store (not a chain like Modell's or Footlocker that just has kids working there) and find a shoe expert.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
(female)

pammyd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Are you still wearing any kind of aircast or wrap? Has your doctor given you any suggestions?

Definitely, you want something comfortable, with good arch support. You might want to go to an orthopedic shoe store or a good running shoe store (not a chain like Modell's or Footlocker that just has kids working there) and find a shoe expert.
i'm still in cam walker, it is week 11 since surgery, dr. said i should be able to put on a sneaker at week 12. dr wasn't specific about kind just that it had to be a laced up one.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Pretty much any good walking/jogging sneaker, just keep in mind you might have to fit an ankle support in there too. Do you have good sneakers around the house somewhere?

Feel free to check out some of our recovery posts on the Foot Disorders page.

Oh! This is important. On your good foot, you have a shoe with a sole about 2 inches high, so you walk evenly with that CAM walker. Otherwise, you'll mess up your back.

Are you going to PT yet? Doing lots of exercises several times a day?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
(female)

pammyd HB User

Thanks for the info. Yes I am going to PT just completed my second week. Yes doing lots of exercises 3x a day. If someone would have told me that it took so long to recurperate from a broken ankle before it happened, I would have never believed it. No wonder my doctor told me that this was her biggest fear.....to break her ankle. Wow was she right!!
Good luck to all my fellow sufferers, here's to a speedy recovery!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've recently recovered from a broken ankle. It is amazing how long it took to get my ankle/foot strength back after getting out of the cam walker- like 3 months of PT. Good luck with you recovery.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
(female)

pammyd HB User

thank you. glad to hear you have recovered. i'm in my 13th week since surgery (plate and 10 screws). just got out of the cam walker very happy about that. i'm in my 4th week of PT and now will be getting more aggressive treatment (had to have gentle for the first 3 weeks due to bone not completely healed). it certainly is a long haul....but it is what it is and we have to do our best to get well.
good luck and stay well.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
(female)

WYNDE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post

It has been 8 weeks since I broke my ankle and had surgery. Plate and pins within. I am now putting weight on the ankle but the doctor just told me to put on my sneakers and walk. I have it wraped but I just don't feel like I have enough support.

Last edited by WYNDE; 04-06-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Closed Thread