It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
(female)

nascargirl74 HB User
Question Anyone ever have a Ankle replacement or Ankle Fusion?

I have RA. My left Ankle has subtalar fusion. My Orthopedic Doctor today confirmed I am getting RA in my Ankle. He advised I will probably have to have Ankle replacement. I am looking for stories or advise ...Please Help!!

Thanks

Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User
Re: Anyone ever have a Ankle replacement or Ankle Fusion?

My daughter had a talar (sp) fracture in her ankle from a car accident - she also is dealing with Lupus and RA - this surgery is very complicated and ther is a lot of rehab involved with it - she did not have a choice but the recovery was tough - however, she did recover and is having minimal problems with the ankle - good luck to you huggs Aver

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I have had an ankle fusion, but not a replacement. I would be happy to answer questions if you have any.

Step

Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
(female)

jlt1000 HB User

I had an ankle fusion resulting from a car accident when I was younger. My talus bone was crushed and then removed.

At the time, the options were an artificial replacement or fusion. I chose fusion, but I know someone else who got an infection following an injury a few years later and opted for a rare (at the time) cadaver replacement.

Fusion was the easy way out in some regards as there wasn't really any PT required. Just a year and a half on crutches! Retrospectively, I think the cadaver replacement, while a little morbid and certainly more intensive in terms of PT, is the better option. Artificial replacements, as I understand it was the case in the 1990s, required replacement every few years. Who wants to deal with that!? And again, the cadaver replacement wasn't an option at the time.

The person I know with the cadaver replacement doesn't seem to have any problems. She's in her mid 30s.

Approximately 15 years after my fusion, I've gained a little weight due to limited ability to play sports and get around. I'm only 32, but I have a good bit of arthritis issues, and the podiatrist I visited wants me to wear special shoes... also discussing future surgeries... hammer toes also affect this foot now, possibly as a result of this. I also wonder about posture overall since that leg is a little shorter...

I hope that helps, I'm happy to answer any additional questions you may have! Good luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

There's a new procedure I don't know if you've heard of it - Biological Ankle Replacement. It was pioneered at UC at San Diego and just came out this year. It has no metal parts, they actually restore the ankle with an FDA-approved biologic material in a two hour minimally invasive surgery.

It's new, I don't know if it'll be available in your area. (nevermind, I just noticed you're from Bridgeport, Yale New Haven will be doing the BAR)

I had my subtalar joint fused years ago and I know my ankle is going next. Well, in line after both my wrists and knees that is.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 08-29-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Add post script

Old 09-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
(female)

hollieg53 HB User

I just had an ankle fusion due to arthritis too. It has only been 3 months (june 20, 08) and I am walking using only one crutch occassionally and very little pain or swelling. I have none of the original pain and feel confidant that the stiffness will go away and I will be walking pretty normally. I am 55, and active. I am riding my recumbant bike for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, trying to do it daily, but time sometimes doesn't allow that, but I walk around and do household chores (vacuuming is a challenge, but good excercise!). If it gets a little swollen or sore, I just put some ice on it and put it up. I think it was the right decision. My dr has 22 years experience doing fusions, and he did it arthroscopically. Good luck! Also, I was back to work in a week, but could have gone sooner, I think.

Last edited by hollieg53; 09-27-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Addition

Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
(female)

Vicki 9255 HB User

Hello, This is my first post. I have avascular necrosis in my joints due to Systemic Lupus. Prolonged steroid and immunosupressive drugs have also contributed to my bone and joint destruction. I had a left ankle fusion in 1995 and did quite well. I have also had 4 other major joint replacements within the last 13 years. I was scheduled in July 2008 to have a new ankle joint replacement of my right ankle called a Salto Talaris by Tornier. Has anyone else heard of this new replacement? I was turned down by my husbands insurance company because they deemed it too experimental. The FDA approved it for use in the USA in November 2006. It has been so frustrating and I have been in terrible ankle pain for the last 2 years. My last appeal will be coming up on October 20th. The insurance company said it would pay for a right ankle fusion, but, with my left ankle already fused, having both ankles fused would be so difficult. I have already been through an arthrodesis of my right ankle in 2002. Thanks for any information you might have.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

There is something not quite right with your post and maybe you could clarify?

You had the left ankle fused in 1995...that is clear.

Quote:
I have already been through an arthrodesis of my right ankle in 2002
. An arthrodesis IS a fusion so if this statement is correct, your right ankle has already been fused. Did you mean something else possibly arthroeresis (a scope of the ankle?).

Old 10-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
(female)

Vicki 9255 HB User

Yes, I had a triple arthrodesis of my right mid foot in 2002. A fusion of the ankle joint is quite different. My left ankle joint was fused a few years ago. I am hopeing I can avoid having both ankle joints fused, and instead have the right ankle replaced. Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
(female)

tess50 HB User

Hi I had an ankle replacement a year ago this week,im just 51 with severe rhemutois arthritis,i must say it was the best deciision i have ever made in my life,before i had it i was walking with a limp and my quality of life was awfull,i was offered the chance,i thought long and hard as it was a big operation,i had the johnson Mobility De Puy its titanian 3 piece and is fantastic.I just have a 6 inch scare going down the front of my foot thats all,and has heeled nicely.I no longer have a stick,i walk straight,dance wear shoes with a heel and living my life to the full now.A fusion was offered but my surgeon advised me that would not last as less movement in my ankle with that so i took the ankle replacement.I used to be on the internet for hours before reading all about the operation,and infact saw it on the internet and it helped me know what would happen.I will say to anyone its just the after care really that takes time,i was lucky it was winter,so i kept myself busy in home,with my computer and i was in plaster then aircast boot.Its a new operation,and i was the second person in my hospital to have it done,but i am sure its worked.If it lasts me 5 to 10 years i am happy.I am at the surgeon on wednedsay for my yearly check,so i will keep you all informed.Wish me Luch Tess.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
(female)

Carol41 HB User
Smile Re: Anyone ever have a Ankle replacement or Ankle Fusion?

I had my right ankle fused in September of 2007. I had a lot of pain and now I'm pain free. I walk on a tread mill, with no pain. I would recomend a ankle fusion to anyone having a lot of arthritic pain. I am 67 years old, and have been in pain since an accident in 1960. Make sure you find the best doctor to do it.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #12
(male)

chrispycritter HB User

No No no! Dont listen to someone who says ankle fusion is easy and simple!!!! I have had 2 and there is nothing easy about it. Its very painful and bloody, i had my second one on December 4th after the first one was a non union. If you want more info e-mail me. Its a very serious surgery.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
(female)

mommafluff HB User

Sounds to me like she was referring to a Triple Arthrodesis of her Right Midfoot, which is not the ankle. A triple arthrodesis consists of the surgical fusion of the talocalcaneal (TC), talonavicular (TN), and calcaneocuboid (CC) joints in the foot.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
(female)

mommafluff HB User

I had bilateral triple arthrodesis done for traumatic degeneratve joint disease after a head on collision crushed both of my heels in 2002. The first surgery was on my right foot in 2003. I then had a subtalar fusion of my left foot 4 months later. In 2005 I had the rest of the triple arthrodesis on my left foot. It has been a brutal recovery. Many many many months in a wheelchair, in physical therapy, and on pain meds. I can't imagine being able to run. Walking is very difficult. My feet swell, and I have intense pain. Walking on uneven surfaces, inclines, declines, and sand is painful and challenging. Sitting for long periods of time also causes swelling and pain. My feet become tight and difficult to move. My husband was also in the accident and crushed his Right heel, he had a subtalar fusion in 2003. His foot is still very swollen and discolored after all these years. He has put most of his weight on his left leg to compensate and now needs his left knee replaced. I am looking at having a left ankle replacement vs a fusion. I envy all of you who have positive stories to tell. I am an RN and my husband a Journeyman sheet metal worker. Neither of us have been able to return to work. Both of us suffer from back problems due to our gait and chronic pain from DJD. I am 50 and my husband is 52. I guess we're in the minority, but if I had to choose to have the surgeries again, I would. Definitely worth it. Bone on bone is excrutiating and do not regret them. Just wish we were more functional.
Does anyone know a surgeon in Santa Barbara county CA or the area that does ankle replacements?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
(male)

gschales HB User

Check with Dr. Daniel K. Lee at UC San Diego Medical Center.

I was told that he has not had to revise a procedure since he started biological replacements in 2002.

I am working on getting this procedure because I need to keep my ankle mobility due to my profession. Pain management is challenging and has become more of an issue in the last year.

I would like to get any feedback from anyone who has had this procedure done by Dr. Lee in the last year. I have been waiting for technology to catch-up with my injury since 2004.

Thanks

Closed Thread