It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
(male)

abdirashid99 HB User
Bone lesion

I have 61 yrs old sister, who is Doesn't speak any engilsh. SHE HAD A CAR ACCIDENT ON 8-8-08, AND END UP TO ER. She had chest x-ray, some orthopedic x-rays, and ct of her lambar and c-spine. The ER doctor says she has multiple bone lesions on her spine and her hip joint.

The ER doctor told her to see her primary doctor right way, and do some kind of bone scan and blood work. Can any body help me where to what to do and where to begin?

Abdi

Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: Bone lesion

She needs to get into see an orthopedic (bone) surgeon. If you can locate an oncological orthopedic surgeon, that would be the best. Look in the phone book or call her primary care doctor and let them refer you onto one.
There is a bone scan that they will get ordered that will "highlight" any bone abnormalities in her entire body. If she is anxious about this, they can probably give her something to sedate her for the procedure. It does NOT hurt at all, but it does take a long time laying still for the scan.

As far as the type of lesions she has - if they have not given her any trouble or pain, then I would not worry about cancer. There are many more benign (noncancerous) bone lesion diseases than bone cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
(male)

abdirashid99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtofluv View Post
She needs to get into see an orthopedic (bone) surgeon. If you can locate an oncological orthopedic surgeon, that would be the best. Look in the phone book or call her primary care doctor and let them refer you onto one.
There is a bone scan that they will get ordered that will "highlight" any bone abnormalities in her entire body. If she is anxious about this, they can probably give her something to sedate her for the procedure. It does NOT hurt at all, but it does take a long time laying still for the scan.

As far as the type of lesions she has - if they have not given her any trouble or pain, then I would not worry about cancer. There are many more benign (noncancerous) bone lesion diseases than bone cancer.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
(male)

abdirashid99 HB User

Hrtofluv: Thank you very much for all of your information. My sister had allready had bone scan yesterday, her primary doctor sent her to main Hospital radiology department, instead of Orthopeadic surgeon, where she had Bone scan. She is going back to her primary tomorrow.

I wonder if she needs mammography? Do you think if its good idea to do mammography?
I am not happy with her Primry doctor. He just come back from Nigeria. I was dealing with his nurse who was not help full. I hate to change her primary care doctor to this point, and start over again.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Don't change doctors yet. Wait and see what the results from the bone scan are first. Then you can see where dr. might refer her. Also, very good idea to get a mammography and also pap smear (gynecologist can order both). For health reasons, women should have these done once a year. Should she have tumors on the bone scan, these two tests would be very helpful if she has not had them in the last year. And do not let the word tumor scare you. There are many benign (noncancerous) tumors. The dr may use the word tumor, cyst, lesion, or neoplasm.
Tell dr you want a copy of the bone scan report. You have the right to get a copy and don't let them tell you that you can't have one. That way you know the exact terms used and you can do your own research.
Post back and let us know what they say.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

badshoulderpain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdirashid99 View Post
I have 61 yrs old sister, who is Doesn't speak any engilsh. SHE HAD A CAR ACCIDENT ON 8-8-08, AND END UP TO ER. She had chest x-ray, some orthopedic x-rays, and ct of her lambar and c-spine. The ER doctor says she has multiple bone lesions on her spine and her hip joint.

The ER doctor told her to see her primary doctor right way, and do some kind of bone scan and blood work. Can any body help me where to what to do and where to begin?

Abdi
She needs to have multiple MRI's, she could have enchondras (benign) or Chrondrosomas (not benign, but 90% survival rate if they are low grade), I don't mean to frighten you but I have a bone tumor in my left shoulder. Google "The Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative". Lots of great info!

Lori in Dallas, Texas

Closed Thread