It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

Valerie911 HB User
Broken tibia..now atrophy!!

I have 4 more weeks in my air cast..from breaking the tibia. Yesterday I noticed my leg has atrophied. Is there any exercise i can be doing while recouperating? And does it ever build up again? Thank You

Old 08-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: Broken tibia..now atrophy!!

Atrophy is normal when you have a broken bone because you aren't using the muscles in the fractured limb. I do not know if there are any exercises you can do. When I broke my hand several months ago, the muscles in my arm atrophied. Once the bone heals and the limb is not immobilized, you can start to build your muscle strength again by doing physical therapy exercises. It will take time, but your muscle tone will come back as your muscles get stronger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
(female)

Valerie911 HB User
Talking Re: Broken tibia..now atrophy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfan79 View Post
Atrophy is normal when you have a broken bone because you aren't using the muscles in the fractured limb. I do not know if there are any exercises you can do. When I broke my hand several months ago, the muscles in my arm atrophied. Once the bone heals and the limb is not immobilized, you can start to build your muscle strength again by doing physical therapy exercises. It will take time, but your muscle tone will come back as your muscles get stronger.
Ozfan thank you so much for your quick answer. Im new at this message board stuff I sure hope Im replying to you correctly.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

I'm glad I could help you! I hope your recovery goes well!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

unfortunately, for your calf muscle, there isnt much exercices you can do, but you can prevent atrophy of your upper leg muscles( such as the quad) by doing very easy things, a couple of times a day. simply lie down on your back, and squeeze your butt cheeks together, hold for a few seconds, then relax.another great exercise is , while also lying on your back, with your legs flat, try topush the back of your knee "into" the floor or matress. you should feel your quad muscle tightening up, then again, hold of for a few seconds, then relax.
do these for like 5-10 minutes, 3-4 times a day, and it should really help!
im doing those myself for my broken fibula and its working great!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
(female)

Valerie911 HB User

Darksilver..
Thank you...your information sounds very helpful..(and hopeful!) I will start those exercises tonite!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

no problems really.
btw hows the aircast working for you?
i got mine yesterday and its feeling weeeeird...
plus, we had to realign my foot to put it in cause of atrophy of the ligaments in the foot, so now im having pains again
but i guess its worth it in the long run?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
(female)

Valerie911 HB User

hi darksilver
the aircast is comfy at times and yukky other times ...seems it irritates the incision alot and thats soooo painful. i dont pump it up as it causes even more pressure on the wound. What I hate the most is the horrrrrrrrrible smell hehe....just wait a few days youll see what I mean. All the best..I have 4 more weeks of this garbage!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

ohhh i didnt catch th epart about you having surgery sorry.
i didnt have surgery, so thats one less things i have to contend with.
as for the smell, well i work in a hospital so i get to grab a few extra pair of undersocks for the cast, so hopefully when it starts to smell, ill have a few spares:P

Old 09-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
(female)

Valerie911 HB User

darksilver
HaHA its not the sock you get the bad smell in so much as the boot itself ! good luck! and hope you have a quick recovery

Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

to you too, hope you start doin wahtever it is you like doin soon

Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
(female)

jill60 HB User

I broke my tibia plateau on Aug 4. I couldn't believe how fast the muscle tone disappeared! My Pharmacist said muscle has memory & it doesn't take long at all to build it back up!
I was walking a gf dog, it saw a rabbit & I didn't & it took off & i went down when I hit the wet grass & then she dragged me for a bit. My GF says, I don't mean to scare you but there is a snake laying right next to your head!!!
I ended up having a blood clot in the leg so I haven't got to do any exercising yet!

Jill

Last edited by jill60; 11-30-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #13
(female)

Valerie911 HB User
Wink Re: Broken tibia..now atrophy!!

Oh Jill...have faith..as soon as you can do any exercises with the leg..start ! I came to this site after breaking my tibia also in August and asked about my atropy as I was horrified at the size of my leg. Darksilver and Ozfan and others on this site were quick to to reassure me everything would return to normal. I did the stretching and flexing of my foot, long before I saw the therapist, which he has told me was very wise. (that advise came from this site) I am walking fine now..still a bit sore in spots, but I am out trekking again (on flat ground) can do steps normally up and down, and the swelling shows up when Ive overdone it. I limp for the first few steps in the morning until the stiffness eases up. I walk a mile a day at least..The therapist told me Im 80 % back to normal. I owe a lot of my successful recovery to those here on the site who kept in touch with me and gave me faith. (Special thanks to Darksilver and Ozfan) All the best. It can only get better !!
Valerie

Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

Hehehe im happy to see youre almost back at a 100% Valerie!
As for me, i had my last doctor's appointment Oct. 15th,roughly 2 months after th ebreak, told me i could stop using the boot and start rehab... 4 days later, i was ice skating, 2 days after that, i was taking slapshots at the rink by myself, and the next day, i did a full practice with all my gear one. and a week later i was playing my first game. Been gettin pretty crazy ever since lol, im practically back at 95%, theres just one movement i have a bit of trouble doing with my ankle( but it snot involved in skating so im all good lol), lost the 5 pounds i had gained form inactivity, plus another 5 pound:P
ive also been back at work since november 3rd, so im pretty happy about that too
good luck to you jill, dont despair!

Last edited by darksilver84; 12-01-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
(female)

Valerie911 HB User

WOW you sure recovered quickly ! Do you have any pain at all? My pain is actually across the foot for some reason when Im walking. And the achilles is still a bit touchy. I thought I was doing good when I can brag about walking for 4 hours...but damn...iceskating?? and hockey??? Yes Jill have faith! We are proof theres light at the end of this tunnel hehe....

Closed Thread