It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #61
(male)

jfurste HB User
Re: advice on how to walk with air cast walking boot for broken ankle

Hey guys and gals,

I also broke my fibula with a spiral break and dislocated my ankle. Do yall know if I need to wear my boot all the time? Thanks.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #62
(female)

Sharenlee HB User

Hi JFurste

In the beginning I did wear it all the time. I felt very vunerable without it. As time goes by and the healing process continues you will feel more comfortable taking it off to shower or sleep. I am at the point now where I only wear it if I am practicing walking with a walker or going somewhere outside of my house. I have begun to gingerly take a few steps and will celebrate the day I can walk across the room. It has been 3 months and I am going for a little pt to losen up the frozen muscles. Did you have surgery with pins plate and screws like I did? That is why it takes so long to heal. If it was a normal break 8 weeks would be enough but with surgery it takes longer. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #63
(female)

judi729 HB User

I broke my ankle 7/4 and had surgery the next morning. I have 2 plates though and 8 screws. I have been in the cast for 10 days and will be getting it off on 7/14. Staples out and into an air boot with no weight bearing. I will be in that for another 2 weeks
(no weight bearing) and then bear weight gradually. I am interested in any info someone can give who has been through this and what I can expect. I am scheduled to be in CA on 8/6 and my doctor sees no problem with achieving that. Is she realistic?? Hope so.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #64
(female)

DSloop HB User

Hello, Judi

So sorry to hear of your injury and hope that you heal as quickly as your doctor anticipates. My personal experience was a broken right fibula on April 3rd, followed by surgery (plate and screws) the following week. I was non- weight bearing in a fiberglass cast for a total of 7 weeks and did not progress to a boot when removed. I gradually began taking steps with the aide of a walker, progressing to a crutch or a cane. Within 2 weeks of the cast removal, I was driving again. My doctor did not prescribe PT, although I feel like I would have benefited from it. I am now 3 months post injury/surgery and walking without any aide. I still have stiffness and lack of range of motion in my foot, but according to my doctor, this is to be expected and that it takes up to a year to fully heal. I have minimal discomfort at the area of the surgery, however, the plate feels really funky and I think I have a permanent bruise that follows the length of the plate. Sharenlee can probably give you a better idea of what to expect with a boot. The most important thing is to listen to you doctor and follow their instructions so that you heal properly - this is not a type of injury to rush. Hang in there and remember that the days will turn into weeks. These type of boards are so helpful to those of us who need encouragement and information.

Take Care,
D

Last edited by DSloop; 07-13-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #65
(female)

indigoiis HB User

Howdy,
Nice to find this board! It has already answered a lot of my questions.

I am in my fourth week in an aircast after getting a spiral fracture on my left fibula during a fall while mountain biking. I had to ride/walk/limp out of the woods and ten miles home. Thinking it a sprain, I elevated and iced. Next day went to my Doc who sent me to an Orthopedic guy the day after, who gave me a walking boot. I had crutches from my first doc. He said I could begin walking on it when I was comfortable to. Frankly, I have not been 100% off crutches yet, but walk more and more each day.

The first two weeks I had pain if my ankle twitched left, which is the direction it was heading when it broke. So it did take a bit to get active.

I do sleep with it at night as directed by the Orth, resting it on a big pillow with an old pillowcase, and then pull my sheet and blanket up half over me. Our bed is a mess of sheets! I try to keep the boot clean because I sleep with it. No barn chores for me!

I traveled this week down to visit my parents as my Dad is in the hospital. It was hell through the airports with my carry on slung over my back but I have to say I am stronger in the upper body from the crutches. Meantime, in the hospital with my Dad we make the rounds in the hallways and I have been doing that now two days without crutches. I still use the crutches going from the parking lot to the hospital or if I know I am going to be some place awhile where I may need to move more than the walking cast allows.

I find the walking awkward - kind of a lunge forward with the booted foot, pick up the slack with the good foot. Probably not great on the hip so I am trying to use my core muscles as much as possible. I am wearing a flat shoe - maybe when I get home I will wear my hiking boot or athletic shoe.

I am anxious to get back into training again once the boot is off. I had to give up an October Marathon but I am still riding a September Century ride. I think next week I will set myself up on a trainer on my bike so I can spin. I did take the boot off yesterday and swam in my folks' pool. I kept the injured side stationary and crawled with my upper body, kicking with the good foot. It felt great.

I do find when I change it that the boot is damp from sweating in the arch area of the footbed. I remedy this by using the hairdryer on it for a few moments.

I also got some epsom salt lotion and work that in before putting my sock on in the a.m. after my shower.

I also have used in place of the athletic sock that came with the boot a compression sock you can buy at the pharmacy.
I alternate compression sock with the athletic sock and it seems to work well.

I so love to hike and walk and am bummed that on uneven surfaces, the boot is really unstable. So much for walking the dog.

Nice to be on the board - hope everyone is well soon!

Last edited by indigoiis; 07-15-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #66
(female)

judi729 HB User

Thanks DSloop for the great info - nice to know I am not the only one feeling as I do.
Update to my recovery: I went to my orthpedic doctor on 7/14 for xrays and removal of cast. Xrays looked great - doctor was impressed with her work LOL. My dad video taped the entire visit (lovely memories) and then I was fitted with a MaxTrax air cast. Lovely attire. My ankle felt so good being out of that hot cast and into a breathable one. Stitches will come out on the 22nd of July. My first sit down shower was yesterday and it was heaven!! very awkward getting in ... trying to baby the ankle but I loved every minute of it. I am venturing further with my crutches (no weight bearing yet)... question everytime I get up from from foot elevated position and begin to move with the crutches the area aches like heck ... I am thinking this is force of gravity with the heavy boot on weak ankle?? Soon after it goes away. Anyone know what I am talking about? Also every now and again immense tingling going on (when I lay down) with my toes. Getting better - down to 1 or 2 toes now. Anyone experience this?? My doctor still sees no issues with me going to California on 8/6 with boot of course. Oh the perks I will have at the airport with priority seating on the plane. Great site - thanks for all the important info. great healing to all.

Last edited by judi729; 07-16-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #67
(male)

Robinz J HB User

Hi everyone. Great thread!

I am new to the whole broken bone thing and am full of questions.

I broke my right fibula in three places while blocking a guys spike attempt at the net in volleyball on Monday July 12th. He landed on my ankle on his way down.

I didn't go to a doctor till the next day when I had posted pictures of my nasty zombie ankle on facebook and about five people told me to get to a doctor within a half hour of posting the pics haha.

I was put in a half cast for three days and had it elevated and iced it frequently during that time. I was put in an fp air boot cast on Friday July 16th. It's been three days now and I'm starting to be able to use the boot to support part (maybe 30%) of my weight. Only to get up do I do that tho. Otherwise I'm using two crutches still.

So my questions are that I was supposed to go to B.C. for a softball tourney August long weekend, (which I realize is not an option now) but my season is entering playoffs in about three weeks. Is that a legitimate option for me to even consider being able for it?

Also how much is okay to take it off? I take it off for baths and usually once a day for air, but my girlfriend freaks and tells me to put it back on asap as she thinks i'm hurting my recovery by having it off for even a few minutes. Does that effect me that much?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #68
(female)

indigoiis HB User

I remember the day I went to the Orthopedic surgeon with my break and asked "how soon can I start running again?"
He didn't answer.
"Okay... so, maybe not running. Maybe just on the bike?"
He shrugged and started to speak.
"How about swimming?"
He sighed deeply and said, "You don't get it, do you? You BROKE your ANKLE. You need to stay off of it for at least six weeks. And then slowly start to walk on it after being re-xrayed."

I limped/crutched out of his office in tears.
There goes my planned October Marathon. There goes Sunday club rides. there goes swimming for the rest of the summer. There goes a planned trip to hike in the Adirondacks. There goes a trip to Montana.

I can tell you, four weeks in now, I'm okay with that. Really. There will be other marathons, other century rides, other great hikes and mountain bike rides, and I need to be patient. I need to slow down and let this heal.

It sounds to me that you do, too.

My orth. told me only to take my cast off to take a shower; I wear it all night long. At four weeks I am walking on my air cast but use crutches for anything longer than a block. I raced through Detroit airport on crutches last night to catch a connection. I got a great upper body workout.

I think you need to look at this differently: what can you be doing while your legs are benched? Core work? Upper body? Strength training?

Why go into playoffs weak from recovering when you can go into next season stronger? My advice would be to skip playoffs, offer/volunteer to assist on the sidelines wherever you can, and get that ankle better.

Keep your aircast on at all times except for when showering. Don't push it too soon. If you air it out, simply take off the top and leave the ankle cradled in the cast on an ottoman.

Just my humble opinion - and this has been a very humbling experience for me. I am normally VERY active and am finding this recovery period a little daunting, a little hard - but I know that if I do it right, I'll be back in the races by Fall. So will you. Don't push it!

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-31-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #69
(male)

Robinz J HB User

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I think deep down I know I'm done for the season, I'm just so damn competitive that I think I can beat a broken bone if I will it enough haha. I've just had such a bad spring/ summer with injuries that I'm coming to realize I'm not the athlete I once was. I turned thirty this year and it's literally like I turned old overnight. I've thrown my back out twice since April and it was finally getting to 100% and this happened.

I realize it was a freak accident, but I think your getting stronger for next season thing is a really good idea. I'm gonna spend this winter working out and eating better and getting back to how I was when I was 25. I'm not past my prime yet I don't think, but I need to change my attitude like you've done and not rely on just skills at sports anymore.

You've motivated me and for that I thank you. Maybe I needed to hear that from another active person going through the same thing (mainly the disappointment of losing out on most of your summer).

I have kept my cast on 95% of every day and I'll continue that with the off chance I heal faster than others.. I've never broken a bone in my life so I don't have a previous experience to go off of.

Thanks for your reply. Good luck with the biking and hope you heel quickly too!

Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #70
(female)

indigoiis HB User

I think guys tend to push training more than girls, although, I have to say, I have been injured from overtraining and I agree - it makes you feel old. But I don't think you should write yourself off just yet. A smart approach to training can be made which includes taking it slowly and working your way up in increments - that tends to prevent injury somewhat.

But ha ha - coming from me that's no real advice. I'm 42 and in the best shape I've ever been in my life, and prior to this injury was trying to squeeze any activity into each and every day with little time for rest. Maybe injury is just a message to slow down a little and appreciate what we've got.

Harder said than done, I know.

Update for today: I am almost crutch - free. I left the crutches in the car tonight. I alternate walking bouts with resting bouts. So if I walk around or stand around on the aircast for ten minutes, I force myself to sit for ten with the foot up.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #71
(female)

judi729 HB User

Does anyone have info on suture removal and what is "normal"?
I had sutures removed today after ankle surgery about 17 days ago.
Doctor could not be happier with recovery and progress. Must be all the supplements and multi vitamin I take LOL!
Question - after I got home (about 2 hrs later) when I took off my sock and boot I noticed a small amount of staining on the sock on either side where the stitches were removed. I called my doctor and they said "that is normal BUT if it begins to look bad or starts to show signs of oozing - please call right away." Is this normal? Or am I worrying too much?? Staining on sock is minimal. Steri strips are in tact.
Thanks for any feedback.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #72
(female)

indigoiis HB User

Week 6 update: went to the orth. today for my 6 week follow up and had x-rays taken. It all looks good - I am on the right track and things are healing. Yay aircast! Doc said I had to still use the aircast, but could use it less and less each day (by one hour) until I am completely weaned at 2 weeks. Also, I no longer have to sleep with the thing. Yay!

I just took the 3 dogs for a walk, each in turn, 10 minutes each. I could walk fine except my calf threatened to charlie horse a few times. There is no muscle left there. Also, when I push off from my toes it feels a little sore/strained. So I have to go easy. Then I came home and put it up for about 10 minutes and now I will put the boot back on and do chores. I think that I was a little disappointed about having to keep wearing the boot, but very encouraged by the Doc's positive reaction to my x-rays. So I will keep doing what he says.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #73
(female)

mimbi HB User

You may need to try padding up the boot with pieces of foam (you can cut them from an old egg crate) or even small washcloths folded and stuffed in. I've also had success with super cushiony fluffy socks wrapped around my foot and ankle and stuffed in the boot. That should help with the rubbing significantly.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #74
(female)

carolynpayne HB User

Hi
I just want to say that I'm expericing some of the same problems you are. I broke my ankle(left leg) on 12/12/10 and now I am in the boot. Of course the doctor told me it was ok to walk on it. He said to use the boot half a day and then off the other half. I was just like you, when I put my foot down and put some pressure on it i liked to had a fit/1 It was soooo sore and hurt to walk on it. I made a bad mistake the other day, someone told me I could wear a good tennis shoe and that would help. I wore the tennis all day friday. It felt pretty good for awhile, but made my foot more tender. I am back in the boot now. Feels a little better. I guess it will get better as time permits. I wanted to start walking just as I was before the accident. It sure does feel good though to know that someone else is going through the same thing as I am. Please respond....Someone!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #75
(male)

ronfrac HB User
Thumbs up Re: advice on how to walk with air cast walking boot for broken ankle

The aircast boot should be snug, NOT LOOSE! You want to wear a sock if you feel any looseness in the boot. If the boot is too big, there won't be the proper compression and things could go wrong. There is a sock that is supposed to come with The Walker Air Cast, at least my second proper fitting boot came with one. Wearing a different shoe type may offer some short term relief but could add more problems later. You want to keep any bone fragments from moving within the boot. If the boot is snug, but not overly tight, the outcome is usually good. My problem was I was walking on an aircast boot when I had an untreated Talus injury, which should not have been walked on at all. The injury was missed and it is why my ankle did not heal and is still giving me problems today. If I was lucky and the Talus fracture fragment stayed in the wound location, wearing the boot may have helped. But my injury was misdiagnosed and the fragment was 3mm displaced from the fracture location and walking with this oversized boot I was given, it allowed the fragment not to heal. I had too much movement in my boot, so make sure the boot is the correct one for you. There are several sizes available. Also, if your injury doesn't heal properly in the time the Ortho has given you, you should suspect either a longer recovery period, or there could possibly be associated injuries causing the delay in healing. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread