It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

amarie59 HB User
advice on how to walk with air cast walking boot for broken ankle

I broke my ankle on my right leg 3 weeks ago. I wore a hard cast for the first 2 weeks and then had it taken off. After another x-ray, the doctor said it looked good so I could go into the aircast walking boot and now at the end of the third week, I am attempting to put a little weight on it. He said I could lose the crutches whenever I was ready but I am scared to walk on it. It is still very painful and I have a hard time with filling it with air. It always feels like I have a rock between my ankle and the boot on both sides. Can anyone give me some pointers on what I am doing wrong in this boot and how to go about trying to put weight on it?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
(male)

darksilver84 HB User
Re: advice on how to walk with air cast walking boot for broken ankle

Hey
my god this feels so weird, that someone actually broke their ankle around the same time as me and is posting on this forum
well, for my part, i broke my left fibula.

Anyways, since last monday ive been outfitted with an air cast.
for the first 2 days, i would use both crutches still, but did a normal walking motion with my injured leg, only not putting any weight on it at all, or very slightly, just to get a feeling of how the boot actually "rocks" on the ground.

the, 3rd day, i was walking around with only 1 crutch, on the same side as my injured leg, and i would use it to absorb like 50% of my weight when i would make my healthy leg adavance, to get my leg used to taking weight again( because in 2 weeks, trust me, your muscle mass will have really dropped, and your ligaments and everything will be really tight.)

on day 4, i started experimenting on my own, im my house, going to the bathroom without any help, grabbing some food, etc, but for outdoors still used the 1 crutch just as a safety as the ground is sometimes uneven outside and such.

day 5, completely off the crutches, and today i can walk pretty good, altough not very fast.

but thats JUST ME, you should really listen to your body and go at your OWN rythm.

As for pumping the boot, its also pretty much try and see.
i find that giving around 3-4 pump on my injured side, and then 5 on my good side, really hold up my leg pretty tight.
but whenever im sitting down for a while, i always empty the air out completely, as sometimes it gets a bit strenuous to have my leg always compressed.
Full pump should only be used if your going to walk, and then let your leg relax. so ALWAYS carry your lil pump with you, or else youll regret it.
hapenned to me yesterday, went for a car ride and forgot it, and after like 5 mins of not moving my leg started to throb because of it being compressed... so had to turn back around to grab it.
I also like to completely untie the belts, and actually open up the whole thing if im like watching TV or something where i know iw ont move for the next half hour or more, to let my leg breathe, trust me it feels soooo good. but i leave the leg in the cast, i just open up everything.

oh one last thing, i did experience some sort of pain, but thats mainly due to the ligaments and tendons and muscles being used all of a sudden again, after being in the same position for a long period. i havent felt anything at the place of my fracture, but everywhere else, ive had pain.

ive been fine on tylenol since, and of course, as the day passes, im more and more comfortable with the boot.

i like to call it my Lego leg lol.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me

but like i said, thats just MY experience, you should always follow what your own body tells you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

amarie59 HB User

thank you so much for the info. it is great to hear from someone who is actually going through the same thing. the doctor pretty much said go for it and lose the crutches in a few days but nothing specific. i am going to follow your advice and we'll see how things work out for me. i will stay in touch and let you know. hope you continue to heal and progress as you have so far. thanks again!!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

good luck to you too

Old 09-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

amarie59 HB User

hey...me again...nothing else much to do but sit here and play on the laptop. i wanted to ask you if you are driving yourself. i actually did drive with the hard cast using my toes on the gas and breaking with my good left foot but using the boot on the gas is impossible. i have a child in elem. school and i need to get him back and forth so i got out and practiced in the driveway yesterday. i actually can move my right leg out of the way and use the gas and brake all with my left foot but i feel pretty unsafe. fortunately we live in the country so not much traffic to maneuver through.

are you still experiencing much swelling? mine is still pretty swollen and I have the most discomfort on the inside ankle of my right foot where there was considerable ligament damage (the break is on the outside ankle).

how about sleeping? the boot is very heavy and not comfortable to sleep with at all but i have been trying to adjust.

also, are you doing any types of movement excercises. my foot is sooooo stiff; i can barely move it at all when it is free of the boot and i feel as though my toes are just frozen in place....top of my foot is extremely sore.

sorry so many questions....thanks!!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

well for my part i had no trouble driving at all since day 1, as its my lef leg that sinjured so my right one is free..
and i havent really been on stuff much stronger than tylenol( i took a few hydromorphones the frist few nights but then i was ok.

my swelling is practically all resolved now. when i take my foot out of the boot, all of the detials on my ankle ar eback the way they were before. my toes have purple patches but thats due to the internal hemmoraghing being dissollved and moving towards the extremities, which is normal.

when i take out my foot from the boot,, it does feel like it weights a ton to me, but ive been wiggling my toes almost non stop since i got hurt, to make sure i had no nerve damage (working in a hospital makes you a freak sometimes when it comes to your own health)

as for sleeping, its found that lying on my healthy side, with a pillow between my ankles, is the best position for me, with the air in the boot being slight to none.

as for exercices, well ive mostly been doing things to tone up my quad muscles, like ocntracting your butt cheeks together and holding for a few seconds, then repeating 10-20 times, like 3 times a day
wiggling my toes, contracting my foot within the boot, and also my calf muscle... but thats for me..
it depend, i had very strong legs before, because im very into leg sports like hockey and soccer... so ive always had strong leg muscles.( which is why my break wasnt as bad as it could have been fortunately.)

did you get surgery or anything or was your fracutre stable?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

amarie59 HB User

hello...me again...thanks for the reply. to answer your question, it was a stable fracture..actually a spiral break....no surgery. i was helping my oldest son (age 25) and his wife move into their new home and was walking up the stairs with my hands full, missed a step and rolled my ankle over. i though it was just a sprain and continued to walk on it over the weekend with great pain..finally went to the doctor for x-rays and it was broken.

it has been much more difficult to recover than i had expected. i am extremely active and in decent shape for 49. i am a full time mom and wife to a fantastic family so i've been able to really rest but i am also very impatient and want it back to normal right now!! i did walk most of yesterday on one crutch and will do that again today and start bearing more weight on it. my husband had to go out of town this morning so i drove (all left footed) this morning to take my 4th grader to school which is 25 miles away from home so it is an hour round trip and although not terribly comfortable, it was fine.

i hope you continue to heal and recover. keep me posted.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

quite a story you got there.
on my part, i was on vacation and we decided to go to a place that i guess i could translate as "from tree to tree", that we got up here in quebec.

its basically you wearing a harness, and climbing up in tress and crossing between them on metal cable, and coming down on zip lines from the top of a tree to the ground.
while coming down on a zip line, something went kinda wrong, and i got too parralel to the ground, so i could put my feet properly on the ground when i got close to it and the landing pad was made of big flat rocks.

my foot struck the front of the rock, at roughly 25km/h, + my weight wich is roughly 195lbs, and twisted inwards. big crack, i felt it in my whole body.

my ankle swelled up like a softball ball. couldnt really move my toes or my foot at all for that matter. so they had to unhang me from the cable, get a jeep up to where i was, take me down to the main gate, where i had my car.

my gf drove me to the hospital, but we were in a really far away place, and that "hospital" only had the machine to do x-rays, but didnt have an orthopedist.
the ER doctor and myself(i frequently work with polytraumas at my hospital) could see the break very well, so they had to transfer me to the closest "bigger" hospital wich was an hour away. but they couldnt get a hold of the orthopedist cause he was operating on a trauma.

so they sent me home with only bandages to hold up my ankle, so i had to sleep on it without a cast, and go to the real hospital the next morning, where they finally made my cast.

im 24, and ive played socer for like 10 years, and im still playing hockey like 2-3 times a week+ biking or rollerblading a couple of miles every day or second day, so im pretty much i good shape.
the doctor said that thanks to my really strong legs, i avoided big trouble as someone with "normal" leg strenght would have had his fibula pretty much all destroyed at that area.

i just want to get back on the ice ASAP lol:S

Last edited by moderator2; 09-18-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Don't forget to wear a thick-soled shoe on your good foot, so you can walk evenly and not make your back and hips sore. You want it to be about 2 inches high, the same as the thickness of the middle of the rocker boot. I found that my hiking boots worked well.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

yeah true! i got skateboard shoes, and th eoslde is pretty thick so i have no problems!
kinda weird when im not wearing any though:P

Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

amarie59 HB User

wow...ok that's quite an amazing story...mine is extremely boring and pitiful compared to yours. i am thankful for you that it didn't turn out much worse than it was. sounds like you have it all under control.

you for sure sound like my oldest son...he is very into all extreme sports! spent years riding motocross and now is an avid wakeboarder. i am, of course, a spectator and fan! lol

i am soooooo ready for this whole ordeal to be over!!! i've got way too much to do but it will be one day at a time, obviously, you understand that!

take care!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-18-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
(female)

holly33 HB User

I too broke my ankle 3 weeks ago. Just taking a walk with a friend and decided to get off the beaten path down a hill toward a creek. My left foot slipped down and the right foot rolled away from me. 911, stretcher up the hill and ambulance to the hospital. I never b4 thought about what a broken bone would feel like. I sure knew then.

After x-rays was told it was a tri-malleolar fracture. I had surgery that same night with a plate and 7 screws and put in a splint for 2 weeks. The next visit with the doc I expected a hard cast for the next month but they took more x-rays, thought it looked better than expected and put me in an aircast NWB for 4 weeks.

I absolutely hate it! It's so uncomfortable where the staples were taken out on either side of the ankle. When the scars heal some, I'm sure it'll feel better. In the meantime does anyone have any ideas about coping with the boot?

Last edited by holly33; 09-30-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: edited just the last paragraph because it was awkward.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #13
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

well, i didnt require surgery, but i can imagine that the compression of the air cells agaisnt your wound can be uncomfortable..
this being said, maybe you can use something soft to padd the pressure points?
im on my 6week post fracture, and im starting to walk around the house a bit without my boot, i got xrays in 2 weeks to confirm that everything is fine so i can start physio.. gosh i cant wait to play hockey again

thats quite a break ya got there... hope u get well soon!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
(female)

holly33 HB User

Thanks for the reply. This is the 1st time i've ever been on one of these message boards. It's great to find people going thru similar situations.
Congratulations to you for being able to walk around the house. How's that going - does it hurt, is it stiff. Do you have to have any support? When your leg is down is there swelling?
I can't imagine not being able to play a sport that you love. I'm sure you miss the camaderie. The way you're healing though, it won't be long till you are back at it. And being on skates, that'll be a good way to strengthen that whole area!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:40 AM   #15
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

Whoops sorry there, i kinda lost track of this thread:S
Well on my part, im happy to report that since the 15th of oct. i no longer wear anything at all.
Had my doctor apointement, and the x-rays show complete healing of the fracture.
I even have started training again for hockey, skating, and this sunday ill play my 1st game
im so happy!
ive been doing alot of exercices at home, with stuff i bought following a physiotherapist'S advice, and its working great, in a matter of a week ive like tripled my strengh down there.

how are things shapin up for you?

Closed Thread