It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
(female)

charris5 HB User
Cracked fibula

i had cracked the lower part of my fibula almost where it connects to the ankle bone. and had a cast put on for 4 weeks. the doctor said if i was still having problems to go see him in 6 weeks however i dont wanna waste his time.... the problem is my foot/ankle/calf is still swelling and hurts to put my full weight on, it bruises once in a while and its been at least 10 weeks if not more since i cracked it .. is there a reason its like this shouldi go get it checked out or see if it will heal on its on?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
(male)

darksilver84 HB User
Re: Cracked fibula

k well first off, im gonna say one thing: you are NEVER wasting a doctor's time if you feel something is wrong with you. its basicaly their JOB to look after people. sometimes theres something wrong, sometimes theres not.

secondly, im not a doctor, so i cant really make a diagnosis on you, but im a nurse, and i work in a trauma ward so i see alot of fractures and all.

i just had my fibula broken 4 weeks ago, and im already walking with full weight on it and everything, i got an Aircast walking boot, and im going back for xrays in a month and if everything is good then i can take it off and start rehab.

It all depends on the type of fracture you had, but, from waht u said u seem to pretty much have the same as i do.

im trying to understand your post, do you still have your cast on and are trying to walk on it?

after 4 weeks, i still have some residual swelling and bruising, but its not normal for NEW extensive bruising to occur, though some slight swelling could happen when youre overworking your ankle.

you need to know that after 4 weeks in the cast, youve lost quite alot of muscle mass, and also flexibility on the ligaments and tendons. so its normal for walking tobe a bit painfull at first, as well as awkward.

after a bone is broken, in optimal conditions, it takes around 10-14 days for the broken pieces to re-attach themselves together, but these links cant be seen on x-ray cause they are not dense enough. it takes around another month for the bone to harden to a point where its practically normal again.

after 10 weeks, i think yours should have heal completely, unless something hapenned during the healing process...

after initial casting, youre suposed to have x rays done after 2 weeks, to makes sure everything is still aligned and stable. maybe they overlooked that, and something got displaced..

i would definitly go see an orthopedist as soon as possible, as you dont want a joint injury to heal wrong.
you definitly need to get x rays done on that..

another possibility im thinking of is you might have a pretty good sprain on there, if you did somehting with you ankle that was strong enough to actually break the bone, then obviously there could be moderate damage to the surrounding soft tissue, like ligaments, muscles, tendons , etc.

sometimes, sprains take LONGER than breaks to heal.
but your best bet right now is really get an appointment with an orthopedist, get back on those crutches to lower your weight bearing if it hurts too bad..

good luck, and keep me informed, if you have any other questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
(female)

charris5 HB User

Thanks for replying...... its not that i think im wasting a doctors name its just i feel that he could be seeing people who need him more than i do mine isn't that serious..

I do not have a cast on anymore its been 6 or 7 weeks since its been off, however i was never told to wear an airboot.

What happened was i went to the er to get it checked out and they said i had broke it but it was to swollen to get it casted (my foot and leg) so i had to wait 2 days to go see an orthopedist. and i went to see him and he agreed and had me put in a cast for 4 weeks i wasnt xrayed again until the 4 weeks were up n he said everything was healing fine. that ill be in a bit of pain due to the tendents and ligiments still healing, to take it easy and still use croutches. and said if i was stil having problems in 6 weeks to go see him.... which im considering doing.

I dont think its a sprain only because ive sprained my ankle tons of times even to the point of where it should of broke. and it hurt for like 2 weeks and i have a high pain tolerence so....

Im thinking that i might have nerve damage only because i lose colour in my foot and it goes numb sometimes and i get weird feelings in it..

thanks for replying, if you have any other information i would love to hear it thanks again

Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
(female)

Knighton55 HB User

My experience:

I broke my ankle (no surgery) and put in a aircast boot for 6 weeks, then I was told I could put weight on it and start using a aircast ankle brace and start physical therapy. It took about 4 or 5 days after putting weight on it I could walk on my own without crutches ( ive noticed I'm walking on my heal now) but Im trying to build up my leg muscles. I was told 6 weeks I should be able to walk normal.... My problem at week 7 is, I still have alot of swelling in my foot. The more walking I do, the more swelling.

Closed Thread