It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
(male)

FreddyX HB User
Cheekbone Injury

I was hit in the left cheekbone less than 24 hours ago. This resulted in a small bruise under my left eye, swelling in my left cheekbone (accompanied by slight redness) and a somewhat numb/tender feeling when I touch my left cheek, particulary where I was hit but also slightly in other areas. I also notice this tender feeling if I try to smile real wide. There is really no pain (other than the tender feeling when the area is touched which really doesn't hurt per se). I was told to just apply ice to the area for a few days to see if the swelling/ternderness goes down. My question(s) is how long should the swelling etc take to heal if this is not a serious injury, what home treatment would you suggest and/or whether this sounds like it could be something worse even with very little to no real pain.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
(male)

FreddyX HB User
Re: Cheekbone Injury

FYI - 24 hours has past. It seems like the tenderness has decreased except for the exact area I was hit. There it is still somewhat tender to the touch. Also, it appears I can now 'smile wide' with little to no discomfort. There is still some swelling, and the bruise under my eye seems to have gone down a bit.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
(male)

FreddyX HB User

48 hours has passed- it appears the swelling has decreased a little more on the side of the injury, although it still appears a bit "puffier" than the other side. Still some tenderness in the area of impact only if touched, but quite minor. No more discomfort in other areas other than site of impact. Any thoughts?

Old 10-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #4
(male)

HampshireChappy HB User

I recently had a cheekbone injury after being punched, and it turned out to be fracutred. I also had swelling but that has gone now. Ive started a thread in this forum asking what will happen if I dont get surgery on it.

I think you should go to the docs/hospital and get an x-ray done, im being a bit of a hypercrite saying that as Im avoiding surgery on at the moment, I cant deal with it.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
(male)

FreddyX HB User

OK, 6 days has passed. The swelling is pretty much gone, except for what appears to be some very slight residual swelling at the site of impact, but it is not really noticeable. Also, the area no longer seems tender to touch! The only physical complaint feeling would be with certain movements of the bone, in which case I can feel a somewhat "tightness" feeling with some movemets, but not all. There is still some discoloration under the eye, but it appears to be fading. I was wondering if you think applying heat to the area would be good at this juncture, or stick with cold compression (or both). Any thoughts?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
(male)

darksilver84 HB User

when in doubt, always stick to cold, as cold will never cause further damage!

The point of putting cold, is to reduce the swelling, and numbs to area, thus reducing the pain.
Heat would activate your blood flow, and possibily cause a re-swelling of the area.
Heat is sually good to use on muscles+ligament problems, after the initial phase of healing is done, as it rushes more blood to the area wich helps repair the damage done, and also helps loosen the said muscles and ligaments.

but i dont see any real use for bone really:|

Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
(male)

FreddyX HB User

Thanks! Cold it will be!

Closed Thread