It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #16
(male)

sh4d0w HB User
Exclamation Re: Very Painful Cramps in the Neck, Throat and Tongue

WOW!
This is the first time i have found anything online that relates to this issue.

The pain is excruciating when it gets a hold of you, the first time i experienced it, i was asleep and i awoke to the pain, as i sat up i felt "POP" on the right hand side of my neck, i thought nothing more of it and went back to sleep, the same thing happened a month or two later, the pain started randomly (if anything, i sneezed) and it gradually got worse after 20 minutes, i was sent to the hospital, i couldn't speak loud enough to be heard by the receptionist, i could not swallow or move without this pain almost bringing me to tears.
I sat there waiting for an HOUR to be seen and i just squeeze my neck as if i were strangling myself and "POP" the instant relief was amazing, i felt so much better.
From that experience i have spent so much time trying to find other cases.

I have had the same problem occur now, maybe 8 - 10 times, i have finally found a way to relive this and encourage this "POP" sensation.

Around the 5th episode i was lay on my bed with my feet hanging over the side of the bed, just trying to rest, i did a "Sit-up" motion with my legs lifted, hands by my side, and "POP".

Each time this has happened i have found a place to lay down where my legs were lower than my hips and did the same sit-up movement and it does relive the pain and "POP" takes place.

I hope this helps for anyone else experiencing this pain.

Martin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
(female)

throatcramp HB User
Re: Very Painful Cramps in the Neck, Throat and Tongue

Thank you! I used ice and that seemed to help...

Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #18
(male)

djgiga HB User

Ive had this problem ever since high school. I too am a high anxiety type of person so that might have something to do with it. When I do a big yawn or open my mouth really wide to eat a giant sandwich it sometimes triggers a really tense and sharp cramp on the left side of on the bottom of my jaw: from the hinge to the chin. Since the beginning I have found the way to stop it. I close my jaw and then push really hard with two thumbs on the knot of muscle I can feel cramping under my jaw. I feel the muscle sort of "shake" down and relax into its original position after a min or so. I don't think its tmj that's a joint problem this is definitely some kind of muscle cramp. Eat more potassium, eat bananas more. More sleep will probably help too.

Last edited by djgiga; 01-08-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
(female)

keziah23 HB User

I have had these types of cramps in my throat off an on for years, since I was a teenager at least. In the fall of 2008 I had to have neck surgery. They went in through my throat and I was intubated and had my throat muscles and other "stuff" retracted for 3-4 hours while in surgery. Ever since my recovery these cramps have gotten significantly worse. I get them on average of once every few days and sometimes several in one day. Rubbing my throat helps them pass faster, but sometimes bad ones will last several minutes and I really can't speak or do anything when I have one. This has caused me to think it has something to do with the muscles in the throat/neck going into spasm. I haven't really found anything that will prevent them either.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #20
(female)

kdab HB User

I see this thread is some what old. But I too have this condition and had an episode this weekend that lasted apx 6 hours. I usually can stretch neck and pop back in but struggled this time. For me the pain goes into ear also and begins to feel like an ear ache. I went to ER a few years ago and was told it is a type of muscle cramp and I need to stretch my neck muscles. Do muscle relaxers help anyone? I am considering going to an ENT, wondering if an MRI would provide any information. Was nice to see I am not the only person that others understand. The pain is very intense - swallowing almost impossible and feel so wiped out after it passes.

The Following User Says Thank You to kdab For This Useful Post:
ANGELIQ (06-08-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #21
(male)

angie201108899 HB User

I'm having the same issue, was considering asking for a CT scan. What did yours show?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
(female)

kdab HB User

I have not followed up and tried to get a scan or anything. It is on my to do list. Has anyone had their throat scoped or scanned and found anything out other than it is a type of muscle cramp or spasm? I agree with what someone said earlier, the best way to describe it is a charlie horse in the throat. Many years ago a doctor prescribed nitogylercin pills that they use to use for heart conditions thinking it would dialate the muscles in my throat. That did not help.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
(female)

ANGELIQ HB User

I'm new to this page and suffer from the same problem, did you ever find any help

Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
(female)

ANGELIQ HB User

I take muscle relaxers that do help keep the throat craps at bay. I take 2 a day, but I get cramps everywhere else on a daily basis. If my throat even starts to feel a little pull I pop another muscle relaxer fast and start to pray.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
(female)

ANGELIQ HB User

I am suffering w/ the same problem. Muscle relaxers help keep the ones in my throat at bay but i get them all over even between my ribs. Did you ever find any help??

Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
(female)

ANGELIQ HB User

Have you ever found help? I just found out I'm not the only one! I have been suffering w/ this for years and get them all over even between my ribs. Docs. are trying to help but all I keep hearing is what a rare case I am.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
(female)

ANGELIQ HB User

Muscle relaxers do help. I get these stupid cramps all over in places you would never think to cramp up every day. However the muscle relaxers do help me not to have them as often, especially in my throat. If I even feel a twitch in my throat I take an extra one.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
(female)

MissLoriss HB User
Question Re: Very Painful Cramps in the Neck, Throat and Tongue

I just decided to look up this weird neck pain, which I considered to feel like a Charlie Horse as well. I see that the last thread that popped up in front of me was 2008, but figured, what the heck....
I have had a real bad run of luck over the past year with my health. I had a bilateral bunionectomy in January 2012 (I'm only 34, I've needed them fixed for years, my daughter just had the same surgery 3 months ago). Two months after that I had very frequent episodes of hot/cold flashes, dizziness, sometimes nausea, and really bad memory (making for a tough semester of school in the medical field--but I passed). One night when I had convinced myself that I had a bad bought of the flu, I got up to go to the bathroom, suddenly got very tired & apparently said, "I need to go to sleep," followed by hitting the wall unconciously, crashing to my knees & I was out cold for about 3 minutes. Within seconds of the fall I was sweating so profusely that I was literally on my dining room floor in a puddle. I army crawled to the bathroom (with my whole family flipping out), and proceeded to pass massive amounts of blood upon using the toilet (gross, I know). Needless to say, I woke up in an ambulance. I was diagnosed with, get this, "the flu." But once they tried to walk me to the bathroom, the second I stood up, I was on the floor again. Well, after TONS of bloodwork, my hemoglobin & hematocrit levels were coming back at 6 gm/dl (normal is 12-16 gm/dl). I spent a week in the hospital, got 6 blood transfusions, and after being probed from every possible orafice, nothing was found, so the docs diagnosed me with bleeding small intestinal ulcers, just because that's the only place they couldn't get to. I've been treated for ulcers ever since (5months now), and the bleeding stopped, not the other symptoms. I haven't had my period for 3 months, nobody can answer why that is. I actually had to have knee surgery 4 months ago to repair the damage sustained from the fall. Ever since all this strange crap hit me, I get the wierdest pains! My upper back/lower neck/shoulder blade area has gotten so bad that I can't sit, stand, or even lay without excruciating pain. I've started seeing a chiropractor twice a week. His adjustments help for 24-48 hours & it all starts over. He's been adjusting me for 4 weeks now. A few days ago my left arm started falling asleep, the ring and pinky fingers tingle like crazy & my arm (sometimes both) start feeling very heavy. The numbness never totally goes away. Two week ago I was diagnosed with a UTI after noticing that my urine smelled like ammonia. But today I sat up from doing my homework & got this horrible pain in the front of my neck/throat/back of tongue area......actually radiated into my ears, feeling like I was being poked through the eardrums. I could ONLY explain it as a Charlie Horse. Then I read everyone's postings & I'm blown away that it's NOT only me, dispite my run of bad luck. I'm going to the chiropractor Friday, but I think I'm calling in the morning (it's 10:26pm on Wednesday). I'll ask chiropractor what he thinks. Oh, and just in case you hadn't picked up on it......stress is a MASSIVE issue in my life right now.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
(male)

jamestravis98 HB User

Try reaching your chin with the tip of your tongue. Hold for a few seconds and then relax. Stretching exercises. These will be given to you by the physical therapist and can only really help if you do them daily for awhile. Do not stretch to the point of pain! Try to stretch first thing in the morning as your neck may have cramped up while sleeping.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
(female)

aquilusdomini HB User

MissLoriss, did you ever get diagnosed because what you described sounds a lot like MS or lupus (my boyfriend's dad has MS and my mom's cousin has lupus, the symptoms vary but what you described sounds a lot like what they've experienced over the years). I hope you were able to get a diagnosis and that you've gotten effective treatment

Reply Reply