It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #31
(female)

aquilusdomini HB User
Re: Very Painful Cramps in the Neck, Throat and Tongue

Hi, i too have had this happen but it's only happened twice, the second time was today. It seems it was brought on by my jittery (tense and shaky) tiredness (i pulled an all-nighter) and when i yawned the left side of my neck, throat and tongue cramped up just brutal. Left me with a sore throat for a few hours. It seems mine was caused by fatigue, but lately i've been on prilosec and i may also have a small vitamin/mineral deficiency so less potassium in the blood could be an issue. I found pinching the moving muscles prevented them from continuing to spasm. For women it's not uncommon to get goofy cramps the week before, the week during and the week after periods due to hormonal and blood changes. For people in general, both male and female, dehydration can cause wicked cramping. I guess i'd suggest drinking gatorade/pedialyte to replace any lost potassium and fluids, drinking water, avoiding caffeine, getting plenty of sleep and avoiding aggressive/wide yawning.

Oh, and the first time i had this cramping issue i was swimming underwater. The cramping went up my neck, jaw and into the ear and was excruciatingly painful for days. I feared i had done something really terrible to my neck and ear but luckily the pain went away after two weeks of soreness and related headaches. I didn't do much swimming after that, apparently my muscles couldn't take the water pressure (which was only 8 feet under).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #32
(female)

crhoang HB User
Re: Very Painful Cramps in the Neck, Throat and Tongue

I have this very same condition - charlie horse in my throat. My last attack longest attack lasted for 17 1/2 hours. It took over a year to get a diagnosis, but my neurologist finally diagnosed me with Glosspharyngeal Neuralgia. I take seizure medicine, which has solved the problem. I think it is worth looking into for anyone who is running into dead ends. This may not be your problem, but it is mine. Hope this helps.

Reply Reply