It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

mizukiyukiava HB User
Exclamation Numerous Dents in Shin Bone?!

Hi, I have discovered a lot of dents in my left shin bone. I was idly running my hand down my shin while I was stretching, and immediately noticed that my bone seemed to be missing chunks of it. The dents run through the entire length of my bone. The dents aren't big at all, they're all less than half a centimeter deep, and about a centimeter wide, but they are populous; there is less than a centimeter of space of regular bone height between each dent. Also, they seem to be covering my entire shin all around, but I'm not exactly sure because the calf hides part of the bone. Although they aren't that deep, you can kind of see the dents on the bone by just looking at my skin at an angle. I have also discovered similar dents on my right shin bone, although they're no where near as numerous, and I have also discovered similar dents along many other bones.

I highly doubt that all of these dents are injury-related, because there are just so many. However, if this helps, I used to ice skate for about 3 years, and sometimes got accidentally kicked with a toe pick by some of my friends when they slipped on the ice. But again, I don't think that is responsible for the dents because, as I said before about the dents being in numerous places, there are also some dents on the edge of the bone under both my eyes.

I have had these dents for quite some time, but never thought much about them until some of them started hurting occasionally. Sometimes the pain is very brief, other times it lasts for a while. I started researching into it, and came across the term "lesions". From what I understand, they are cloudy images on x-rays, and are sometimes called "tumors" and "cysts". So I take it this means that lesions are bumps, not dents? I used to think that what I had was bone lesions, but I don't think so anymore. Could anyone help me with my dents problem and/or tell me why I have these dents and/or give me a diagnosis? All opinions are welcome, too.

Please and Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

Morganio HB User
Re: Numerous Dents in Shin Bone?!

Hello,

What you have sounds like something generally known as "shin splints." (especially if you are a runner). Shin splints causes bumps along your shin (although you can also have them naturally). Shin splints is really a very generic term, which could mean a number of different things. Also- although what you are describing sounds like shin splints, there are many other things that could cause the same symptoms. I would recommend going to your doctor, and describing what you have posted here. You doctor may just tell you to rest your legs, ice them, and take anti-inflammatories, or he may suggest you get x-rays or bone scans (to rule out other causes). So I wouldn't stress about it, but I would make an appointment with your doctor (or even go to a drop-in clinic).

Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
(female)

mizukiyukiava HB User

I see.. Thanks very much for your help

Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
(male)

kmacleod HB User

HI,
I have noticed my right shin is pitted with a large vein running down the length. Did you ever find out what your shin problems were? Mine seems to be getting worse and am starting to be a little concerned.
Cheers,
Keith

Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
(male)

kmacleod HB User

HI again,
My computer froze when I sent my message to you, so I am re-sending. Sorry if you already have it. I, like you, have a pitted shin. It seems to be getting worse and now my foot is hurting. Did you ever find out what your shin problem was? it sounds exactly the same as what I have.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Keith

Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
(female)

mizukiyukiava HB User

No, I never found out what my shin problem is. The pain eventually went away, though. Sorry that I'm not much help.

Closed Thread