It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
(male)

steffyyfz450 HB User
Re: Scaphoid Surgery Recovery time

I broke my scaphoid in the left wrist in march. The ER sent me to an orthopedic surgeon, and he casted me for six weeks. After he took the cast off, he kept saying "Well, I don't know if it's healed. Lets give it more time." So, I finally went back recently (Sooo tired of loss of motion, numbness, tingling.. etc) and just found out today it's a non-union fracture, and I'm slated for the 'ole screw and bone graft on Dec. 18th. I work in a call center, and type for a living - Can anyone share their stories with me? How long was your recovery time, and level of pain? The surgeon I'm seeing now says I should be good to go back in about 2 weeks - I'm doubtful.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #17
(male)

steffyyfz450 HB User

I forgot to say thanks for any advice. I've never had surgery before, and I'm afraid that the pain is just going to be horrible - although I've lived 8 1/2 months with it fractured.

Last edited by steffyyfz450; 11-25-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #18
(male)

Machesky287 HB User

It's been seven months since the surgery and the bone still has yet to completely heal. It feels slightly better than it did while broken at this point, but I haven't been wearing a splint anymore. The pain after surgery was very intense, but I'm pretty sure it was because of a stitch I tore in my sleep. Don't think you can sleep without the brace! It's slowly but surely healing and I will update after my next appointment.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #19
(male)

rufiotgl HB User

Well Guys anbd Gals

After many many months (3 and a bit) and after many X-rays and different casts, iv finally returned to some sort of Normality!! My Scaphoid was completly snapped and not helped by the fact i had 2 fractures in my wrist also. Although i am now back playing sport, i am no where near able to function as i did before i messed my wrist up. I am unable to bare my own body weight and struggle with certain gym weights too. I also have a severe lack of mobility & still quite allot of pain. According to my firend who is a surgeon, this apparently is something that i will probably have to live with for the rest of my life. WHICH SUCKS as i am an extremly active person.

In Closing, i dont want to put a dampner or say yours will heal the same.......but i would expect the worst. These bones/injuries very rarely heal as they are meant too.

best of luck

Dan Scott

Pain is merely weakness leaving the Body

Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
(male)

CanadianClown HB User

I had my surgery July 13 09. Was in a cast for 7 weeks (2 with plaster, 5 with fiberglass). For the most part it was not as painful as people say - but still ached a bit. When the cast was removed there was a little atrophy but the wrist was not as weak as i expected.

Thursday (12/03/09) i get my xray to see how much has "knitted" together. I to have the screw and hip bone transplant so it takes a LONG time to heal properly.

I can deal with not being able to go rock climbing/martial arts/ snow boarding (reason for my injury)... but i cant handle not being able to even lift light (under 30 lbs) weight!!! its driving me nuts!

Its my understanding that this can take well over a year to fully heal, so looks like its Xbox and long walks for me... Sigh

To all my brothers and sisters with the same injury - get well soon!

Cheers,

-Eric

Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #21
(female)

gthompson HB User

Hi, I fell back in September and thought I just sprained my wrist. Finally, went to the doctor and had a scaphoid fracture. I had the surgery where they inserted a screw on Nov. 19. I am out of my cast and in a splint for six weeks. I started therapy this week just on my fingers. Not starting therapy on wrist until after my splint comes off. I am wondering how anyone is doing since you had your surgery and how well is movement in your wrist. I am really worried about healing time and if I will get use back in my wrist. I know the therapist says it will happen you just have to give it time. So is anyone back to 100%? I am really down and depressed and need some encouragement. Thank you.

Last edited by gthompson; 12-08-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #22
(male)

garsmi HB User

just an update on length of time for everyone. It has now been 8 months since my screw & vascular bone graft & the bone is still healing & there is still pain in the wrist area. Dr believes the pain isn't from the bone anymore. Thinks it is more associated to the scar tissue and the surgery. He thinks it will take around 1 year from surgery date for that pain to subside. I do have most of my range of motion & decent strength. However I still cannot lift anything heavy or even support my body weight on it

For those who had the procedure recently....Hang in there it is a long slow healing process. I will try to remember to post again at the end of March for a 1 year update.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User

Not so sure about how long to deal with the pain. I had my surgery June 09 and just recently started feeling a lot of pain again. My doctor told me months ago that arthritis would probably kick in this winter so now i wonder why i had it done to start with.

Recently had to return to waitressing due to being laid off from work and a single mom to 3. I use my good hand to carry the trays and the weight and just my hand that has the screw and anchor to give the customers the plates and cups. I dont know if it is from over using it or not but hearing pops now and in a lot of pain today so have a appt to go and get it xrayed in a little while to make sure everything looks ok.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #24
(male)

CanadianClown HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernee View Post
Not so sure about how long to deal with the pain. I had my surgery June 09 and just recently started feeling a lot of pain again. My doctor told me months ago that arthritis would probably kick in this winter so now i wonder why i had it done to start with.

Recently had to return to waitressing due to being laid off from work and a single mom to 3. I use my good hand to carry the trays and the weight and just my hand that has the screw and anchor to give the customers the plates and cups. I dont know if it is from over using it or not but hearing pops now and in a lot of pain today so have a appt to go and get it xrayed in a little while to make sure everything looks ok.

Good luck!
I would say get a second opinion on your wrist. My surgery (graft/screw) was june/09 and within 3 months I was out of cast and had a brace for heavier activities. Now at over a year I get the pain from over flexing the wrist... but I can exercise (support full body weight) lift free weights and chin up... heck i was using a chain saw over the weekend!

The idea of getting the surgery is to avoid the serious arthritis that will develop from a non-union and its efforts in trying to heal.

If you are close to Toronto I recommend seeing Dr. Watson at York Central Hospital. He performed my surgery and everything has went well.

I hope that helps.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
(male)

Henryz HB User

I've just joined so I can reply to this thread. It's interesting reading everyone's experiences.

4 Weeks ago I went ice skating and fractured both my scaphoids, I now have 2 fiberglass casts and a very awkward time in the shower and just about everywhere else.

I play Xbox in my spare time, does anyone know if this could be making my situation worse? I don't feel any pain from it other than a bit of an ache after several hours.

Luckily I have a 'MadCatz' xbox controller which is small enough to hold in my casts

Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #26
(female)

UPS HB User

I've had the same surgery and was wondering how are you doing? I am 8 weeks into the process and the doctor won't give me an estimate of return to work! I am bored since I am a UPS driver and am used to moving all day long. Thanks

Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #27
(male)

Henryz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS View Post
I've had the same surgery and was wondering how are you doing? I am 8 weeks into the process and the doctor won't give me an estimate of return to work! I am bored since I am a UPS driver and am used to moving all day long. Thanks
Hi Ups, I would be very interested to hear more of your story. You say you have already had an operation?

I had 2 broken scaphoids, one of them still remains in a cast. It's been 5 months now and I am looking to sue for medical negligence.

I, like others, know how much this small injury affects everything.

Henry

Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
(male)

set2302 HB User

Hi Henryz, first off sorry to hear about the injury! I hope as im writing this some time after your post your scaphoid as healed up.

I have had the surgery (bone graft and screw) at the beginning of feb and have just had my cast off last week. Initially my surgeon told me that I could have been in cast for upto six months.

This was mainly due to my fracture being right down near the bottom of the bone with the only blood supply coming in the top! However he also went onto say that it is nye on impossible to predict a time scale for full recovery as everybody has a slightly differing quality of blood supply to the area. Of course there are a whole number of things that could affect this!

Anyway as i said I hope your injury has cleared up!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #29
(male)

Henryz HB User

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

Unfortunately I've had an absolute nightmare I'm still waiting for an appointment for someone to even decide whether or not I need an operation. I broke them both in December and I'm still waiting for something to be done. The health system here in the UK is absolutely terrible.

I just hope all this waiting hasn't caused too much damage as I'd like to be able to resume my normal activities one day.

It sounds like your scaphoid is healing well, was it too sore to drive or do any similar activities after the operation?

Thanks,
Henry

Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #30
(male)

set2302 HB User

I know the NHS is a nightmare!!

When I first went to X-ray after having pain in the wrist for around a year (i play rugby and just strapped it up) they told me there was no fracture. It was only 5 days later in orthopedic clinic did they realise it was a clear proximal pole fracture. Had I waited for them to pull their fingers out I wouldnt have seen anybody until August (was in clinic 21st Feb) then they wouldve "decided" if I need the op.

Because my job involves driving I looked at going Private. Off set against loss of earnings had I waited to go NHS it wasnt too bad. The £3000 price tag still made my eyes water but I couldnt afford to be in cast for the most part of 2011 (especially as im getting married in oct)

I had the op on March 10th and came out of cast on thursday last week. I had bone taken from my ulna which was packed into the affected area and screwed in place. Im already back on my push bike (with a support) and can drive. I would reccommend the op to anyone, just a shame the NHS we pay so much in tax for is a joke!

Sorry this turned out to be an essay, any more Q's just ask!

Closed Thread