It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
(male)

jellinger HB User
Bone tumor discovered on my proximal femur

Hello all,

For years I have had a problem that every time i sit down, my right leg would begin to go numb and I would get some pain in my groin area. This became a problem driving as I can't react quickly enough if there is a problem. Several years ago I decided to have it checked out, so I went to my family physician and mentioned it during a physical. He did x-rays but apparently the x-rays he took revealed nothing. I also had a CT scan, but this revealed nothing as well at the time. A few months ago I went to an internist for another physical and I mentioned it to him. He shrugged it off as my blood vessels being incorrectly anatomically placed and suggested I sit on a pillow. Finally, I went to my podiatrist (I had my hamstrings lengthened when I was in the first grade) thinking that it might be a complication from my old surgery. He had me get up and walk and immediately noticed a problem with my hip and referred me to an orthopedist.

The orthopedist took x-rays again, and this time discovered a massive tumor on my femur near the hip. He measured it on the x-ray at 13cm(5in) x 8cm (3 in). They assume it is benign because the pain has been going on for so long and I have not had other symptoms of malignancy. I was going to have an MRI done, but due to insurances problems had to postpone it until I could have it done at another hospital. In the mean time, this orthopedist referred me to an orthopedic oncologist and my appointment is on the 8th of September. While this is only nine days away, I am having trouble focusing on anything but this tumor. I have been reading here on this site about everyone's experiences with bone tumors, but I haven't found one that fits the mold for what I have been experiencing and seen on the x-ray.

I have so many questions about what is going on and I thought some of you might have insights to help me. May I post some questions here and if you have any insights, would you reply? I think this will go a long way in helping calm some of my fears. I am male, 29 years old, and the numbness and groin pain has been occurring for 8-9 years.

The tumor looks like couds or a head of cauliflower coming off the femur. Again, the measurements are above.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what type of tumor this might be? Again, the x-ray doesn't look like any other x-rays i have seen on the internet.

Second, to what extent might they have to go to repair this? Due to the numbness I get when I drive, I would rather them remove the tumor than just have it observed. Do you think it is likely that I might be able to have a same day surgery and be on crutches for a few weeks or is it more likely that the surgery will be more extensive with a bone graft being necessary or pins put into the leg for support? Any insights would be nice.

Third, I know all recovery times are relative, but what is an average recovery time for something like this? I am a teacher and school just started a week and a half ago. Would I be out of school for a long period of time? Is this something I might have to put off until next summer or could i take a couple of days off and return to school on crutches a couple of days later?

Again, I realize that most of these questions can probably only be answered by my doctor but any insights you might have would certainly go a long way in easing my mind. Thank You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
(female)

DazzledStar HB User
Re: Bone tumor discovered on my proximal femur

HI!

My name is Jamie. I have been through surgery for bone cyst/tumors twice now. I'll answer as accurately as I can!

I have so many questions about what is going on and I thought some of you might have insights to help me. May I post some questions here and if you have any insights, would you reply? I think this will go a long way in helping calm some of my fears. I am male, 29 years old, and the numbness and groin pain has been occurring for 8-9 years.

The tumor looks like couds or a head of cauliflower coming off the femur. Again, the measurements are above.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what type of tumor this might be? Again, the x-ray doesn't look like any other x-rays i have seen on the internet.
[COLOR="Red"]
I'm not 100% sure on what type of tumor it could be. Mine was very circular and engulfed the majority of my upper tibia. I had an aneurysmal bone cyst. * Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Second, to what extent might they have to go to repair this? Due to the numbness I get when I drive, I would rather them remove the tumor than just have it observed. Do you think it is likely that I might be able to have a same day surgery and be on crutches for a few weeks or is it more likely that the surgery will be more extensive with a bone graft being necessary or pins put into the leg for support? Any insights would be nice.

I'm highly doubting this would be same day surgery...it would probably be very similar to my first surgery (I've recently had a second due to mine coming back). If surgery is necessary, your doctor may do something called bone cutterage surgery. They remove the tumor and replace the hole with cement and either donor bone or your own bone from another region of your body. Since you're femur is a major weight bearing bone you will definitely not be up and about for a while. Mine was in my tibia, I stayed in the hospital for 2 days for my first surgery and was somewhat up, going to the bathroom, etc on my third day when I went home. I was on crutches for 2 months. I was able to ride a bicycle again and climb stairs without stumbling about 3 months post op.

Another factor is if the tumor has spread to muscle and soft tissue. My tumor/cyst came back and spread to my muscle this time and into my fibula. They had to remove a lot of muscle and 2 inches of my fibula. I now suffer from drop foot and am in physical therapy to repair it. I have very little feeling in my foot at all and cannot lift it up, nor my ankle. Surgery in your legs is tricky when it involves muscle because it can affect your nerves and other regions of your leg. Even if the tumor has not affected your soft tissue or muscle your doctor may have to move or perhaps may damage some of it during removal surgery. Once again, this may or may not happen. I'm not trying to scare you or anything!

Third, I know all recovery times are relative, but what is an average recovery time for something like this? I am a teacher and school just started a week and a half ago. Would I be out of school for a long period of time? Is this something I might have to put off until next summer or could i take a couple of days off and return to school on crutches a couple of days later?

I'm doubting you'd be returning to school in a few days...more like a few weeks if surgery is necessary. My full recovery time from my first surgery was about 3 months. I could walk with the aid of crutches for these 3 months though. How fast you heal and how fast you feel comfortable enough to go back to work depends upon your body and also your tolerance for pain. I have a very high tolerance for pain and am very, very independent. I tried cleaning my floors upon my arrival home from my first surgery...I failed! Don't be afraid to ask for help, you'll need it.

Please keep me posted on how things go for you! I'm about 3 weeks post op from my latest surgery for my bone tumor recurrence. I'm actually off of my crutches because it didn't deal with a weight bearing bone this time but stuck in a leg brace because I can't move my foot or ankle.

It takes time to heal and the entire ordeal is a bit scary, please feel free to let me know if you need anything.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-07-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
(male)

jellinger HB User

Thanks, Jamie,

I appreciate all the information. My surgery is this Wednesday so I will let you know how it goes.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
(female)

DazzledStar HB User

Ah, your surgery was today! I hope everything went well, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellinger View Post
Thanks, Jamie,

I appreciate all the information. My surgery is this Wednesday so I will let you know how it goes.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
(male)

jellinger HB User

Well, sorry I haven't posted sooner, but my operation is done. I was in the hospital for 2 days, but the surgery went well. The doctor didn't have to cut any muscle to remove the tumor, but it was the size of a canteloupe. The surgery was on Wednesday September 30th and I was back to teachingl the next Wednesday. I was on crutches for about 3 weeks. Today was my first day driving to school and I walked without a crutch all day today. The best part is that I have not felt my leg go numb once since the operation. It is a dream come true!

If anyone has any more questions I am more than happy to answer. Thanks for all your help Jamie, it was comforting to read about your operation, and mine wasn't too much different.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
(female)

DazzledStar HB User

I'm so glad to hear everything went well! At least your off of the crutches now, as they tend to be a pain to lug around and also under your arms after a while. I understand what you mean about your leg not going numb, after my first operation I was surprised to not feel a pins and needles sensation anymore!

Did they discover what kind of tumor it was?

Stay positive and stay well!

-Jamie

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-29-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Removed Quote.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
(female)

MIPSTER HB User

I see you had your surgery. Sorry I didn't read the whole list of responses before sending a reply. My daughter had a 5cm aneurysmal bone cyst removed from her proximal femur removed last June. She is still suffering. We go back every 3 months for 2 years to make sure it doesn't recur. She has a place with 4 screws into the plate and a screw into her hip as well. She has had problems with her ITB (IT band) that are a direct result of the surgery. She limps and cannot run the way she used to. What has your recovery consisted of and have you had any other issues because of this surgery?

Last edited by MIPSTER; 05-05-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Didn't see other post.

Closed Thread