It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

mominky HB User
Mouth pain

Does anyone with tmj suffer from tongue pain or pain in the floor of the mouth. Ive been dxed with burning mouth syndrome, but I believe it to be related to tmj? Anyone else?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Mouth pain

My tongue is strained and hurts underneath the left side - it aches all the time and for a while made swallowing difficult - not just in chewing but the natural reflex of swallowing which occurs when our mouths are closed. So then my throat began to hurt b/c I couldn't swallow which also keeps it moist/wet and I started to feel like I had a lump in my throat. My problem started when my lower jaw rotated or deviated out toward the left side - as that occurred all the muscles on that side of my face and neck were affected - and the tongue is a muscle as well so it was not spared from this - it could not function the way it used to or needed to. As this progressed a tomorgram also showed that my hyoid bone located beneath and behind the tongue in the throat area also shifted and became elevated or raised.

Not sure if my response is of any benefit to you and I am not sure how it could relate to burning mouth syndrome unless whoever diagnosed you was just grasping for some explanation of your pain and symptoms.

Usually burning mouth syndrome is related to the lack of production of saliva - so the salivary gland would be involved and should be examined for infection, blockage, cysts, etc - or something could be affecting the makeup or ingredients if you will of your saliva (chemicals, hormones, digestion disorders or even organ dysfuntion like the kidney, liver, pancreas or gall bladder) - this would be more likely though if all your mucous membranes were affected. Some prescription meds can also affect the mucous membranes as can high levels of Vitamin A which once again points to some type of metabolic dysfunction and/or adverse reactions to certain meds or nutrional supplements.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 11-16-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply