It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
(male)

lokobreed HB User
Shoulder Decompression Surgery - Post - Feel like clavicle is sticking out

Aproximately 9 weeks ago I had arthroscopic shoulder decompression surgery performed because I had shoulder pain. The doctor said it was due to an impingement in my shoulder.

I have pretty much full rotation back in my shoulder but if I try to hold myself in good posture it causes pain to my left shoulder and almost every time I move my shoulder there is a slight crack or pop, especially if I move anywhere overhead. I told my phsyical therapist about this and he said it is normal as long as it does not cause pain, but the thing is, is that it causes some slight pain.

Also the main worry I am having is that my shoulder bones (clavicle/acromion) now feel completely different then the ones on my good arm. On my shoulder that I had surgery on, the part of your shoulder that sticks up a little bit, right next to it, believe my clavicle bone, is sticking out and I feel like there is almost a space between the clavicle and the bone it connects too. It hurts when I do certain exercises the PT has me do but he sems to think it is normal.

My main worry is that, about 1 month into the surgery I had lifter some luggage about 30 pounds with my shoulder, was not thinking and had also had to carry my sister one night when she was intoxicated down a flight of stairs and she is about 140 pounds. Could any of this peramanetly messed up my shoulder? I know I should not have done either of them, but when I asked my doctor and the PT they both said that it would have not messed anything up because it was just bone the operated on... I am really worried though because the structure of bones in my shoulders feel completely different.

Should I get an X-ray? second opinoin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Shoulder Decompression Surgery - Post - Feel like clavicle is sticking out

The reason it feels like there is a gap between the clavicle and the bone it joins(the scapula) is that in this decompression surgery they remove about 1/2 inch of the end of the clavicle. That's how they decompress it...they cut some of it off but it opens up the space in the AC joint.

I've had both shoulder AC joints done and it takes about 3-4 months for it to really feel better. The end of the bone has to heal over.

From what you wrote, you sound like you're on the road to recovery and on schedule.

good luck.............Jenny

Closed Thread