It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
(female)

Stabevrian HB User
Does anyone’s left/right rib cage stick out more than the other?

I am 34 year old female and back in Oct 2009 my left side rib area started hurting. I went to bed one night and when I laid on my stomach I could feel that the left side was poking into the bed- it feels that there is extra bone on the left side and I don’t feel it on the right side. When I look in the mirror you can see that the left side looks different than the right- like it sticks out more in one area.

What is going on? I have been to a few Dr’s and they cannot seem to explain in it and don’t seem to think it is a big deal. It is going on 6 mos and not getting better. Some days the pain is worse than other days.

Anyone else have this? I just find it strange that it just seemed to happen overnight.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Does anyone’s left/right rib cage stick out more than the other?

When I was a kid,I noticed a rib or two sticking out but I could not go to a doctor for small stuff like this.It was depression time.I said to my sister,who was a school nurse,that I guessed this was from "rickets".(we only got a pint of milk in total for six or seven people).I don't think I got much good ,from my share.I was the youngest and had some enforcers in the gang.My sister laughed ,and my family would never reveal that information,anyway. Good luck to you .You have my complete empathy.
Bill

Last edited by friendsville; 04-01-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Does anyone’s left/right rib cage stick out more than the other?

Stabevrian, I have attached a post from the arthritis board that I replied to.

Quote:
Is anyone aware of any type of arthritis/problem that would only cause pain in the left underarm? I have been to a few Dr’s and no one has any answers. I’ve had consistent pain in my left armpit since Oct- some days worse than others, but I can always feel it. I’ve had breast ultrasound done and some blood work.

Some days it will shoot down my side too or make my entire arm sore. But, it seems to originate under the arm.
Since the left rib area is hurting as well, I would definitely suggest that you focus on a muscle issue as a starting point. Do you live in a state/province where massage therapists are licensed? This would definitely be a good starting point. Since you have already sought the help of a doctor, it would do no harm to at least try a massage therapist who is experienced in "medical massage". Alternately, you could have a consultation with a physical therapist. Try looking for information on "thoracic outlet syndrome" and especially "pectoralis minor syndrome" and see if you have any symptoms that are similar to that. With having the lipomas removed, maybe something irritated the nerves involved with the above syndromes.

I see that you have been to a rheumatologist. Was it the rheumatologist that suggested costochondritis? Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that attaches the ribs to the breastbone. This would be VERY painful at the beginning. ie. painful to take a deep breath

Since you have not had a resolution with mainstream medical, please try searching for answers with regard to muscle issues....Just a thought.

I hope this helps. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 04-01-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added info

Closed Thread