It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

sayray HB User
Thumbs down broken 5th metatarsal..questions

I broke my 5th met. on my left foot in the beginning of March playing soccer. Turns out it was a jones fracture. I was put in NWB hard cast later that week and had it on for 5 weeks. The bone was not healing fast, as all jones fractures do, and i was put into a walking cast. Ive been in the walking cast for 4 weeks and have just started to use a bone stimualtor. I go back in 4 weeks. After reading about everyone else's progress with the same fracture, i feel as if my doctor is pushing the process.

Questions: Is my doctor moving me along to fast, such as weight bearing too quickly, etc? Will this bone stimulator work? How long should i wait until i start playing my sports again? I play volleyball, should i jump on it when im done or wait a bit?

Sorry for all the questions!

Sara

Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: broken 5th metatarsal..questions

Having just broken my 5th metatarsal, and not knowing actually if I have a Jones Fracture or an avulsion fracture, I can't speak from experience, but I do know in my research these past few days that a common complaint is that the doctor rushes weight bearing with a Jones fracture. I guess what you need to find out is if it is a true Jones fracture (some doctors call any fracture near the base a Jones Fracture), and what the rate of healing is. If it's not progressing, and if you have lots of pain with weight bearing, get another opinion.

Is your doctor an ortho?? (or podiatrist)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

sayray HB User
Re: broken 5th metatarsal..questions

it was a true Jones fracture and my doctor was a ortho. I feel like he did rush weight bearing a lot and i will suffer from it later on. Right now i have been back into sports for 3 months and have only had a few pains. But i got a follow up exray and there is a distinct crack in the bone still, my doctor states it wil never heal completely...which im not sure i should believe. But im taking his word for it and if i make it through basketball season with out an injury i guess he was right after all.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Exclamation Re: broken 5th metatarsal..questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayray View Post
it was a true Jones fracture and my doctor was a ortho. I feel like he did rush weight bearing a lot and i will suffer from it later on. Right now i have been back into sports for 3 months and have only had a few pains. But i got a follow up exray and there is a distinct crack in the bone still, my doctor states it wil never heal completely...which im not sure i should believe. But im taking his word for it and if i make it through basketball season with out an injury i guess he was right after all.
Often a Jones fracture is healed "enough" to walk on it, even though it's not healed all the way, so be careful as it can easily break again.

Closed Thread