It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

ctucker225 HB User
Has anyone had their ulnar tfcc repaired

Hi I am having problems with my wrist and the ortho thinks it is my tfcc. He has ordered an MRI and if it comes back it is a torn tfcc my options are to immobile for 2-3 weeks (i have been in a brace for 2 weeks with no relief as well as a cortisone injection) or to have surgery to repair it.

How long were you out of work with just a tfcc repair and what was the pain level? Was it more than 2 weeks? Physical Therapy after? My wife is having surgery on May 27th and we were going to try and do the surgeries at the same time if possible so I won't have to take off more time from work.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

amanda7116 HB User
Re: Has anyone had their ulnar tfcc repaired

Hi,

I had my TFCC repaired in July 2009 because my ulna bone was completely unstable. I don't remember being in any significant pain at all, although everyone's different. I was on morphine in the hospital and slept fine, then only had a slight ache and itchiness on the incision site once home - took regular painkillers to manage that. I stayed in hospital one night. They gave me a 'half-cast' up past my elbow in theatre and I kept that on for 8 weeks (well they changed it twice within that time to keep it fresh). I went back to work after just 2 weeks but only to do light duties. I'm a chemist and use my hands for most tasks, so I was given typing jobs etc.
Within 3 months I had returned to hockey training and played my first games back in october. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Ctucker, I had surgery for a torn tendon, ligament and cartlidge. The pain wasn't bad afterwards as it was so painful prior to surgery it was a relief. I was really tired for about a week after surgery but that was due to the anesthesia and the fact I have fibromyalgia. You mentioned your wife is having surgery at the same time. Will she be mobile afterwards to help you? If is kind of difficult to use your hand afterwards and your wrist will probably be in a cast. For the first few days I was told to keep the wrist elevated. Also do you have someone to drive both of you to your first post-op visit after surgery and someone to drive you home from the surgery? Usually you can't drive until after your first post op visit.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
(female)

ctucker225 HB User

Thanks for getting back to me. I had my mri and the doctor is concerned that I have something causing blood loss to my middle bone in my wrist and the tge tfcc is not the problem. Right now he wants to just keep and eye on it and see if there is any changes. My wife had her surgery and no noone would have been able to do all the fdriving so it worked out.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Did the dr find out what is going on yet?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
(male)

Ed59 HB User

Mel52,

How did your wrist turn out? Did everything heal okay? Pain-free?

I had the same procedure performed 4.5 months ago...Ulnar extrinsic ligament repair plus tfcc debridement, but I'm in more pain now than before the surgery. Rehab has been difficult. They want me to do it every day, but one session leaves me so sore that it is three days before I can even possibly tolerate another one. Getting really discouraged at this point. This is already my second surgery and I'm nervous that the problem is not fixed. Just trying to find out if you went through the same things.

Closed Thread